Day 7 Update TLHR 20/2/17

Posted , 15 users are following.

Day 7 Update!

Hello fellow hippies smile thought I would update how things are going since my operation last Monday afternoon.

I was anxious to leave the hospital and come home two days post op but looking back I think maybe another day would have been a good idea as I struggled with pain management at home and the nights were rough (Oh for the hospital bed!!) however it has got so much better and I am grateful for the small improvements.

Last night was a better night and I slept in 3 hour bursts which was a huge improvement. Still using paracetemol and ibuprofen spread through the day and it takes the edge off.

Walking around on one crutch now apart from the middle of the night bathroom trips and have mastered the stairs, dressing, showering. Still hurts to sit on scar and uncomfortable sitting generally but hoping that will get better soon. Very little swelling apart from around the hip itself and no bruising which has amazed me. Changed dressing yesterday and all looks very neat and clean with invisible stitches covered with steri-strips.

One of the worst things was the post op constipation!! Wish I'd taken the lactulose earlier - started once home - as it took a good few days to sort out and was so uncomfortable!

Slowly getting my head around lack of independence - not sure I was quite prepared for how reliant I would be in OH for everything! Hard to get used to and have had a few tears but feeling so much better mentally yesterday and today.

Hoping all my fellow Feb hippies are doing well and on the road to recovery. It's quite a marathon but I am so relieved to be on this side of it and the hideous pain in my hip, knee and groin are gone. I don't think I believed my surgeon when he said the knee pain would go but it has smile

One annoying thing - I am numb down the right thigh. Apparently due to bruised nerve from the clamps they use to get you in position when they operate. It's not sore but feels very strange and apparently may stay this way for a few weeks/months. Anyone else had this?

Will check in again soon but wanted to thank everyone for the support and information - it has made a huge difference to my journey!

Sam

TLHR 20/2/17 posterior, 51

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for the encouragement. I forgot how tired I am all the time. One day at a time...
    • Posted

I hated the nights, uncomfortable and hard to sleep. You will soon start to improve.Make sure you take all your pain meds, do your exercises when you can. Take it steadily, wishing you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.