Day 8 of Effexor. Anxiety is through the roof!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys, I’m new here but could use some reassurance. 

I was on Prozac for a month and a half and had to get off of it. I was making me more depressed and suicidal. My doctor started me on Effexor. I was nervous to start it with all the horrible things i read about getting off of it. But i was in pain. I needed something. So I started it. It crazy, my depression went away right away. After day 3 i was almost feeling good. But for the last few days my anxiety has been AWFUL. I feel so on edge, I can’t fall asleep, I feel like my body is shaking all the time. 

I’m just hoping this gets better because I feel like I’m going crazy...

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello , I am one to talk, as i posted yesterday desperate for info on how quickly I can expect to see improvements, after being on venlafaxine higher dose, for 9 days. You are probably looking at a min of 2 to 4 weeks for noticeable and sustained improvements. You are likely to feel very up and down for the first 4 weeks. Anxiety is an unfortunate side effect, that should eventuslly go away. I currently take diazepam for the anxiety, and it's a great help, stops it almost immediately. Your anxiety may fall over the coming weeks. If you find the anxiety increases and becomes unbearable, speak to your doctor about having some xanax or diazepam for anxiety, until venlafaxine is up to strength in your body, and it's doing it's job. Anxiety after starting a new anti depressant is a common issue. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi I was on Mirtazipine for 10 years until I was moved to venlafaxine in January for anxiety. It just wasn't the right Anti-D for me as it did make my anxiety a lot worse and not better. From all that I read this seemed to be the case, it makes you either a lot better or it can go the other way. I gave it 5 months before coming off if it.I am now not taking any Anti-D for the first time since I was 13 ...I'm 35 now!! I'm going to try a period without to see how I get on. I  still struggle to leave the house etc but going to trail it for a while. If I don't cope without anything my next port of call is CBD... I have done a lot of research on CBD (which is worth looking at if you can afford it as you can't currently get it on prescription). I would stick at it a while longer to see if the increased anxiety tappers off, if not defiantly re-discuss it with your Dr. 

• Posted

Hi, just read your comment on cbd....I too thought about it, but have decided against it. My husband is an m.d./hospital administrator and had a lot of background research info about this thru colleagues and holistic providers. There's a lot we don't know about where and how it is made. Many "organic" oils have been tested and have been found to have insecticides and formaldehyde in it. Also, if you buy the same brand, that brand may purchase from independent growers that have no credentials, no regulations. It's very hard to watchdog. I'm not against it though. I think for seizures in children, chronic pain, etc, there have been proven results. And I believe that there are more natural ways to boost serotonin in our brains. After about a week of vitamins, and a high protein diet (tryptophan converts to serotonin), I'm actually feeling much better, especially in the morning. I'm back to vigorous exercise, too, which boosts serotonin levels.

I hope whatever you choose to do you'll be feeling better soon!!

• Posted

How you getting on.ive came off mitrazapine after a year and I can't sleep at all xx

• Posted

hi.. i am a friend of NIGEL45109,,  HE SEEMS TO BE A GOOD PERSON TO LISTEN TOO.. I AM ON 8DAYS OF VENLAFAXINE 75MG AND STARTING TO FEEL BETTER... ANXIETY COMES AND GOES.. I NEED TO TAKE A XANAX FOR THE ANXIETY...  nigel will give you great advice...  
  • Posted

Hi... I'm also on venlafaxine and have been for about 6 months, they recently upped my done to 225mg because it wasn't helping my Anxiety and I must say it's helied... I still get anxiety when going places but I'm more in control of it. When I first started venlafaxine it did send my Anxiety through the roof. It lasted about 4 weeks but like nigel I had diazapam to help me through that period and that was a massive help, maybe go talk to your doctor because ive been where you are and it's not a nice feeling being on edge all the time. Stick with it though as if it's already helped your depression chances are it will help your anxiety also. Leanne

• Posted

Hi there. It's okay that you felt good almost immediately on this medication but don't forget that you're not taking the Prozac anymore. ... Which is more likely the reason you felt better. It does take a while for medications to leave your system. However Effexor is a very good medication. I've been on it for years and recently went back to it after a short stint with Lexapro. Lexapro left me absolutely 1000% more anxious even after 10 weeks. Effexor works differently than the other and anti depressants. You can research it easily on Google bye searching SSRI vs SSNI. Some antidepressants may cause some start-up anxiety but please be patient because that will eventually go away. Try to stay busy, try to be active, exercise a lot if you can, because exercise really does help boost serotonin levels in the brain. And the obvious things are to cut out caffeine and sugar. I recently have been doing a lot of research on how to boost serotonin levels for the brain and there's some good findings out there that have a lot to do with diet. I'm not one of those crazies that think everything can be cured naturally but I do think there's a lot of good information out there that can help.

Listen, I have been where you are and so many of us have been. YOU ARE NOT GOING CRAZY!!! I know that I'm in menopause right now and when are hormones drop, it has a major effect on our brain. And anxiety is sometimes the result. I just had blood work done and found out that my hormones are very low but that I am getting too much synthroid in my body from my underactive thyroid. So they dropped my dosage amount of Synthroid.... And that is also a major factor and anxiety. So besides taking medication, you should see your PCP and get a panel of blood work done. Always be in communication with your doctor.

The other thing that helps me tremendously is my faith. I'm Catholic so I Rely heavily on giving my worries and problems to God. It helps me to know that he's going to take care of me no matter what and I just really tried to go about my day finding joy in the little things. It takes practice though and a lot of prayer. I also see a therapist and she really puts things into perspective for me. This is something you should try if you haven't already.

So hang in there God bless you and wait for the medicine to work. It's going to take about 3 to 6 weeks and you've come this far already having been on Prozac and it didn't destroy you!!! I look back at my time on Lexapro and can't believe I made it through that which was pure hell! Believe me. Also your doctor can prescribe you lorazepam (Ativan) to help you get over the right spots. There's no shame in using it until the Effexor kicks in.

Good luck and God bless you.... Your going to make it!

• Posted

Your post has been so helpful I have felt like I'm going crazy n was doo worried having not slept properly in 3 weeks xx

• Posted

Hi Tammy

Not sure if you still use this forum but if you do or anyone else reading this post can help please please reply.

I’m 53 and post menopause, I’ve suffered anxiety and depression most of my life but managed it by work and keeping busy.

Last year I had a breakdown! Anxiety and then depression, struggle to leave the house and tbh having a horrible time.

Tried cit and Sertraline and Mirtazapine, had a couple of seizures on cit and Sertraline so dr stopped then , I’m now on no AD and taking Diazipam morning and night.

I researched menopause and mental health and it seemed to fit with me so I had a Mirena coil and started on Estrogel last week, had meltdown a week ago and have been advised to try venoflaxine starting at 75mg them going up after 2 weeks, I’m reluctant to try it and just wait to see if the HRT works but I’m so desperate to feel better I’m tempted to try the ven.

Any advice, success stories on it or staying with the HRT route would be greatly appreciated please.

Thank you 

• Posted

Matt I really feel for you the combination of diazepam twice a day and my venlafaxine been upped too 75mg twice a day is working so far me I just hope n pray it continues a massive difference too last week and as you know I was in a bad way last week I wasn't sleeping so I take a half of a sleeping tablet. Keep in touch I'm thinking of you xxx

• Posted

Karen I have been on venlafaxine 8 days now 4 on 37.5 and 4 on 75 how long for the anxiety to lessen.
    • Posted

Hi Karen 

I’ve decided to leave the venalflaxine for now and see how the HRT goes , I react really badly to antidepressants so for now I’m gonna push on with the HRT and natural supplements, will see how it goes but if I can lift this depression and anxiety myself I’d be a happy bunny 🐰 

I’m still taking Diazipam morning and night and more in the day if I’m in a bad way , hopefully if the HRT starts to work I can think about reducing the Diazipam but for now I need it.

So pleased your starting to feel better it’s great news 😁

• Posted

I feel as if my diazapam stopped the anxiety it went straight away terrified it comes back in currently reducing the diazepam down too 2 from 3 a day xxx could be a mixture of the venlafaxine too I've been ok for 6 days now fingers crossed xx

• Posted

Thanks for your help everyone! I really appreciate it. I’m going to stick with Effexor for now. It has helped my depression so much already. My doctor prescribed me a small dose of Xanax for when my anxiety gets really bad. Hopefully that will be enough to help. 

I started therapy about a month ago and honestly I hate it...I feel like I’m not connecting with my therapist. It’s tough, I never EVER talk to anyone about how i feel. And now talking to a stranger...it’s just really uncomfortable for me. But I won’t give up on it...

• Posted

I'm the same as you I never talk too anyone either about me suffering with depression you just feel like other people have their own problems. I too take venlafaxine n feel better xx

• Posted

Sorry that's me just seen you messaged me I've been on it 2 weeks now can't sleep at all tho xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.