Dealing with pain and depression after total knee replacement

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hi everyone!

i was so happy to find this discussion group! I am 3 weeks post op after a total knee replacement on my right knee. The depression has finally hit me. Never feeling pain free, not sleeping well at night, being dependent on someone else to get me to PT or grocery shop has really gotten me down. I'm not one to cry, but today the tears came pretty easy. I too have the burning that everyone here talks about. My physical therapist said that's the nerves that are healing. After doing my exercises I find it easier to walk with less of a limp, however it doesn't take long and my knee stiffens right up again. The hospital sent me home with this great ice machine so I'm not having to use ice packs like others have talked about. I just put 4 bottles of frozen water in this machine and then fill it with water up to the water line. Put the top back on and plug it in. It has tubing that runs from the machine to the pad that you strap to your leg with attached Velcro. The pad is shaped to form to your thigh right above the knee and the start of the calf right below the knee. This machine has been a blessing! Once the bottles thaw out, I exchange them with 4 frozen bottles from the freezer so I'm never without ice. The machine circulates that cold water constantly so you have and even amount going to your whole surgical area. Icing is great but sometimes I feel stiffer than if I don't use it at all. I'm taking Percocet for the pain and it helps to some degree but doesn't take all the pain away. I can't take codine, Vicodin or morphine because they make me so sick. But I'm wondering how all of you are dealing with the depression that comes along with all the pain? I'm a very independent person and not having any family that live close by makes me rely on one other person to run errands or take me to PT. I'm so tired of always sitting with my legs up or sleeping with a pillow between my knees so I can lay on my side at night. The lack of sleeping for more than an hour at night before the pain wakes me up and I get myself in another position to sleep is wearing on me. Can someone more than 3 weeks out of post op show me that there is light at the end of the tunnel?? So many people that I've talked to that had this done years ago say it's the best thing they've ever done. I'm certainly not feeling that way right now. If you asked me today if I'd do this again my answer would be absolutely not!!! But I'm sure weeks from now I'll feel totally different. Someone please tell me that I won't always regret doing this. I knew it was going to be a tough recovery, but I didn't realize that 3 weeks after surgery I'd still be feeling like this. I know I'm improving because I see the changes when I'm doing my exercises at home. Something that was so difficult a week and a half ago is much easier to do now. I guess I just want someone who's surgery is maybe 6 weeks out to say "it does get better, this is how it is fir me now". Something, anything positive. I'm happy I found this site and I pray I get a response to my posting. Good luck to all of you! I know we'll all make it through this tough process.

Sue (from Wisconsin)

1 like, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'' ten weeks out of my bilateral TKR. I did get really frustrated and depressed at about three-four weeks. I hated being dependent on family for so many things. I cried a good bit. Once I was able to drive again, at six weeks, I got a lot better. And when I felt able to get out of the house, even for a little while, that helped, too. I slept in my recliner for almost two months because sleeping in bed was just too painful. I'm finally able to sleep in bed again and can sleep for several hours at a stretch. That helps, too. It's just hard, but it gets easier. I'm back at work for about six hours a day, which is exhausting, but which has really improved my outlook.

• Posted

Hi Susan and thank you for responding. I'm hoping I'll be able to go back to driving at the 6 week point. It's my right knee I had done so I know it'll be at least 3 more weeks before I'll be able to drive. I'm sure I'll feel better once I can get out on my own. Being confined is so difficult. I'm able to sleep in bed but I'm not sleeping mute than an hour or two at a time. So I'm sure the lack of sleep is adding to the feeling of being so down. Good luck with your knee and thank you for responding.

Sue

• Posted

Driving again is amazing - has its challenges but the freedom is so good. Not long nowsmile

• Posted

Hi Susan

It depends on which Knee but I had my right knee TKR I was driving inside 3 weeks , not so easy getting in and out of a car because of the knee bend, but I was confident to use the brake.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi Clive and Happy Thanksgiving!

it is my right knee that I had done but I couldn't imagine driving right now at 3 weeks post op. I have times where it's so stiff from the swelling that I can barely move it. I think it's going to be a while yet before I'll feel comfortable driving myself. I still walk with a walker too so getting that in and out of the car by myself would be risky. I sure look forward to the day when I can do it all though! By then we'll have snow on the ground and I'll be too afraid to walk in it. LOL

• Posted

Hi Sue, Happy Thanksgiving! I was the same way at 3 weeks. Swollen, stiff, in pain. At the end of 3 weeks i started using my cane around the house. At the end of 4 weeks i was using just my cane. By the end of 6 weeks i was driving. It won't be long and you will be out and about. You won't be doing any marathon shopping but you'll be able to run your own errands! By the way, i live in central Wisconsin. I understand how you feel about the snow and ice!

• Posted

Hi Sue

As I wrote my leg was also swollen , painful and stiff, but I was confident to be able to move my foot from the accelerator to the brake. It was a challenge for several weeks getting my right leg into the car. By using my left leg and raising my bum off the car seat it was possible. I did move away my crutches to a walking stick in the first week, as I found it easier.

Either way time heals keep your chin up, not sure where you are but Happy Thanks Giving, hot baths , icing, elevation and rest

• Posted

The snow and ice is going to be here all too soon and I'm at least hoping to be walking better by the time it arrives! My dog has been with my kids now for 3 weeks and I'm afraid he's going to have to be there much longer. Geez I miss that little bugger! But he's 63 pounds of energy and still has a lot of puppy in him. Going down 15 steps to take him out is a little too much right now. I'm looking forward to the next few weeks so that I can look back on week 3 and say "Whew, I'm glad that's over with"! Every few weeks I'm sure I'll see improvement it's just slow in coming. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving 😊

• Posted

This surgery will teach you patience! My therapist says think of it as a marathon, not a sprint. Everyone is different in their healing, but most of us have experienced weird pains in different places of the knee and leg. As nerves heal you may get "zingers" - feels like a quick electrical zap. I am 5 months post tkr. I still get little pains and still have problems walking very far, but I have other joint issues and am slower there, however my doctor says 6 months to a year for recovery. Just take it as it comes, don't worry unless you get red hot swelling which could be infection, everything else usually subsides on it own, it just takes time. I too took Percocet and used it the first 3 months, but am off it now. Still at times after a long day and an aching leg I wish I had a few more. I have low kidney function and cannot take NSAIDS, so that leaves just Tylenol for me, which is not much help. Overall though I am seeing a bigger improvement this month. I can walk a lot one day and hurt that night but now the next day I am fine again....

• Posted

November 3 made six months post total knee replacement let me and I am still suffering still sleeping with a pillow between my legs still walk with a limp cannot walk without a walker can't go upstairs can't go downstairs in constant pain sleepless nights depression who knows better than me I found another doctor said I have inflammation put me on medicine the size of horse pills and still no really I stay angry I stay mad I stay grouchy and lack of sleep has worn me out I went back to work to find some normalcy in my life but that doesn't work either have been praying and praying and praying that God will relieve me of this pain

• Posted

Aww, Sue you are not alone! I am 13 weeks out and things are much better. I still get a stiff knee and am sore and swollen when i over do it. But the improvement is remarkable. You are exactly where i was. Tears came easy, sleep didn't. At 5 weeks I finally asked for a sleeping pill. A couple nights of good sleep turned around my mood. I don't take the sleeping pill every night but i know i have it if needed. Hang in there. This a long process but you can do it, we can do it! Keep in touch!

• Posted

Its amazing isn't it. Two hours ago i wrote how little pain I have and now - liar liar pants on fire !! Just been out to water last the deck.....I am half way through it but have given up for today. leg elevated, cup of tea, ipad......

• Posted

Overdid it! As soon as you start to feel normal and try and do something...bam! Here comes the pain. Hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for such a positive response! The last few days I've been dealing with some nausea and that's made everything seem so much worse. I've missed 2 PT sessions because of it but I'm still doing PT at home. I'm praying I feel better by Friday because I don't want to cancel PT again. If I'm not up walking around I'm laying in bed reading. Seems my leg and stomach feel better if I just lay down. Thank you again for your response. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Could it be the pain meds causing your nausea? Always take them with some food, crackers. You will feel better. You are right about laying down, it always helped. Still does! In a few weeks you will be driving again. That in itself is going to make you feel so much better!
    • Posted

sue ask for some nausea medication from your surgeon it will help you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.