Day 3 and in agony

Posted , 7 users are following.

Home on day 3 and in agony. Gonna take some tramadol before bed. Is this much pain usual?

4 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it can be your body has been through a lot, I went through it, it was mainly at night time when I had gone to bed and even now my scar and muscle will let me know when I have done too much, what pain killers did the hospital give you
    • Posted

Hi. Got paracetamol and tramadol. I have had a busy day getting ready to come home so hopefully drugs will work and I'll get some sleep.
  • Posted

Yes Karen. The first two weeks for me were the absolute worst. Hope your healing comes swiftly and smoothly!

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Its normal Karen, I found first 3wks hard, but gets gradually easier. I am 7wks post op now, still getting bad days if I over do things. You need plenty of rest, keep ur chin up and stick with it.
  • Posted

I will be 8 weeks post op on Monday my pain killer was conformal, 30mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol, some people get given ibuprofen but I can't have these because I am diabetes and have to have 5 metformin, 4 glicazide 1 Tibetan, 2 devastating daily and the occasional quinine because I get leg cramps due to the diabetes, I have got to do a blood test next week such fun NOT LOL
    • Posted

Marilyn, I take Nefopam 30mg and paracetamol 500mg as I can't take anti inflamitories due to severe asthma, I am suffering from terrible cramps in both legs when walking, i had this before my operation. Seeing GP tomorrow, is this what u had.
    • Posted

Wow, so much for you to remember. I was expecting there to be pain but presumed painkillers would reduce to something manageable. I've never had pain like this. Oh well, took my pills, propped up in bed do will hope for sleep. X
    • Posted

no mine was at night time the cramps because of all the pain killers my sugars were all over the place I am also asthmatic too but only take puffer when I need to should real-time every day I think I take rubbish lol so much for trying to be healthylol
    • Posted

Yeah ur right. If your really concerned about ur pain, contact ur consultant or GP. Dont suffer. X
  • Posted

Hi karen yes it's normal I was in agony day 4 and 5 when I was at home after discharge. I was discharged with codeine and paracetamol no morphine which I was having in the hospital and also all the other pain relief that is administered and then you are sent home to manage your own pain😩takes a few days to get it right. I remember walking round the bedroom moaning thinking this can't be right, once I'd got the medication sorted after talking to my daughter who is a nurse, by about day 6 and 7 I started to feel a little better. I'm 8 months down the line now and glad I had the op not back to complete normality yet but getting there good luck and be kind to yourself and don't expect miracles it takes time, regards

Vicki xx😄

• Posted

Thanks for that Vicki. I have been reading this forum before op and really thought I knew what to expect. Seems not lol. Had a good sleep although woke up with such back ache.
  • Posted

Hi karen

it's early days so don't expect too much of yourself

Night time pain is the worst - I am 3 weeks post op and still get pain and very sleepless nights

I used to find that having a walk round eased mine

You have had a major op - take your pain meds regularly and take time for

your body to heal - small steps every day is the key

You will have good and bad days - just learn to accept that that is how it is and that everyone's recovery rate is different

Hope you have a good night

Kind wishes Linda x💤💤

• Posted

Thanks Linda. Can't believe I actually slept though night. Thank you tramadol lol. Feel a bit brighter today.
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

what is so lovely about this site is that we actually do know what you're talking about 

when I woke up, from the op and my lower half was still numb from the spinal I was surprised how chirpy I felt   Even managed to eat!  I had late surgery and when the pain kicked in(bit of a shock) the staff managed my pain very well including sleeping pills, so after day one, when we get up, and told to get up and walk, we do!  Physio comes , more exercises , more pain. By night time I could have screamed. Again the staff were good with pain relief (and hot chocolate, to which I am now addicted, and putting on weight because of it). 

But I still only got about two hours sleep 

next day after next to no sleep they get us walking up and down stairs , with sticks, I never was offered crutches.   Watch the op, no wonder we hurt 

Lying on my back is a nightmare, I suffer burning heels so have to sleep down the bed with heels hanging over the end! I never sleep on my back and am craving lying on my side   I hate it!!!!!😁😁😁😁

i have a confession to make, I was told NOT to sleep on my side until six weeks. I am two weeks post op today. I had a lie down this afternoon and put a big pillow between my legs. I tentativey rolled over onto my good side. Bliss😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

im sure I read on here that some of you did the same. It did worry me though so I got a duvet and put it in front of me to stop me rolling over. So scared of dislocating it. One of my worst habits is twisting. I soon know I have done it, sharp pain in the groin. Don't do it again, until next time!  

Best day yet for me pain wise. If I hurt i take my codine, I still hurt, just not quite so much 

i have had my best day yet, so what I am trying to say, in a very long winded way, is the agony will get better. Slowly, but better.

We will all be here, ask anything, moan, tell us how you are. I would like to know. 

I feel really lucky to have found this site it has passed so many long and lonely hours. 

So, goodnight Karen may the painkillers kick in!  Don't wait to be in agony before you take them best to manage the pain constantly. I was afraid I might get addicted to them, but I don't take that many now.  Your body needs them for the first week or so

go easy on yourself

it will get better, just gradually 

good luck😄😄😄 hope you get some sleep

goodnight all fellow hippies who can't sleep 💤💤💤💤

m

• Posted

Carol, you have just described my whole experience lol. Visitors in hospital thougt I looked fab day 1 and I felt it. Got a bit carried away with the feeling OK so a bit of a shock yesterday. I suppose I did a lot with physio, stairs, getting home, more stairs. Was lovely to be back home with my little ones though. Hubby is looking after me and I'm going to take it easy today. Can't believe I slept though last night. I am a side, curled up sleeper and my back is now hurting worse than my leg, need to find a better sleeping position. As soon as I have staples out will try pillows and side, thanks so much for reply. It really does help having advice from those who know. Thanks

Karen x x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.