Day 3 of new dose of thyroid med

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I recently posted about my lightheaded and dizziness I've been dealing with for several weeks now. Just wanted to update and say that today is day 3 on my lower dose of meds. Unfortunately I haven't noticed any change yet. I"m still extremely dizzy and lightheaded when I stand. How long before I should start to see a difference in how I'm feeling? I can't stand just laying on the couch all day every day...I do this because I only feel ok when I'm laying down. I need to get back to my normal daily activities. I'm thinking of calling my doctor on Friday if I'm not feeling better. 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I only felt dizzy during extreme interval workout training. I hope this resolves for you.
  • Posted

Hello!! I have been dealing with this thyroid and I'm still trying to get the tremmers and the aching joints under control. I had three Drs recommend removing the thyroid and alot of the side effects are suppose to go away. I hope they get your meds right and you start to feel better. Surgery is my last resort.

• Posted

I haven't always been hyperthyroid, just recently my levels went crazy and put me in the hyper state. I've asked about getting the surgery. I feel as if they could control my levels easier that way, but my endo doesn't seem like she wants to do it just yet. I think I was being overmedicated and that's what put me in to the hyper stage. 

• Posted

Hi I'm dizzy all the time and I lose my balance. I find I have to stand still for a few minutes when I first stand up and when I start moving I can appear drunk as I lose my balance. This has been happening for quite a while now and shows no sign of letting up. I take 5mg of Carbimazole now will be having my bloods done again tomorrow so will see what the results are. 

• Posted

Please let me know how that goes. The longer I stand the more lightheaded I get and I almost feel like I"m going to pass out. I sit down as soon as I feel it coming on and sometimes have to stay down for a while. Even sitting up is a task sometimes. As I'm writing this I'm laying down because sitting up was too much. 

• Posted

I wifi will do. When I stand up I'm usually bent over for a bit holding on to a chair or hands on knees until the dizziness passes.

• Posted

Hi Latoyahughes

Dizziness and almost fainting is how I was originally affected by hyperthyroidism. Mine is due to a toxic nodule but the symptoms are the same as other forms of hyperthyroidism. I started at 10mg Methimazole but had to cut the dose after a couple of months as I felt weak and tired. End result is I reduced med to 2.5mg and felt okay. I stopped Methimazole for 2 months and although my numbers weren't bad, other than low TSH, I got so dizzy I kept losing my balance. I couldn't walk without holding onto walls. I went back on 2.5mg Methimazole about a month ago and I feel so much better. 

Was your med increased or decreased?  What med and what's the dose you're taking? Are your numbers way out of range? In my case, I was never too out of range, other than TSH, but felt awful. It took a few weeks to feel real change after going on meds, which I'll have to probably remain on as toxic nodules don't usually resolve on their own.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

That's interesting 🤔 I have to put my hands out when walking around the house as I feel as though I could fall over. I'm on 5mg of Carbimazole at the moment have blood test tomorrow. Problem I have is the hospital don't communicate with GP so I have had 2 lots of bloods done and have no idea what the results are 🙄

• Posted

Hi there. My levels are as follows...numbers in parentheses are the standard ranges..

Free T4 .97 (.77-1.16)

T3,Total 140 (60-181)

TSH .090 (.340-4.82)

My dose is now 137 mcg of synthryoid.

It was lowered from 150 Tirosint.(I asked to switch to synthryoid to see if I could get results) When all of this started I was on 200 mcg of tirosint, after 6 weeks when down to 175 and after another 6 weeks of super low tsh she lowered it again to 150. I just had these labs ran Wednesday and just started the 137 dose on Friday the 1st.

• Posted

Hi

Your T 3 & 4 are good but TSH is low. Were you diagnosed hyper or hypothyroid? Because if your TSH is low, why are they giving you more hormones? 

I started out hypothyroid at least 10 yrs ago and was put on Armour Thyroid. A couple of years ago my TSH dipped to .25 which is below normal range, so doc took me off Armour. My TSH rose and fell for a while then zeroed out, which is when I was diagnosed hyperthyroid and I was put on Methimazole, antithyroid med.  My last TSH - just a week after going back on Methimazole, my TSH was .11 - still low. I seen another Endo in January and hopefully TSH will be higher.

Your levels are about the same as mine last blood test a few weeks ago. I just started walking like a "sober" person. The dizziness even affected my foot/ankle, because I think I was turning my foot to stabilize. I know, it's a lousy way to live. I dreaded getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom because I literally fell into furniture while trying to walk straight. I'd dive back into bed. 

What's your diagnosis? Did they say why your TSH is low? I'm confused about the synthroid, unless you were hypo? 

• Posted

Yes, I've been hypo for a couple of years. I also have hashimotos disease. When I was first diagnosed I was put on synthryoid. Everything was fine until July of this year that's when they started going crazy.

• Posted

That's similar to my situation. Hypo to hyper but not due to hashi. It's not easy getting levels right. Takes time and a lot of testing / trial and error. I don't know much about hashi's but imagine that's why you're feeling so bad. Now I see why you're taking replacement therapy. 

You probably know this but I pulled it off the net to share, just in case:

"It often begins with symptoms of an overactive thyroid, which last 2 to 4 months. Mild symptoms might be overlooked. Most women then develop symptoms of an underactive thyroid, which can last up to a year."

If you google:  The 5 Stages of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Dr. Izabella Wentz   - there is some useful info. 

• Posted

At the onset, I had a few incidents of almost passing out, where someone had to grab me.  My worst part now is showering or taking a bath that might be too hot. I feel like I need to almost crawl out of the tub and always crouch over too. I also walk with hands out. Hope you feel better soon. 
    • Posted

Thanks. I'll look in to that article. Did they finally get your levels back to where they needed to be?

• Posted

No latoya. My T's are normal but my TSH is still low.  I'm on Methimazole 2.5mg and now my blood pressure is up. I just don't get it. My BP was normal during my physical mid October. Saw Endo a week after that and he had me go back on meds, and now BP is up. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.