Day 49 and Counting

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm a 57 yr. Old female who had never broken any body part in her life. I was attempting to get into my sisters truck as I've done a thousand times. One minute I was up, the next minute I was laying on the ground in excruciating pain. I heard the crack as I was going down. Arrived at the hospital was given a CAT scan because I had hit my head twice and an ankle x-ray. Emergency room orthopedic doc came in said I had broker my ankle in two places and I'd be down six to eight weeks. Was almost hysterical until they have me something morphine in my drip. Fronds see my foot-, it was all laying on the right. Pressure was 134/108. Had to wait for me to calm down to put the splint on. Had to set my foot using his hands as I refused the needle. Stayed in the hospital two days-was sent home. I was scared to death. Thanks God my children are grown and we live together. Scared to do anything. Splint came off in two weeks on 2/5, had surgery on 2/13, went into boot, keep it on 24/7, went to post-op on 2/26, doc said healing nicely but still keep boot on still non-weight bearing. Praying that on 3/26 I can start putting some weight on foot. I wanna go back to work but I really just want to stand and walk!!!??

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too have found my life turned upside down, as most of us have, so I know what you are going through. I'm only 42 but have always been up and about. I retired several years ago from my job, restaurant management, but still maintain my house and yard as my husband works away from home. I also take care of 3 of my grandchildren 5-6 days a week, a 2 year old and 2 infants. I opened my door on 2/8 to let my dogs outside and and the next thing I heard a loud crack, felt severe pain and was on my rear end. My dogs just stood there staring at me. I was almost certain I had broken it and a trip to the ER confirmed it. A break of my medial malleolus, posterior malleolus, fibula and widening of the syndesmosis. Yep...I had to have surgery. A small blessing is that my daughter and her husband are transitioning to a new town and decided not to renew their lease, but instead move in with me while they shopped for their new home in another city. It's been a Godsend that she is here to help take care of me. Her daughter is one of the babies I usually care for while they work, but her boss has given her time off to stay home with me and my other daughter is paying her to watch her babies (the other infant and 2 year old). I think the worst part of it is sitting her feeling useless, wanting to get up and do the things I know need to be done. I'm an avid gardener and as Spring is starting to peek out here in Texas, I am stuck inside on the couch unable to do anything. I had surgery on 2/15 and everything is looking good. Doc wants to do another surgery in a few weeks to remove the screw and pins and I'm hoping that everything has healed well and I can start bearing some weight on it. Keep your head up!! We are all here to go through this with you. I'm impressed that you were able to keep your boot on 24/7 after surgery. I usually can only take a few hours of that monstrosity before I have to take it off and give my incisions a rest. The pain is terrible for me when I have it on and propped up.

• Posted

yes it sucks,,, having to keep the boot on 24/7,,,  im hoping for the best,,,, good luck on your surgery,,,
  • Posted

I am at day 89 and back to work full time. Just started full weight bearing in shoes 2 weeks ago and back to work one week ago. Was doing great but it gets hard back at work. When you are full eight bearing in shoes there will be swelling, may last for weeks or months, my dr says. It makes it uncomfortable to downright painful by the end of my shift. Be prepared for that, he didn’t tell me until I called concerned. Keep it up as much as possible, keep going to PT and ice it every night after work. It’s a long process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.