Day 9 increasing citalopram crying all the time 😪

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all on day 9 of increasimg citalooram 30mg to 40mg and today all I've done is cry I feel soo sick aswell is this normal? please help

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,when you increase, decrease,swap any antidepressant medication you upset the balance again in your brain. These medications are all about getting your brain and system adjusted to all the changes theses medications make,which takes a very long time usually,months for lots of people. So it's like having to start the whole process all over again,waiting for things to settle again. The increase will pretty much cause all the same upset and side effects you had when you went on 10 or 20 or 30mg,but maybe not as intense. The sickness will come from the increase in Serotonin in your stomach again and the crying comes from the increase in emotions again caused by the increase. You just have to wait until everything settles again. That's why whenever you increase etc it should be carefully thought through and know that you are going to face upset for a time again. Hopefully everything will improve soon.

• Posted

thank you ian. im onto my 3rd week now just started and still got abit of anxiety and low mood. kinda feel spaced out and little dizzy and brain sometimes feels like its virbrating for a second or two. is all this normal please?

• Posted

Spaced out and dizzy are normal side effects when increasing. Never heard of the sensation of brain vibrations,but that is probably sensitivity of the nerves and tension in the muscles of the neck and head and nothing to be concerned over. Everything will settle down in due course.

• Posted

hopefully ian. still not really got my appetitte back yet eat once a day which is hard 😔

• Posted

Can going from one zoloft and then to celexa that next day feel like it will start the process all over again? or will it just work faster since its both SSRI's

• Posted

Hi, although they are both SSRI'S and both work to increase Serotonin,they work in different ways being different drugs. Because of that it can feel like starting from day one,and you can have a completely different experience on Citalopram compared to Sertraline. It's impossible to say what your experience will be,but your brain and system will still have to get used to having a different drug, so I would treat it like starting anew and expect to have different side effects etc. My own experience of Citalopram compared to Sertraline is that Citalopram is more sedating and makes me more sleepy,but everyone is different.

• Posted

Thank you for responding Ian. I am on Citalopram for 2 weeks tomorrow 20mg but im still having intrusive thoughts. They are not as bad as they were as before, they were all day everyday as to where now, they are speratic. will the intrusive thoights go away? they are scary and i know depression can cause people to do irrational things and im scared i'll be on of them people. im a worrier as well. i feel its also ocd though ive never been diagnosed with it.

• Posted

Hi, prolonged stress, anxiety and worry will bring intrusive thoughts. The Citalopram will work straight away and you had a head start from already being on Sertraline. Citalopram has antihistamine qualities and antihistamines calm the mind,and Sertraline can be too activating on anxiety,so that's maybe why you've had some lessening of bad thoughts. I have intrusive thoughts after a very long period of sustained stress,but I don't have OCD either. The stress causes Serotonin levels to deplete,the longer you take the Citalopram and the initial heightened anxiety calms down,the better you will feel and calmer and the depression will lift. Two weeks is right at the beginning of getting better,so whatever happens work through it,head down and tackle one day at a time. Try to accept the horrible anxiety and side effects as part of the healing process, and look forward several months ahead when everything settles and you start to feel improvement. Stick with the 20mg and don't increase for a long time,until you've given it a chance. People typically improve after 3-4 months or even more sometimes. Takes me 11-12 weeks for things to settle down and adjust to the changes and to see real improvement. Try to work on your worrying,as this is what causes the stress and anxiety and depression by practicing mindfulness,CBT and exercise,diet etc Take care.

• Posted

I feel the same way Cheryl. Im almost at 4 weeks and I cant even drive I feel so spaced out and go off in a day dream easily. Hoping this passes soon for us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.