Day 14. My journey

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've given into the dreaded antidepressants. I've managed my depression for the last 5 years with exercise. However I thought, could I really go on battling for another 40+years. Not really. I'm a strange case. I suffer Hughes and lows. 6 months happy. 4 months lows. I said I was bipolar, but my GP says not and this it's just me being normal and feeling good, when I think I'm high on life.

so I've started 14 days ago. not really had severe side effects apart from the loss of appetite to start with. but then I feel its a feeling of emptiness in my stomach (is this lack of food or anxiety) I've now started with a knot in my stomach and really bad morning anxiety. I've never suffered with anxiety, so this is obviously a side effect. Had a bad couple of days yesterday and Monday. I made sure I went to work today as I felt myself going into a deeper hole. I always feel better around tea time though. This started only just a few days of starting the medications.

Hoping for type of energy soon, when I get energy I can cope and go to the gym. Its the zapping of energy that kills me. Then it spirals.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Phil,

sorry to hear you've been struggling. I would see how the 20mg works at once instead of separately. I feel I haven't been doing good, but in comparison to others I must be. I keep pushing myself. I went to CBT on Saturday, that was ok. Then I dragged my husband into the city for a few drinks and something to eat. Sunday I went to work for an hour then I went to the supermarket, which is a big thing for me, I then cooked breakfast, I also did a roast in the afternoon, something I haven't done for a while and then we put the Christmas decorations up. I still have low mood, even though I'm busier but I'm seeing small jokes appearing and little laughter's. This morning I was tired and I didn't want to go to work so I stayed at home, and then I thought that I was going to have a bad day, but I jumped out of bed mid morning and said I should go to work. I have a spring in my step! My posture has also changed, I'm not into myself, I am sat right up, I. I've seen a little hope today.

Still getting headaches and those muscle twitches, but I'll take them over depression.

Hi Ryan, my side effects haven't really changed, they haven't got worse. I'm trying to forget that I'm taking medications and just get on with it.

• Posted

Day 20. Not as much energy today which I have to expect but I've still come to work, less muscle twitches but still have headaches. nausea seems to have subsided now. I haven't low low mood today I'm just doing ok, which I will take.

• Posted

Hi Joanne, gosh you're doing really well so far at 3 weeks in! I think you're going to respond well to this stuff, I've seen an article on my journey that said if some patients started getting mild side effects and some relief early in the treatment, it often is very successful, so all the best. I think one of the other factors in your recovery is that you've got loads of distractions to focus on instead of the effects of the drugs, that's a huge help. Please don't be too worried if you do get a bit of a downer suddenly (a "blip" as it's called on here!), that's normal too, even after you've started feeling much better - they can last a few hours, days or sometimes a bit longer - it happened to me in week 7, and I was so disappointed and frustrated by it, thinking all that time was wasted, and that the drug would never work. Actually the drug was still working behind the scenes, just a bit slow, still rebuilding my neural pathways and transmitters with the lovely serotonin apparently. I'm just coming up from it this week, and starting to feel quite good at last. There's so many side effects that are often unique to the individual, but probably caused by the drug. They will pass off in time, again that depends on the person. I'm pretty sure you'll do fine, so don't stop taking the pills!! If you feel you're truggling at any point, just get on here and let us know, at least we can offer some support & understanding of what you're going through - better than many other in fact, as we're going through it at different stages too. Best Wishes.

• Posted

Hi Phil, sorry didn't see your reply. Yes hoping it will be successful. Good to hear you're starting to feel better and the nausea/ lack of appetite is going. Feeling unsure about my feelings today but I will keep battling on! All the best.

• Edited

Day 21, up for work again, I started with energy now I feel so tired, unsure if I've caught what y daughter has. Feeling a bit meh today, I don't know if I'm down or not. A little unsure what the feeling is. Keep battling on.....

• Edited

Hey Joanne, it's probably the fluo causing the fatigue, it's got me again this morning even though I've been quite active lately! This stuff is very strong, but it's working, I'm sure it is. Feeling a bit sort of flat this morning, not up or down, just a strange and slightly unnerving calm, a lurking sensation of dread trying to push into my thoughts, very weird. Well you're 3 weeks into it, brilliant!! First month just around the corner in time for Xmas, I'm sure by then you'll be feeling much better about the progress even if still going through it side effects wise, keep on going and you'll feel better again this evening, best wishes to you and your family.

• Posted

feeling low today. no energy. I came home from work yesterday afternoon around 1pm and just slept until now 11am. I'm hoping I've come down with something. Fingers crossed x

• Posted

Day 23. Very anxious this morning. I threw myself into work early this morning. I have 2 parts to my job. The office part and the physical side of things, where I like to help out. Today I did the physical side so kept really busy all morning. I think it does our minds good to distract it from our mental health problems because by 10am the anxiety had gone. I must go to work every day as its good for my mind instead of stating at home. Hope everyone has a good day. Keep fighting. x

• Posted

Hi again, you're getting closer to the best Xmas present ever getting past these side effects. They are almost certainly causing all your symptoms now. They will go. I'm starting to feel very different right now, and suddenly today, and have done gradually since last week, much more energy and the anxiety is almost gone, in fact as I write I realize I don't have any, omg!! I know that we can get these blips, and had one a few weeks ago, but now I know what's going on and can deal with it knowing it'll pass off. I even did a 500 mile return drive in 2 days, and even getting kicked off the M4 twice last night didn't bother me, bit of fun getting lost in the Cotswolds! The body produces a lot of cortisol (the fight or flight hormone like adrenaline) in the mornings which can feed the anxiety and make you nauseous, mine was exactly the same, and usually gone by 11am ish. I think you're nearly there if you've had a few glimpses of better things already, just keep on toughing it out. I wouldn't have believed I'd feel like this today if anyone had told me last Monday even!! And it's a Sunday and pouring down outside, but I just went out for a walk and could actually smell and really feel the rain, omg I so hope this is the way it's supposed to be, I've been missing out on so much life for so long, this is a wonder drug when you get there. Keep on going Joanne, you've got to, you've come so far along the journey now it'll be mad to give up now! All the best wishes to you, dig deep.

• Edited

Day 26, I have no side effects anymore, the nausea and lack of appetite has gone thank god. Ha da few issues at work over the weekend so I have been so busy, I even did a 13 hour shift on Saturday. Had the best sleep Saturday night. I've noticed my energy levels increase, especially this morning. I've been into town to do a few jobs and thought about starting the Christmas shopping and looking forward to it. Good to hear you're doing well Phil.

• Posted

morning all. How is everyone doing. The forum seems to have gone quiet. Im not jumping for joy yet. Seems a slow process but I'm not having negative thoughts or having doom and gloom.Im going to try another month then increase if need be.

• Edited

I'm.mid way through my 7th week. This weekend has been a good weekend. yesterday was a very good day and I was super productive and full of energy and for the first time I was happy. I've started to take my medication on a morning now instead of lunch. I feel better on a morning too. I'm still having muscle twitches though.

I also bought a light box. I get really low in the winter, so I was thinking the slow process could be the time of year. I will try anything. hope everyone is doing ok.

• Edited

Happy New Year Joanne, it's working at last isn't it!? after only 7 weeks, that's very good news. I'm so very pleased for you, a new life starting in a way I guess. I'm now in week 14 I think, and almost one month at 40mgs. The increase from 20 mg was ok, just a few days of mild stomach ache and sweating at night mostly, but nothing like the initial effects, so don't worry about increasing if you have to. I'm glad I did go to 40 as it seemed to kickstart the effectiveness, and could always reduce it if the doc agrees. I'm feeling so much better, putting weight back on, looking better according to friends. Still getting a few moments of fatigue, and a bit of twitching and shaky hands, but it's a small price to pay compared to the huge benefits! I'm starting to feel a bit happier, but not as much as I had expected, although I know I'm not at the full benefit stage just yet, but on the whole it's changed my life, in fact I'd say it's saved it. I'm going back to work next week so that's going to be interesting after 6 months, but I'm feeling quicker physically and mentally and more rational than in years. Just a bit low today but the grey gloominess and post Xmas blues don't help much either, but spring is just around the corner, it's going to be very different for all of us this year after the hell we've been in, and for some just starting the journey, don't forget by March you're going to be over the worst of it, just keep on going, dig deep x

• Posted

hi Phil ive just replied to your other thread. I'm so happy for you. getting back to work will give you a boost and a purpose. keep in touch with your progress.

• Posted

feeling really good for the 4th day in a row. I am actually scared. i dont want this feeling to end. I'm so productive and high on life. Hoping it's not mania. I've ofter thought I'm bipolar. my Dr says I would have obvious behaviours. He said it's just me being 'normal' if this is normal I am so envious that people get to experience normality day in day out.

• Posted

Hiya Joanne, well it's working ok by the sound of it! I'm still just a bit down today but I'm sure it's just a "blip" after Xmas and all that. I know they can come suddenly and it's pretty disappointing after feeling really good for a few weeks or so. My first was a few weeks ago after I'd been doing well on 20 mgs, but it only lasted a week or so, then after feeling flat and unemotional it suddenly passed and back on track, but it worried me that it was stopping working after all that time. It was still working in the background though, it's just that fear of the unknown. I'm pretty sure your doctor is correct, he'd know if you were bipolar! Welcome to the world, it's a remarkable drug, and you've broken through, it's something to be very proud of!! Ok, you might have a few ups and downs, but the meds are clearly working because you're better than before! You're still relatively early in the treatment, it'll keep on getting better and it does take a while to get used to the new feelings of being a different person. The meds are really only stimulating the production of serotonin in the brain, which is what it should normally do anyway, so it's not changing you into someone else, just making us work the way we should, similar to the way insulin would help a diabetic person or anti histamines help people with allergies etc. It's just that mental health has still got such a negative stigma. Just be you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.