Dealing with pain and depression after total knee replacement

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hi everyone!

i was so happy to find this discussion group! I am 3 weeks post op after a total knee replacement on my right knee. The depression has finally hit me. Never feeling pain free, not sleeping well at night, being dependent on someone else to get me to PT or grocery shop has really gotten me down. I'm not one to cry, but today the tears came pretty easy. I too have the burning that everyone here talks about. My physical therapist said that's the nerves that are healing. After doing my exercises I find it easier to walk with less of a limp, however it doesn't take long and my knee stiffens right up again. The hospital sent me home with this great ice machine so I'm not having to use ice packs like others have talked about. I just put 4 bottles of frozen water in this machine and then fill it with water up to the water line. Put the top back on and plug it in. It has tubing that runs from the machine to the pad that you strap to your leg with attached Velcro. The pad is shaped to form to your thigh right above the knee and the start of the calf right below the knee. This machine has been a blessing! Once the bottles thaw out, I exchange them with 4 frozen bottles from the freezer so I'm never without ice. The machine circulates that cold water constantly so you have and even amount going to your whole surgical area. Icing is great but sometimes I feel stiffer than if I don't use it at all. I'm taking Percocet for the pain and it helps to some degree but doesn't take all the pain away. I can't take codine, Vicodin or morphine because they make me so sick. But I'm wondering how all of you are dealing with the depression that comes along with all the pain? I'm a very independent person and not having any family that live close by makes me rely on one other person to run errands or take me to PT. I'm so tired of always sitting with my legs up or sleeping with a pillow between my knees so I can lay on my side at night. The lack of sleeping for more than an hour at night before the pain wakes me up and I get myself in another position to sleep is wearing on me. Can someone more than 3 weeks out of post op show me that there is light at the end of the tunnel?? So many people that I've talked to that had this done years ago say it's the best thing they've ever done. I'm certainly not feeling that way right now. If you asked me today if I'd do this again my answer would be absolutely not!!! But I'm sure weeks from now I'll feel totally different. Someone please tell me that I won't always regret doing this. I knew it was going to be a tough recovery, but I didn't realize that 3 weeks after surgery I'd still be feeling like this. I know I'm improving because I see the changes when I'm doing my exercises at home. Something that was so difficult a week and a half ago is much easier to do now. I guess I just want someone who's surgery is maybe 6 weeks out to say "it does get better, this is how it is fir me now". Something, anything positive. I'm happy I found this site and I pray I get a response to my posting. Good luck to all of you! I know we'll all make it through this tough process.

Sue (from Wisconsin)

1 like, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sue. Yes I feel your pain. BTW, I'm up here in Minnesota so we're neighbors. I had a TKR on right knee on Sept. 6, 2016, almost 3 months out. It has been quite a ride battling the unknowns in all of this. Weeks 3-7 for me were the worst. I got pretty down a couple of times and just wanted to give up a be an invalid. I was angry that I was so helpless, depressed that it would never change. I'm happy to say that I am better now. I think that healing and going to PT 5X/week was the difference. It's a tough road. I iced my knee all day and my swelling was basically gone by week 5. My extension/flexion is at 4/117. I was kind of stuck at 95 for a few weeks. Now I do weights and it's been great. I get until Feb. to return to work and I hope to be ready for that. These are tough days right now for you. Take your pain meds so you can move your knee during PT- gotta keep moving. Rest. ICE. You are healing and it will get better! All the best.

• Posted

Happy Thanksgiving Michael. Thank you for writing, every little bit of advise or encouragement helps. I only get PT 3 times a week, the rest I'm not n my own. I too am going through the being angry stage along with the depression. I almost think it's impossible not to, constant pain is more than difficult to live with. And for people that are around you, unless they've had this done they can't even begin to imagine what it's like. I'm glad I found this blog and that I'm hearing from so many people that have taken the time to respond to me. It's a little bit easier knowing what I'm feeling is "normal" and about when I'll be able to see some changes. Thank you for taking the time to write, and good luck in your recovery!

Sue

• Posted

I'm 7? Weeks out.  Can't say anything that hasn't already been said.   All the stages have different challenges.  I.e., felt great after therapy yesterday, so spent 2 hrs. Cooking.  Today I dread getting out of bed.  Thigh has zappers, knee stiff.  Only good thing is I take my 7.5 Percocet at bedtime even if I need it earlier.  I'm also on Xanax and Cymbalta.  I sleep very well until the cat decides that my bad leg is where are you she wants to spend the night.  When I can't tolerate any more I make her move.

anyway, I find myself having pity parties when I've driven to store, then can only walk for half hr.  Every day is a new day.  Like a baby duck, I have to learn all over again.

at this stage nothing seems permanent, but after many false starts I've founts a physio whom I trust.  He's gentle, and I believe he really knows what he's doing.  I actually look forward to going to my appointments.  Not so in the past.

Bless us everyone 

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I have to ask, you're still going to physical Therapy after 7 weeks? Is that the norm? Well I suppose everyone is different and they do PT as needed. I know for starters 6 weeks is the minimum so who knows how long I'll be going. Right now I just want to get past the worst of the pain. I seem to have one area on my knee that's more painful then the rest. I had arthroscopic surgery on this knee last year and the area where they removed the torn meniscus is where the arthritis got really bad. Even though that's all removed now, that's where the pain seems the worst. I too have my own pity parties and I really want to get beyond that but I'm not sure how. I guess just taking one day at a time is the only way. I wish you the best, ave a great day!

• Posted

Such encouraging words. It's like 2 steps forward then 20 steps back! Glad to hear your PT is helping. God bless!

• Posted

Sue, I was originally scheduled for 6 weeks of PT, but, as my therapist said, we still had work to do, so I had two and a half more weeks. I had bilateral TKR. When the therapist released me, he said to continue doing leg lifts with ankle weights and to walk a lot. I had a great therapist and I enjoyed my sessions, even though they wore me out.
  • Posted

Hi Sue4610 it does get better I hit that same mark around the same time it got better at around the 6 week mark I completely understand going from independent to a dependant that was my hardest part you just wanna do everything on your own and than your knee reminds you that you can't. This is my second surgery in 3 months my first was a partial than 3 months later revision to total so having to depend on ppl has been a long time for me just waiting to get back to doing on my own.

• Posted

I hope you have lots of help! It's the simple things that drive you crazy lol. Getting up and going to the bathroom. Trying to carry your cup of coffee while not spilling. Showering. Getting dressed. Not being able to stand and cook or do housework. Ugh. Prayers for a good recovery.

• Posted

Count your blessings and continually think about people who are dealing with health issues way worse than yours.  I had TKR 9 months ago. My knee is huge and swollen. A damaged spine from the epidural, so I know what I am talking about.  But look around. I am healthy otherwise, have a home, plenty of food and warm clothes, people who love me......the list goes on and on.  It's hard, but normal to be depressed, especially if you're dealing with rain and gloomy skies.  Hang in there. You are a member of a big club.  (Prayer helps too).

• Posted

thank you for your response and I wish you the best of luck. I couldn't imagine going through what you're going through. One day at a time is the best any of us can do. I'll keep you in my prayers.

• Posted

I'm 17days post op, left knee due to osteonecrosis. I'm greatfull to have had the surgery as I was unable to walk at all. The first two weeks I did fantastic! I was ready to get back into the world then the depression kicked in. I'm crediting the depression to the codine. I had what I called my twice a day cocktail, it included a 12 hour codine for 14 days. The crying and poor poor me started at about the 10 day mark. I lost track of when or if I took my meds. I apologized to my husband and told him to hang on, the ride is going to get bumpy.  I've had to give him my PT schedule and my meds as I can't keep anything straight. I've stopped the 4 hour codine and I'm attempting to only take the Tramadol, any suggestions on pain relief is appreciated.. Sue, take care and hang on. 

• Posted

Hi Sue, 

I just recently discovered this forum and have taken comfort and reassurance from your post and the replies that what I'm going through is pretty normal.

Since you made this post 10 months ago, I'm wondering how you are feeling these days and your thoughts about your TKR now. 

Would love to hear!

Nora (in Ohio)

• Posted

Hi Nora,

Im doing great with the TKR! It just takes time and patience and the set back I had during PT didn't help. But I'm a year out now and doing great. One week ago I had a torn rotator cuff repaired so I'm just starting my recovery process and PT from that surgery. Thankfully I was one of few that came out of this with literally no pain. PT hurts a little but even that's not bad at all and I was told by PT that it's normally a much harder recovery than the TKR. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.