Dealing with Anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ive come to the conclusion that this is something i may have to live with but what i want to know is how people deal with their symptoms? Ive come off citalopram a month ago but i still dont feel 100%...recently ive started feeling a tightness round my throat which hightens things and then i think i cant breath and start to panic. Does anyone have any ideas in how to get past this when it happens.? It only seems too happen in the evenings for some reason. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Anxiety takes time to deal with I'm learning the hard way. You have to learn to trust your body I know it's easier said then done
    • Posted

Hi Jen....thanks for replying. Its hard isnt dealing with this. I really dont want to go back on any meds and would love to beat this naturally. Im starting to slowly gwining some control over things and i find it helpful being able to chat to people who are going through the same experiences as me x
    • Posted

It takes time and it's not going to happen over night. What helps me is to keep my mind focused. Always busy on something and not let my mind wonder on the physical symptoms that anxiety is going to make me feel. I know it's anxiety but I can't look past it. I find that my job gives me anxiety and stress so I'm looking for another job. You have to find the source and work from it. I don't take meds because I don't want to become dependant on them. It's hard without meds but I believe in the long run its worth it. I hope you find peace and a way to deal with it naturally
    • Posted

I just started taking Meds I'm kinda nervous because I prefer the natural route but that's what I have to do in the meantime, I guess we all have to find what works best for us
    • Posted

Hiya....thanks for replying. Ive been under alot of stress in the last year and i suppose its just my bodies way of coping with things. If i can just get out of the mindset that any little ache or pain i get is something bad then i will have turned a corner. At the moment this feeling of tghtness round my throat is whats setting me off. I find keeping busy helps a bit but in the evenings it gets worse. Was gonna try rescue remedies see if that helps!
    • Posted

Sometimes the symptoms we are having have a very reasonable explanation and aren't serious. Our mind is juts programmed to think danger and we'll we think it's more serious than it really is. I feel you on that. Today has not been easy as well. Alot of chest pressure with headaches. But it's getting better as the day goes by. I find that it helps to go for a walk or hang with friends to unstress myself. It's day by day
    • Posted

Its just so strange how our bodies react and make us feel...but i know i will get myself through this. Its been a tough few months x
    • Posted

Ive tried meds Jen and they wernt for me. I duppose everyone reacts to them differently. Only thing is it takes weeks before they start too kick in so you may not feel a difference straight away. I wish you all the best in your journey x
  • Posted

Hi there, I've only started getting these attacks in the last month so I'm extremely new to this. It started one day I woke up with a tight chest and feared the worse. Kinda getting to grips with it however the minute I think I'm in control a small headache or pain in my body will set it off sad, only 10 minutes ago I felt a small pinch in my head and now I'm convinced a blood vessel has ruptured (which I know probably hasn't) but the more I think about it the more symptoms appear.. Glad I'm not alone but still scares the crap outta me!
    • Posted

Hiya...it is very scary especially if it happens when ur on your own. Mine happened 6 months ago just after id finished eating a curry. Just out of the blue...Since then its been with me. The tablets i was put on made me feel like a zombie. I wasnt myself and i hated the side effects but i stayed on them as i was told they would help. Id rather try and control it myself now and if that takes time then so be it. You are definatley not alone in all this. N i hope you start to feel better soon x
  • Posted

Learn mindfullness breathing. On utube can tech you. Its will give you a mini vacation away from all this. A few minutes but it is needed at times. I think you will realize you have to be your own best friend thru all this. It can be a lonely disorder. It does wax and wane so when you feel good be very grateful and go have fun. We all have to oray someone out there figure this out and fixes it. In the meantime learn all you can learn about it and self calming techniques. Find a hobby or anything you like to do..puzzles, music,  sports, painting, any outlet so you can focus on something else besides all this. On a funny note my dog is very well groomed haha because i think it relaxes me. Not sure if he enjoys it but he is used to it.
  • Posted

As time goes, you find things that help you manage when episodes hit. I would see a counselor to help you find things that can help. I'd say that I have been actively dealing with anxiety and depression for 4-5 years now and I have my ups and downs but acknowledging it as a part of my life I feel has been the most important part of all of it.
    • Posted

Hiya...very true...think thats what i have to do..just accept it and try to control it. I bought one of those adult colouring books which i find relaxing but theres only so much of that i can do before i get bored. X
    • Posted

Yeah, that's why I have multiple things to help cope. I primarily use CBT but I have supplement it. I usually go hiking, rock climbing, going for walks through parks or along the waterfront, play sudoku, etc. One thing I've learned is don't try control it, work with it. Maybe it's just personal preference but it's a lot more tiring to fight it when it started to overwhelm.
  • Posted

Hi Clare,

Just discovered this forum, really helpful to know I'm not on my own in this! Forgive the massive post, but wish I'd had this to read when it started happening to me, hope it's at least a bit useful.

I've been dealing with anxiety on and off for over 2 years, ever since my dad had a triple bypass operation. My chest started hurting the day I found out. Several trips to the hospital and many tests later I was assured my heart was in perfect working order. It got better for about 2 days then just came right on back. I used to be terrible on public transport and planes (I work in London and the number of times I've had to get off the tube half way through a journey is ridiculous to someone who doesn't understand). Anyway, long story short it's been a bumpy ride and I don't do medication because I want to beat it on my own.

My top tips:

Breath properly, deep, slow, calm.

Check out some meditation stuff on YouTube (sounds silly, I thought so to, But it works for me).

Go and get the physical worry checked at the docs. Whatever it is, go and have them tell you you're medically ok. I've had several 'issues' chest, head, neck pain, every time they've improved or disappeared when I've been told by a doctor that physically I'm fine.

Don't wallow in it, sitting in the house or lying in bed only makes it worse, and it gets worse the more you do it (in my experience).

The best one though, and the one I learnt most recently - smile. Just smile at it, take a deep breath, and smile again. Seems to help me a lot!

I've just come back from my stag do, and as I'm sure many will know, drinking alcohol can make this so much worse. I was lying in bed feeling awful on Monday morning. Thinking there was something seriously wrong with me, in real trouble and by myself. I told myself no, forced a smile, got up and showered and then got out and about. By the time I got home late afternoon I felt a million times better.

It's really hard dealing with anxiety, and it's really hard to tell people about it. My fiancée is the only person in the world who knows, and I keep a lot of it back from her. I know that sounds stupid, and it probably is, but I often feel it's my cross to bear. It does massively help though to have someone you can talk to about this stuff, especially on those days when you just don't want to do anything because of it.

Anyway, hope some of that helps. I guess you have to find your own tricks so to speak.

KR

Rhys

• Posted

Really good post and i totally relate to the Tube in London. I had to do this a few times last week on the Jubilee Line - had to literally get off as I thought I was going to kick off an panic attack.
    • Posted

Hi there. Thanks for all your tips! Im not too bad on the tube and in crowded areas but i did have a panic attack on a flight to England and that was the worst feeling as there was nothing i could do but sit there and let it pass. Its very scary. I hate flying so i think that was what triggered it. I do feel more relaxed now finding this page and being abke to talk to people who know what im going through.

Many thanks for replying 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.