Dealing with the loss of a family member.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys I'm new here but I really need some advice..

I'm bipolar only diagnosed 18 months ago, treatment and medication are working well.

The problem I'm now facing is my Aunt has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and has a few weeks left to live..

I'm scared I'm not strong enough to support my mum and my young son though this tough time, and after my aunt has crossed over. My mind is already telling me I'm drowning and I'm getting some voices back telling me to run away I'm not going cope so best to leave ..

Any advice greatly received x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just love  your mum and continue being the loving mum you are to your son. Thats is all you need to do.  I am sorry about your  Aunt.you do not need to do anything but be loving. 
  • Posted

Hi,

My relationship with Jesus Christ is the only reason I have made it this far and the great support of my husband of 25yrs who is a follower of Christ as well is getting me through this month by month. I was diagnosed at the age of 40 with Bipolar, rapid cycling manic.  Two weeks up and 2 weeks down.  Super high and then dead low, two weeks about for both. Now 1 years later I thank god i have an understanding of this desease and i learned about myself.  I learned how to slow my moods down through talking aloud to myself.  This all has to do with behaviour of the mind, mindsets.  What I went through as a child and I never had couneloring so my feelings were buried alive.  That means these issues have to be dealt with at some point. I still go through every month but i prepare myself as I was told I am a spring into summer patient as that was when i was having my episodes. March is my birthday and April my anniversary so these are exciting times for me.  Now I quiet myself and do not try to build Rome in one day. Get to self examine yourself.  See what trigers you and deal with it.  I am on carbonazapam but I am somewhat balanced so i have to depend on god to give me peace of mind and everything else i need.  i listen to positive vibes and have positive people around me.  i declare the word of God over myself and I have a serious prayer life most times.  i know what the thoughts of god are about me and I have to sound out those other conversations that want to take over my mind. I will be praying for you as it is not easy what we go through but He is FAITHFUL.

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I'm in a similar situation- my wife was unfortunately diagnosed with cancer last week. She will be fine as it's only stage 1 and very treatable, but the stress has already set me off a little- we have two young children and hence a lot of responsibility is on my shoulders. I also have Borderline PD so my head is a mess at the moment, and I've had to back away for a few days so I can be as helpful as possible at home.

My advice is do what relaxation you can. Be there for your family as much as you can, but is also important that they realise the impact your aunt's illness is having on you. Try your best to strike a balance between supporting and being supported. Don't take the burden of responsibility alone- doing so has sent me into major depressions in the past. Be as open as you feel able with those around you and you will be ok. If you feel yourself going 'down' you need to back away a little- whilst it may be hard to do so you must think of your own wellbeing too. 

I hope that helps- I'll be praying you make it through such a tough season!

Charlie

• Posted

Hi

You have to be real with yourself and get to know what your tiggers are.  When you feel overwhelmed this is a trigger for depression do not bite off more than you can chew.  please always put yourself first.  Take quality time out for yourself.  Only read and watch things that are going to build you up.  This includes friends and family, stay away from negative people if you can help it.  Talk aloud to yourself to chase voices or thoughts out of your head.  when an episode or mood swing happens analse yourself.  Ask what caused this, why,where, who questions. Fide someone you can confide in and work with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.