Death by Zopiclone

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was told by my G,P today, that I would die if I took Zopiclone. I have been using this sleeper for about three years, because I have really bad 24/7 Tinnitus ,and cannot fall asleep because of the constant noise. for the past few weeks I have been having only four hours sleep. so I assumed that Zopiclone was no longer working. and asked the G ,P for Melatonin to try. He said ,did I know that Zopiclone would kill me. !!! he gave me one months supply of Circadin 2mg and see how it goes. I understand that to stop Zopiclone immediately ,is not a good idea, what the consequences of this will be, I can't imagine, but I do know that sleep deprivation, is as bad as having a disease. To say that I am stressed over this situation is also not good, Did the G,P do the right thing ,?? Has anyone used this Circadin. and did it work ??

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Zopiclone is not good for your health, that's for sure but your physician is being a tad melodramatic about it killing you and really doesn't seem to know what he is talking about anyway.

You seem to be in tolerance withdrawal if the drug is no longer working for you and you need to taper from it slowly not abruptly - you can risk seizure if you cold turkey and you may end up in the emergency room in a hospital where they will ply you with more drugs to further confuse your poor brain. I doubt that the Circadin will offset your body's protest at suddenly stopping the physically addictive Zopiclone - these are completely different substances and have a different action altogether - one is a hormone, the other a Z Drug!

Your brain receptors have been altered by the Zopiclone in that the GABA receptors have been more or less become inactive - the GABA receptors need to heal which is why a slow reduction is so very important.

As for the sleep deprivation - I totally understand how you feel but again there is misinformation here. The more anxious you get about not being able to sleep the worse the insomnia will be. Find ways to listen to meditations and relax in bed...if your body is resting you are getting rest. I went for many months on what felt like zero sleep and I survived so will you.

Please read the Ashton Manual - Heather Ashton has helped many thousands of people, including me, off these drugs. There is a section of the manual that you might want to print off and give to your very uneducated doctor who is not doing you any favors by scaring you like that.

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

• Posted

Hello Coby.

Can you please kindly explain what you mean when you say "tolerance withdrawal". Thank you.

• Posted

Tolerance withdrawal means that your body has become to a certain dosage of the drug that you are on and wants more...if you don't give it more, you will begin to experience withdrawal symptoms. I realized that I was in tolerance withdrawal when I realized that I felt better after taking my next dose of Halcion which only has a half life of 2-4 hours so that feeling better didn't last long. That of course alerted me to the fact that I was addicted to the drug and to take more would send me down a negative spiral.

All of this is outlined in the Ashton Manual that I gave you a link to. Being educated by an 'expert' like Heather Ashton is very important and empowering. The Ashton Manual is a very good resource.

• Posted

The words that you've used "tolerance withdrawal" are conflicting words.

If you are tolerant of a medication why would you stop, & if your do stop, of course there will be withdrawal symptoms. You've stopped the medication. That's not tolerance withdrawal, it's simply withdrawal .

On the flip side of that, if you are

scripted a certain dosage & you get to a point where the dosage doesn't do what it says on the tin anymore, & you up it, you then become intolerant of the medication.

If you decide to stop the medication, intolerant or tolerant, of course you will experience withdrawal symptoms. Unless my logic button isn't working, this makes sense.

• Posted

Thank you for the info, I don't think that I am in deep remission, after not taking Z for one night ,rather that the circadin is not being accepted ,I have a high sensitivity to prescription drugs.and use Vitamins /

Mineral supplements instead,,, and ,,lots of Manuka honey ,the genuine honey ,,NOT the supermarket cheap products. I don't really want to stop the Z , I take 7 mils each night ,because It sends me off to sleep .MEGA Tinnitus is the major problem . and ,if it does as my selfish doctor says ,,it will kill me ,,so be it ,,anything is better than living this awful life . Why I have to put up with this constant harassment about Z beats me , MY surgery really ought to watch the programme "Behind Closed Doors " and see what proper caring doctors do for their patients ...I have never had a doctor who has said "Is there anything else I can help you with "? In my dreams comes to mind .

• Posted

I was prescribed 7 Zopiclone last week and I was awake all night. Yesterday he gave me 3 zolpidem as I am seeing a psychiatrist on Monday. I have been using sleeping tablets and benzodiazepines for so long now that they have a paradoxical effect. You can read my post about clonazepam if you are interested.

Your doctor could be telling the truth. Apparently people that use benzos and z drugs for long periods are at high risk for dementia/alzheimer's, cancer and early death.

My memory is damaged from years of use. Rebound insomnia when they stop working is worse than what you first sought treatment for.

Circadin is melatonin which your brain produces at night to put you to sleep and I have been meaning to buy it but I'm not sure if it's legal in UK. It regulates the circadian rhythm.

Are you in UK Jacqueline?

• Posted

Hello Chiefseattle. Can you please kindly show me scientific proof that "z drugs for long periods are at high risk for dementia/ alzheimers, cancer and early death". Thank you.

• Posted

I don't have scientific proof although I have read it in a few publications and heard it from the medical community. That is why I said 'Apparently'. I cannot say for certain if it is true or not.

Maybe try investigating yourself.

• Posted

No. Why do you think that? I didn't know it was possible to delete your posts.

Even if I was allowed I don't see a reason why I would. That would be very disrespectful. I am on here for advice and help, not to disrupt people.

I am new to the group. I doubt members are allowed to delete other members posts. Not sure?

Did you post in another thread?

• Posted

Good morning,,, I did not post in another thread ,because I started this one. I wanted to add something else to my reply to your post, but it was nowhere to be found. If you come across it ,will you let me know ,It's so frustrating. going to the trouble of responding to someone ,and then for it to disappear .I can't recall the whole content ,such a shame, Did you receive a post from me at all ? It started with ...Yes ,I do live in the U K

Jacqueline.

• Posted

Oh yes I remember asking you if you were in UK.

No I didn't see your reply to that. I see replies in my emails. Not sure what's going on?

• Posted

Well ,not a lot we can do about that one .however .I have posted to you on your message s,,,see what happens to that one. Let me know if that works !!!!

• Posted

where is it ???? Did you use the MESSAGE box ,it's under your name

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.