Day 7 Update TLHR 20/2/17

Posted , 15 users are following.

Day 7 Update!

Hello fellow hippies smile thought I would update how things are going since my operation last Monday afternoon.

I was anxious to leave the hospital and come home two days post op but looking back I think maybe another day would have been a good idea as I struggled with pain management at home and the nights were rough (Oh for the hospital bed!!) however it has got so much better and I am grateful for the small improvements.

Last night was a better night and I slept in 3 hour bursts which was a huge improvement. Still using paracetemol and ibuprofen spread through the day and it takes the edge off.

Walking around on one crutch now apart from the middle of the night bathroom trips and have mastered the stairs, dressing, showering. Still hurts to sit on scar and uncomfortable sitting generally but hoping that will get better soon. Very little swelling apart from around the hip itself and no bruising which has amazed me. Changed dressing yesterday and all looks very neat and clean with invisible stitches covered with steri-strips.

One of the worst things was the post op constipation!! Wish I'd taken the lactulose earlier - started once home - as it took a good few days to sort out and was so uncomfortable!

Slowly getting my head around lack of independence - not sure I was quite prepared for how reliant I would be in OH for everything! Hard to get used to and have had a few tears but feeling so much better mentally yesterday and today.

Hoping all my fellow Feb hippies are doing well and on the road to recovery. It's quite a marathon but I am so relieved to be on this side of it and the hideous pain in my hip, knee and groin are gone. I don't think I believed my surgeon when he said the knee pain would go but it has smile

One annoying thing - I am numb down the right thigh. Apparently due to bruised nerve from the clamps they use to get you in position when they operate. It's not sore but feels very strange and apparently may stay this way for a few weeks/months. Anyone else had this?

Will check in again soon but wanted to thank everyone for the support and information - it has made a huge difference to my journey!

Sam

TLHR 20/2/17 posterior, 51

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well done Sam, good to hear how you're doing. You should feel better as the days go on. Good you're on 1 crutch now, makes things so much easier. (Glass of wine in one hand, crutch in the other...)

You might still get some swelling, but if you do, then stick your leg up on something, and put a cold pack/ ice on, and it usually improves.

Onwards and upwards!

• Posted

Samantha,

So good to hear you are on the mend - take your time, it's a long journey with many up's and down's.

Bruised nerve sounds quite likely, they have to do all sorts of things in the operation, it sounds more like a car mechanic's workshop than a hospital if you're awake for the operation(s) as I was !

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

Left THR 29 Oct 2015.biggrin    Revision 07 Jan 2016 mad

• Posted

Hi Sam

So pleased to hear how well you are doing but take it slowly. You will ha e good days and bad. Frustration and tears but improving too. Nap when you can and take any help on offer!

Keep up with the exercises!

Julie x

• Posted

Great news Samantha 🎉

The process is different for each of us and it is wonderful to have all of the posting suggestions for our consideration!

Keep the daily progress moving forward!

• Posted

Well done Sam, you will win through.We are all different.No racing about.Rest each day.Your not going to do yourself any favours if you race around too soon.regards Amanda
  • Posted

Good to hear that you’re doing well Sam. I was a few days before you (15/2) and touch wood I am cautiously pleased with progress.  I'm still in my original dressing though, and not due to have it removed until the end of this week - ie 2 weeks after hospital discharge. I'm similarly getting around on one stick most of the time, although take 2 sticks when I go outside, and am planning to catch the bus tomorrow into town to do a bit of shopping.....I can only spend so much time indoors!  I have just about got the knack now of sleeping on my back, but usually end up waking up once or twice in the night…and would so love to be able to roll onto my side, but am surrounding myself with pillows to stop me being tempted!  I guess your numbness will go in time. I have had a number of nerve damage episodes over the years from excessive cycling, and they have always recovered eventually. Nick

• Posted

Hi Nick, glad you are doing well. I loved getting out and about on the bus with my crutches! People were very considerate, and I just felt part of the real world again.Good luck!
    • Posted

Would be wary of going on the bus until you're out of hip precautions at 6 weeks because of the height of the seats and amount of leg room, you could be forced to bend your new joint more than the 90%. Also stepping into the bus could be difficult unless they have a low floor.

Be careful.

• Posted

Maybe depends on the bus, and obviously how fit you are feeling. I was fine at 2 and a half weeks on London buses, not upstairs obviously! A week later I tried out the underground, just stuck my leg out in front if the seats were a bit low. I was very careful not to break the 90 degree rule. Also, escalators on crutches, fine, but maybe not at busy times!
    • Posted

The bus was fine thanks all...even though the driver perhaps fancied himself as David Coulthard in the Avivia taxi advert....but I didn't sit down ...just stood all the way and hung on to the multitude of rails and grips. It was good to get out and about, so I hope to repeat again soon....and may stop off at the station and see if a train takes my fancy!

• Posted

Getting out and about is wonderful, gives you a real sense of achievement, but do take care.   Escalators are tricky at first, I recommend you plant your operated foot just in front of the moving stair, and step on with your 'good' leg.  Do the same getting off too.

Best wishes for a great recovery

Graham

• Posted

Well done Sam. Everything sounds a bit normal! It's amazing after all the preparation, just how "normal" it begins to feel very quickly, isn't it? I have totally forgotten the pain I had before, and in fact it feels like the hip is just like it used to be. As you recover everything will fade into history, and it will seem a bit like a distant dream. 

And enjoy the attention- it will never last!

• Posted

I am one week post op. Partial weight bearing restriction. At least It seems my misery is shared: can't sit but a few minutes at a time, back ache from back sleeping, etc. I've had two knee replacements and so far they were less painful and I could hang out on the couch! But the PT was very trying from day three. So I'm not used to just hanging out and taking it easy these first few weeks. My poor husband is putting up with more "Honey, please..." This time round also. I just feel like such a whiner. I'm glad to have found the Hippie Group here. I found great info and support from the knee group, so I look forward to your wisdom here too. 

• Posted

Hi Melinda, I'm now 7 weeks post op and believe me each day gets a little better. I live on my own but had several good friends helping with shopping etc.

Just make sure you do your exercises religiously and follow the instructions you've been given, especially the hip precautions.

I was told not to sit for too long and keep moving.

I found I was very tired and would do my bed exercises in the morning, get up and have breakfast then fall asleep. Then the same in the afternoon, exercises and then fall asleep for a couple of hours.

Now I'm pain free, driving my car and walking for about 45 min each day.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi. It really is early days and it is a case of slow and steady wins the race. Some days feel so hard and others ok. Presume you have exercises to do. My back ached from sleeping on it . Just take one day at a time and you will begin to feel stronger.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.