Death by Zopiclone

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was told by my G,P today, that I would die if I took Zopiclone. I have been using this sleeper for about three years, because I have really bad 24/7 Tinnitus ,and cannot fall asleep because of the constant noise. for the past few weeks I have been having only four hours sleep. so I assumed that Zopiclone was no longer working. and asked the G ,P for Melatonin to try. He said ,did I know that Zopiclone would kill me. !!! he gave me one months supply of Circadin 2mg and see how it goes. I understand that to stop Zopiclone immediately ,is not a good idea, what the consequences of this will be, I can't imagine, but I do know that sleep deprivation, is as bad as having a disease. To say that I am stressed over this situation is also not good, Did the G,P do the right thing ,?? Has anyone used this Circadin. and did it work ??

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jacqueline...I think your doctor maybe scaremongering. Zopiclone won't kill you...although I think it depends on how much you take and what other drugs you are taking. It could be that a combination of drugs could indeed be harmful. In fact E Zopiclone - a newer version of the drug has been approved for long term use for insomnia in the US, so I wouldn't worry too much. Like you I suffer from tinnitus and have it 24/7 but with meditation and having ocean sounds to sleep with..you can find this on you tube...lovely ocean sounds - or whatever you want to mask tinnitus whilst you sleep. I occasionally take zopiclone but only maybe a couple of times a month. Like all drugs, its effectiveness wears off. I also use a supplement called NAC...I find it helps me with tinnitus...dampens it a bit, but I can't recommend it as each person reacts differently.Good luck!

• Posted

Hello Maureen. it's 1-47 am I have just woken up after having the most ferocious frightening nightmares ,where I was eventually strangled by a man who was in my bed and I screamed and screamed,until he killed me .The second one ,the entire contents of my house were taken .I won't go into more detail .I am just about to ring the Samaritans ,just to hear a friendly voice .don't know if it was the new drug , or not taking the Z .I don't take any prescription drugs at all because of the god awful side effects ,I prefer to use vitamins and herbs. Are you in the U.K ?? Going to ring the Samaritans now ,but thank you for answering ,I will ring the G.P tomorrow and tell him he was right about Z killing me.

• Posted

You are not taking the newer drug...it's not available in the UK. What I am saying is that Zopiclone is considered by the US FDA to be safe enough to use long term for insomnia. It's not killing you...you need to calm down...I also have nightmares from an abusive past...but you have to realize this is just your mind playing tricks. I also wake up from nightmares feeling panicky but I realize it's my mind ...calm down and play a meditation tape or listen to a guided meditation and go back to sleep. For some reason UK doctors are so against sleeping pills. I don't understand it. I am from the UK but I don't live there now. Other countries don't have this same reaction. I live in Thailand now...Zopiclone is not available here but I buy it when I go to Hong Kong. And as mentioned...I use it very sparingly...half a pill a couple of times a month...maybe a bit more...often less. How long have you been taking Z and how much at a time? Perhaps you have taken it for too long and taken too much...that might be a different story. Good luck!

• Posted

Morning ,. NO I am not taking the new Z, I was not aware of it ,until you mentioned it I take two 3,75 tabs ,,purely to send me off to sleep because of the Tinnitus. I was wondering if G.P's are aware of what happens when z is stopped dead, I always thought that drugs had to be reduced gradually . I never even dream , or am not aware ,as I never remember them . don't think my mind is playing "tricks" it is probably the stopping of the chemicals, Tinnitus went into overdrive, and still is .it sounds like a cave full of screeching bats ,and constant.

Questions need to be asked ,and my G .P ,who is not particularly caring, will be asked today . I don't need luck, just some compassion.

• Posted

I see that you have been taking it for quite a while. It's quite possible that like all benzodiazapine drugs, Z needs to be tapered slowly. I think you do need to check with your GP...since I take Z only sparingly I don't have the same issue. But to say that it's killing you is gross exaggeration. 7.5 mg is the normal dose for sleeping...I only use half that on occasion...so I am not in the same position. But like you I also suffer with tinnitus and nightmares...so I do feel compassion. I urge you not to overreact if you can...it will only make you feel worse. I don't recommend just stopping them...but taking a half at first and then not every day. Be aware that you are likely to suffer with rebound insomnia..well may not likely but possibly...and also withdrawal from any kind of benzo drug can give you nightmares. I was given valium many years ago and didn't know it was addictive...took it for a while and found quitting horrible...so it can be difficult giving up these drugs. Wishing you well

• Posted

Hello Jacqueline.

Maureen is accurate in saying that Zoplicone will not kill you. This is mostly a compassionate site where experiences and insights are shared. Like any prescribed medication, if more is taken than what is prescribed, there can be huge knock on effects & serious withdraw symptoms. Personally, I feel there is a huge hate campaign against Zoplicone. I can only speak of my own personal positive experience with Z. I have an inoperable medical condition & have taken 15mg of Zoplicone for more than 10 years. After all these years I remain tolerant of the dose and I am grateful for this. Everyone is different & what works for some may not work for others. I wish you strength and courage and valuable insight. Take care.

• Posted

Hello .thank you for your input. I take the dose allowed 7, and even though I would like longer sleep ,I will not take more, I also have conditions that are incurable .but I do control them without drugs .In saying that Tinnitus is by far the most depressing and uncontrollable situation and getting to sleep is impossible without some help from Z .Listening to screeching bats especially at night ,is not acceptable ,and some G.P's seem unable to grasp the fact that sleep is paramount and lack of it is dangerous, so I also get stressed, by being aware of the doctors who could stop my lifeline ,purely because they can. What is needed is some compassion ,but seemingly there is no prescription for it ,At the moment I am dreading going to sleep ,because of a vividly frightening nightmare I had last night. my Z has been stopped by the G P and another drug was given ,which I will not be taking again ,so, it looks like a totally sleepless night is due .I did try to speak to the G.P this morning ,but he does not work on Friday's. So I have to wait until Monday ,and I know he will not prescribe Z ,as he says it will kill me .There are no more doors to knock on,,

• Posted

Sleep deprivation is a massive big deal & has so many negative affects, on so much of our lives, thereby giving us even more problems to try & deal with. I think it's so counter productive but as you say, GP''s don't really care. Your GP is completely wrong & unprofessional to just stop the Z. It's not a drug that can just be stopped, it needs to he tapered down at a rate that you can manage however small it is. I can only reach out to you with compassion and empathy regarding Tinnitus. Though I've never experienced it my beloved Mummy had to live with it day & night & I ached for her. You are allowed to feel stressed and anxious about the situation. I wish there was something I could do for you to alleviate the living nightmare you are going through. I will uplift you in spirit & heart. May you get some sleep tonight ♡

• Posted

thank you ,,you are just what I need right now. I cannot understand the attitude of some G.P's The only thing I wish for mine is, that he will get Tinnitus ,with the follow on, of hardly any sleep.I hope I do sleep tonight, no nightmares. very real .The scary part was that I felt him strangling me ,and when I died .I woke up.i have trawled through my holiday cases and found a strip of Z. that are still in date. I'm getting quite anxious about speaking to the G,P on Monday ,but it has to be done.Have to confess ,when I read your post ,I did well up, thank you again, I just can't get out of this frightening frame of mind,if i sleep ,which I am sure I will ,I should feel a lot better .xxx

• Posted

It is indeed a scary frightening place to be. The nightmares are real & are one of the side effects of the withdrawal which your GP has only made worse by expecting you to go cold turkey. The mind boggles, shame on him. Be firm and stand your ground when you speak to your GP and insist on a very slow taper down at a pace that you can manage, for how ever long it takes. This is your life and it matters. Thank the good Lord above that you found a strip, what a massive relief that must be for you. I will continue to uplift you in spirit & in heart. Sending you a hug and praying that you will find peaceful sleep tonight. Night night ♡

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline...you really shouldn't just stop zopiclone cold turkey...it needs to be tapered. Can you not try a different GP, or is that too difficult in the UK now?

As for the tinnitus, I also have the shrieking in my ears. At night, I use my smart phone - go to YouTube and look for oceans sounds for sleeping. Some of these last 10 hours - so when I wake up during the night..which I always do, the sound of the ocean is still there. There are lots of sleeping sounds to choose...oceans, rain, gentle music, etc. The sea happens to be my favourite. Tinnitus is awful and depressing. I have learned to live with it over the many years I have had it. But I do need sound to mask it while I go to sleep.

As for the nightmares, I think these are the result of stopping zopiclone...it seems your GP is incompetent at best. Sad for you. In your position I would try to find a more understanding GP if that's possible. All the best. Maureen

• Posted

Morning ,,,as the song goes "What a difference a day makes " I took Z at 11pm normal time,,, I woke at ,,,,, 7-30 ,total undisturbed sleep, head is clear ,Tinnitus has toned down,,, I have Urticarea and Angiodema both of these had flared, ,this morning the lumps have gone ,almost ,and my skin has stopped itching .and my

B.P which had soared ,is now back to normal. Who would believe that one tablet could cause such a major disruption to a body. and mind .As I said yesterday your being with me at just the right time really helped. If the G.P ignores all this he must be totally heartless. I see that you are a HUGGER ,,so I am I .nothing nicer.

wonder why this GP is obsessed with making my life not worth living.

Double hug for you xxx

• Posted

Hello Maureen, I have just changed surgeries, due to the incompetence of the doctors, but .who had no problem with prescribing Zop, when made aware for it's use. New G P is totally unconcerned with everything that I have, some of them pretty awful.

I have had T T for 7 years ,and it has gathered momentum. i did have a really good mentor at the hospital, who i saw every 6 months and checked my hearing ,thankfully I have no problem with that. and supplied me with one white noise machine ,and when the other ear joined in she fitted that one as well, They are good for daytime ,but bed time is a whole new ballgame .That is where the Z came in,and radio 4 turned on .no music ,only quiet chat for an automatic hour ,My mentor left ,and I was put into the shred box. until I phoned the dept as one of the machines had died, Fortunately ,she listened to me about the state of the T T

felt around my neck and head ,and decided an M.R I scan was a good idea That was done in December ,and the waiting has been stressful. next Thursday ,is results day.

Thinking logically ,eventually , I thought that if there was anything sinister in my head ,they would have called me back. Fingers crossed ,there is nothing there ,but the NOISE.

If my present G P is going to carry on with his attitude ,I will be looking for another more compassionate one .

• Posted

Hello Hello....that's a happy hello 😃 😃 😃

I'm thrilled right outta my socks that you had a good night's rest. It's not a lot to ask to just be able to put our heads down at night and be able to sleep. So many other things seem to have improved dramatically for you over such a short amount of time.. it makes you wonder. These days it is near impossible to find a sympathetic doctor regarding Z. They seem to be hell bent on waving that infamous big wooden stick like we 4 ...going on 5. I've been there and, am there. You have a positive 3 yr history of Z & that should logically, and with evidence, count hugely in your favour. Yes, like you I'm in the hugger group, There can never be enough sincere huggers in the wold. . Such a tiny little thing like a hug can make such a difference. Perhaps we should start a Zopiclone & hugger movement. Everyone else seems to be protesting about something, the dreaded Brexit included.. Wishing you a blessed day, sending hugs and thrilled you can look forward to another night of sleep 😃♡

• Posted

Hello Maureen.

I see from one of your previous posts that you are in Thailand having previously lived in the UK. It's near impossible to find a compassionate GP here regarding Z. Some of us are extremely limited to changing practices because of the catchment area we live in. If we are able to change doctors there's no guarantee we'll find a half decent compassionate/ understanding Dr at the other end. Having used Z for many year's it is my own personal opinion & experience that because this drug has been abused, everyone who has had a good experience with it are being targeted. That's neither right or fair. Enjoy your sunny days in Thailand. Here the weather is as always, wet & miserable.

• Posted

Yes ,I smiled at this one and wept at the other one Sleep is soooooooo important ,yet it seems to be a dirty word amongst the people who are ,,,allegedly,,, supposedly,, here to keep us happy and healthy. Can only think of ONE of these super doc's, and he went to live in America,,, boy was he missed.

Pity the medicals,, don't pop into some of our sites ,and see what is really going on.

I love to hug ,,it should be on prescription... I hug surgeons ,consultants ,one or two nurses,and only one doctor, I was walking through the mall one day ,and a group of women were all hugging, so I joined in .I didn't know any one of them ,and I just said, that hugging was good for us. and they all agreed ,and we did it again,

So,if I get a choice of dying from Zop or dying from NO sleep,,,, The answer is a foregone conclusion .Did you hear that DOCTOR ,

READY ???? Massive long hug ,,,you deserve it . More to come. I am so glad you came onto this site,and found me.xxxxx Wanna pop over for a kwaffee ???

• Posted

Ten big loud happy cheers for all the huggers . And another ten big loud happy cheers for the positive benefits, of having, just a little help....(not more than what's been scripted).. just to be able to sleep.

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline...glad you are feeling a bit better today...makes a big difference. I am rubbish when I don't sleep.

I checked it out on Google...yes, you do indeed need to taper Z...you should not just stop it. I think it's the same for all the benzo drugs. I have a friend in the US who has been using it for years and continues to do so...but in the US as I mentioned it's approved for long term use.

Do try listening to ocean sounds or rainfall or something that you like when falling asleep...I can't sleep without a masking noise. I think you need to start taking half a Z one night, then regular dose for a week or two...and then half for 2 nights, increasing it to 3 nights as you go. It won't be easy but it should make it a bit easier. I do think though you need to work with a more understanding GP. I know from a British friend who visits Thailand who suffers with chronic insomnia that she cannot get sleeping o for more than a week at a time in t he UK. That just isn't true in other countries. Luckily she has found an alternative to Z (I bought her some whilst I was in Hong Kong last time) here in Thailand. It's a benzo also but it works well. Any way you look at it...benzos are addictive...but used judiciously and in small does for a very specific problem should be fine. A doctor in Hong Kong told me that very good drugs, such as Ativan, Xanax and Zopiclone are vilified for no good reason. Of course, they must be used sensibly, only as necessary and using the smallest dose which works. UK GP's seem incredibly insensitive to me...and I am from the UK although haven't lived there for years. Anyway...hope it all goes well. I know what it's like..I had to quit Valium years ago and it wasn't pretty. Cheers, Maureen

• Posted

Hello Maureen ,,,catch up time .I saw my Tinnitus consultant yesterday and told her everything, the nightmares .Doc stopping Zop dead ,she was not happy ,and said that she had NO objection to my taking Zop, as sleep deprivation is not acceptable .She is going to write to my G.P about it .wonder if G.P's bother to read letters about their patients, from consultants ??We will see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.