Death - Alcoholic Liver Disease

Posted , 15 users are following.

My ex-husband has just died from Alcoholic Liver Disease. He became very bloated round the abdomen and his urine output and bowel movements erratic. He was hardly able to move around in the last week. I noticed when he came to meet my daughter and I that his eyes were very yellow. It was obvious to me that something terrible was happening. Alcohol had no effect on him in the last two weeks. He did not want to bother his doctor but after my insistence he saw a locum last Thursday who gave him tablets for nausea and something for constipation. He died on Monday after a two terrible nights of pain thinking it was the laxatives working! By the time I got an ambulance his chest was crackling and he could hardly breathe. He died in ICU 12 hours later.

I am so angry with the locum who gave him laxatives. She had his whole case history before her - his eyes were yellow, his abdomen was full of fluids - something terrible was happening inside. AND SHE GAVE HIM LAXATIVES. I need to do something. Could he have had a chance if seen by his normal GP!! I just don't know. Three days might have at least given him a chance.

Anyone any ideas? He struggled all his life and just couldn't beat alcoholism. But this was quick at the end.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you. He found out August 2017 he had liver disease. October 2017 he was diagnosed with liver failure. Back then is when he threw up a lot of blood. I see him worsening weekly.
    • Posted

WOW! I am so sorry to hear it's been that fast. Any symptoms before that? Symptoms a few years before? That is so fast!

• Posted

Very sorry to hear about your loss. T o prevent this from reocurring ESLD patients like me need to regulate digestive flow carefully as an impactacted colon will lead to quick death. This balance becomes harder all the time due to accute. dehydration vs dehydration vs. toxic overload brain destruction death

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.