Days after anxiety/panick attack -DIAZEPAM opinions

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a bad anxiety attack (panick attack according to psycohologist today)

It's the fifth day and the attack is still lingering in my body

My GP couldn't help so sent me to the Phsycologist who also didn't help ! Just wanted to know why I'm having the attack and explained anxiety like duh I know all this

I know a nurse who gave me diazepam to take but I'm scared - has anyone had this ? Will it make this episode of anxiety leave ? Or will it just make me feel okay until it wears off ?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Diazapam (generic Valium) is a benzo. When taken on a regular basis can be highly addictive and can build up tolerance quickly. It's not meant really for long term use. It can be effective for relieving symptoms of anxiety occasionally. But please use it with the best of awareness.

I just got off another benzo, called Ativan. My doctor prescribed it twice daily. He didn't inform me about the med. After a few weeks I built up tolerance and was having interdose withdrawal which created even worse anxiety symptoms. This all led to a 17 week taper since when you take them on a daily basis it can be dangerous and he'll is to stop them cold turkey.

Please don't think I am trying to keep you from taking it. It can be useful on occasion. I am just trying to let you know what may happen if you overuse it.

• Posted

Hi Riri,

I have suffered chronic anxiety for six years and been prescribed Diazepam 5mg up to 3x a day as required for pharygeal spasm (over tightening of the throat muscles) I also have panic attacks for about 5 years.

In my opinion Diazepam is the fastest working (about 20-30mins) and most efficient medicine for my symptoms.

Doc told me the trick is to not allow your body to get used to them i.e. take only when required as the long term effects can include addiction and/or body getting used to them so they dont work any more.

Personally over the last five years of taking them on and off I cant speak highly enough of Diazepam, it definately relaxes my symptoms and me very quickly.

If you are suffering with anxiety Diazepam will / should help relax you and has a half life (stays in your system) of 2-5 days so depending on the severity of your anxiety you may need more until anxiety calms down but it is only a short term fix because of its addictive properties.

You may want to try CBT or Therapy via youf doctors referral to get to the root cause of your anxiety and help you to manage it better.

Best Wishes for a speedy full recovery smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.