Day 7 on citalopram and sleeping badly

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've suffered with anxiety and slight depression over the years and have been on Cit before but stupidly tapered off at the end of last year as I 'felt better'....have realised I wasn't feeling good recently so I'm now on day 7 of Cit again. I know from experience that for the first few weeks it messes up my sleep pattern - exhausted and yawning all day, feel sick and not hungry, by the evening I feel ok and have more energy and then sleep as soon as I go to bed. BUT then I wake at 4-5am with major anxiety and that's when my mind takes over. I know it will get better and it's just side effects but it's horrible and it would be great to hear from anyone experiencing the same? Maybe talking on here to each other will help us realise we aren't alone? Thanks and have a good day!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I woke up constantly with anxiety the first two weeks of it. Now I'm on 10s and I feel ok as far as waking up, but if I go to 20s, I'm up and panicking the entire night.
    • Posted

Yep been there, isn't it awful and frustrating!  Then there's the feeling knackered and spaced out the next day, just waiting to go to bed and have the whole cycle start off again!  I am hoping that as I'm only on 10s I will start to get over the initial side effects over the next week - and your message makes me hopeful!  Hope you have a good day! 
  • Posted

so for the first time in ages i had a slightly better day yesterday,in the evening i almost felt normal,had no shakes/panic/tremors,went to bed and slept so good compared to recently,i slept from 8 til 5am,didnt wake up panicky so felt chilled out compared to how i usually feel when i wake,my problem is that 10mins sfter getting up the panic started but only cos my left hand started doing its ususl crazy numb/tingly stuff ,this is what i cant get my head round-if i had a better evening/night and feel calmer why is one of my worrying symptoms so intense this morning? after no panic/worry please help x
    • Posted

Morning, sorry to hear you're feeling crappy this morning - I can only presume it's just side effects from your meds making your feel like that, and it will happen until they bed down in your system.  I was completely exhausted last night and was dozing off at 9pm but held out for bed until 11pm but woke at 4:30am and have been panicky and shaky since! It's definitely just side effects that take their time to go away - I'm positive once they settle we will both feel much better.  Work is going to be difficult today with so little sleep but nothing I can do but just get on with it.  Mornings are always the worst with anxiety but I am sure you will relax more as the day goes on.  Speak later and take care x
    • Posted

hi nacho,yeah sure thats what it is lol,dont know how you manage to go to work!hope you hav a good day anyway and sleep better tonight,speak soon x
    • Posted

Sometimes I am just better off getting out of bed and forcing myself to get on with it - feel shaky but not as foggy today so hopefully things are on the up!  Hope you have a good day too! x
    • Posted

I should say my name is Alison actually - I forgot when I logged in that it would only show my username!!  Nacho is my best friends sausage dog :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.