Day 21 post posterior repair and need some cheer 😢

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello ladies

I have been feeling so positive for the last few days, but now feel the lowest I have for a while. I feel nauseous this evening and whilst I haven't got the external issues some of you have described, I do feel very tender inside. Whilst not constipated, my digestive system is not happy about all the chemicals I am introducing. I feel bloated and uncomfortable and have a headache. I just feel ill and I am fed up and cross.

When will I start to turn a corner? I need some light at the end of this tunnel (normally I would be amused by that unintended pun, but.... ??)

Helen

Xx

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Helen

I am waiting for my first consultation to assess my situation, I am expecting to need at the very least anterior repair. Glad to have found this forum, so very supportive and encouraging. From what I have three weeks or so in you can feel worse, which is grim after feeling ok and on the mend. I am sure other ladies who have been where you are now will reply tomorrow and  give you lots of good advice and encouragement - I just wanted to reply rather than see your post without a reply yet!!

Although you say you are not constipated, your body has had to deal with lots of chemicals (as you say) and feeling headachy and nauseous could simply be a result of overload, processing all the pain meds etc and healing. Drink loads of water and get lots of rest, if you feel you have a fever or do not feel better soon see your GP to rule out infection. 

Hope you you feel better soon xx 🙂

• Posted

Thank you for replying, especially as you haven't even had your surgery yet! I wish you well with your plans and hope all goes well for you xx

• Posted

Keep smiling Helen; these set backs are sent to try us!!! My plans have all gone out the window this week and I have just headed back to bed for the week pretty much so far! On the plus side I am reading some really good books and trying to be positive about this 'me' time rather than frustrated: easier said than done but I'm trying!

If things are more uncomfortable get checked by the GP, that is what they are there for and keep the tummy moving with whatever it takes, it's still early days remember. Big hugs xx

• Posted

Thanks Trina. Make the most of your rest, heal well and share your book reviews 😀 Xx

• Posted

Thanks Trina. Make the most of your rest, heal well and share your book reviews 😀 Xx

• Posted

I am day 11 post op and I have to say other than a tiny bit uncomfortable and slight bleeding I am fine. Have resumed my old routine without overdoing lifting etc.

So please for anyone who may be having this op some heal really well and aren't off their feet for too long.

If I'd read this forum before with all the negativity I don't think I'd have had the operation. Sometimes you have to choose your attitude. I'm a busy lady and can't afford to be held up in bed for weeks.

• Posted

Hi Sue

I was Like you and doing really well but had a setback with a stitch abscess yesterday at day 18. I am busy too and certainly can't afford to be in bed for weeks but equally you can't help getting an infection.

This forum is for people to come to with their worries so accordingly there is bound to be more worries here than positive stories and I'm sure people realise that pre-op. I don't think it is negativity or a choice of bad attitude and I think it's a bit unfair on all the lovely ladies on here to suggest that.

I hope you continue to heal brilliantly but if you have any unavoidable problems that arise rest assured we will all be here for non judgemental support. Trina x

• Posted

I am glad your experience is so positive. We are all different and all out journies are unique. Mine has been a mixture of both, but mostly positive I have to say. Last night was a dark moment when I was alone and needed reassurance.
    • Posted

Hi Su

Glad to hear your recovery is going well, however as it is major surgery I would urge you to be really careful with going back to your normal routine, as you put it. Just because you don't have much pain doesn't mean you shouldn't be resting. The advice is total rest for 2 weeks, and that recovery will take between 6 wks and 3 months. Everything we do works our pelvic floor so if you don't rest it properly, you run a huge risk of having to have more surgery, and the chance of that being successful is only 30%.

I'm sure we are all busy women with families and jobs etc but resting is essential . I have a work colleague just like you who rushed back to 'normal' and only 2 years later needs it all doing again.

So from one very busy woman to another, please take care.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Trina

How are you feeling today? Any better?

Love Sue

(Not su....haha)

• Posted

Hello sue; yes antibiotics are kicking in so pain has reduced a great deal which is a relief!! have cancelled my over ambitious plans for this week which means Natalia is overjoyed at being allowed to watch a lot more kids tv than normal 😂 I sometimes wonder why i plan all these exciting days out when a bit of tv interspersed with 'hobby crafting' ticks all her boxes!! Needless to say she is giving me lots of hugs and is glad that I am no longer 'toxic Trina' as she called me in the early windy days 😂. How are you getting on? X

• Posted

Good to hear things are improving. And yes, kids are always happy with more tv!

Not such a great day for me today. I'm anxious about seeing occ health tomorrow as I worry they might not be supportive (typical nhs ) and I'm also very tired so that doesn't help.

Once I've got that appt and the one with my gp out of the way, I think I'll feel better.

Thanks for asking hun

Keep well

Sue xx

• Posted

sue have you got some information to take to occupational health regarding recovery and timescales? I've often found OH nurses (and it's been mentioned on this forum in the past) have little urogynaecology knowledge and experience. I have known them say nurses are fit enough to return to ward work after 6 weeks which is totally unrealistic.

• Posted

Just be honest with Occ health; it's no good you being back before you're ready! I had to battle them for them to agree for me to go back at 6 weeks to do clinical work as they wanted me to go back non clinical so we have compromised on a clinical phased return; it's not in their interest to rush you so maybe suggest a non clinical return initially and a phased return as well.

The consultant I work with came to see me today and bought me flowers; I was so touched that he took the time to bother, many Drs wouldn't!! His secretary came too so I feel back in the loop with all the work gossip 😂

Hope it goes ok, if in doubt ask them for time to think about things before agreeing to anything! X

• Posted

I wouldn't expect a nurse or any other NHS worker to go back doing clinical work at 6 weeks following prolapse repair. 

• Posted

No I agree but I am only going back to do outpatient clinics so I only have to sit and talk to patients so no physical work to do as such so should be ok 👍 X

• Posted

I couldn't have even done that at 6 weeks to be honest. In fact sitting was painful even then. I returned to work at 13 weeks on a phased return but not on the wards, I was a manager.

• Posted

Hmmm that is good to know and def food for thought. I need to speak to Occ health so may delay things esp if this abscess takes time to resolve! Thank you for the advice xx
    • Posted

I think you need to be careful. The South Tees information on the Genitourinary Home page (Useful Resources) is useful if you haven't already read it. It's a case of being very careful and at 6 weeks you'll probably still feel tired and a bit sore. Just look after yourself as I keep saying it's major surgery x

• Posted

Yeah I agree which I think is why I'm so anxious. I asked to see the doctor there but don't think I will be. The thing with my job is that as Im a midwife in a birth centre, 99% of my ladies are in a birth pool. So I have to lean into the pool every 15 mins to listen in to the baby's heart, not to mention reaching in once the baby arrives, and getting into all sorts of positions for births and suturing. I'm also a lone worker so I worry about any obstetric emergencies and not physically being able to manage. My husband advised me to spell out exactly what I do and tell them categorically that I won't be fit enough in a week and a half. Also I would like to be off longer and go back to admin/non clerical once I do go back. Im seeing my gp on Friday.

Thanks for the advice

Regards

Sue x

• Posted

sue you definitely can't do anything like your job requires you to do for a while yet. I'm sure your GP will agree. x

• Posted

Thanks Trina. How lovely that he came to see you.

And yes I'll take my time with them and I'm try not to get upset!

Xx

• Posted

Hopefully. I'm the team leader of the birth centre so although I do all the admin, I'm also clinical so there's plenty I can do that's non clinical.

Thanks, I'll let you know x

• Posted

Sue very similar to what I was doing, non clinical and not on the wards though.....unless they were desperate. There will be plenty of non clinical work for you to do I'm sure x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.