Debating SCS- Senza Nevro HF10 system or the Boston Scientific system

Posted , 24 users are following.

I now need to decide which SCS system I want to have implanted. I underswtand the Senza Nevro HF10 is relatively new in the USA and the Boston Scientific has been around a long time. I have had lower back pain and leg pain for many many years. Three spine surgeries have not reduced the constant pain I am in. I'm so tired of all the narcotic pain meds and wanting off of all of them. Please comment so as to help me make my decision. Which device shall I choose? Thank you for your time.

2 likes, 95 replies

95 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Kilee, my neurosurgeon does not like the Boston Scientific at all  He refuses to use it.  He just says there are problems with it.  I don't know what they are though.  I have not had a chance to ask him about the Nevro yet, but I wou ld be very cautious.  I am going toi hold off deciding to get the Nevro for now.

• Posted

BUT, I had the Medtronic Neurostimulator, and it helped the pain in my les.  You can get shocked if you turn it  up to high, or if you let a kid get a hold of the remote for it.  And the strenght of the tingling changes when you lay down/ stand up, sit don, for the first month, but just keep it turned down lo, or turn it off whenever you make major changes in your position.
    • Posted

Linda thank you so much for your time and sharing with me.

I wonder what your neurosurogen thinks about the Senza Nevro HF10 system? It is high frequency so the shock that other brands, like the Boston Scientific one , deliver doesn't happen with the NEVRO system . It is rechargeable about 30 minutes per day.

I will go to the website that you mentioned and study what is there.

I am thankful to the people who have shared with me. Kilee

• Posted

Killed I'm not sure if I asked you on an earlier thread but did you get the Nevro put in and did it help?

Thank you, Dianne

• Posted

My neurosurgeon recommended the Nevro Senso, but he wouldn't answer any questions and was very rude and abrupt with me, so I am looking for a different neurosurgeon. Also, I have read comments from others that the battery burns your skin when you recharge it. And you have to recharge it every day? I have a neurostimulator right now that I recharge once every 3 weeks for about 3 hours.  And some people are saying that it has made their pain worse.  So, I'm not sure right now.  I've been through enough procedures and surgeries that have not helped or have made things worse, so I remain cautious.  

Thanks for responding to me.  It's great to find a group of people who understand how chronic pain takes away the life you had previously.  I live with my boyfriend, and he doesn't understand.

• Posted

Linda,

I understand I had all long term boyfriend's and not one of them understand what we live in every day they think we are just faking it, my motto to all of them was you wouldn't be able to live in my shoes for 5 minutes never mind every day, I feel for you cause I have the nervo they were very vague on what side effects that this was going to have, it had such bad side effects on me, I don't know if you read my other messages, my unit shut off and I feel like I'm back to what normal can be for me, but still in pain I rather be in what pain I'm in instead of the pain with nervo, if I knew what it was going to be I would of never gotten this one.

Don't let anyone tell you what you feel and tell them they couldn't last 5 minutes in your shoes, hope you get some answers.

Feel better

Cindy

• Posted

Kilee, my pain management doctor hates Boston Scientific and says it has a lot of problems.  My new neurosurgeon has recommended the Senze Nero HF10, but I have read so many negative comments here, that I am not sure what to do. I had the Medtronic SCS which really helped my leg pain the first time I got it.  I had to have it removed when I had extensive back surgery, and another doctor replaced it, but he put it in the wrong place, so it doesn't work right (only helps in my calves, not my upper legs).  Out of the three, I personally would recommend Medtronic, though it does nothing for your lower back.  Do you have sciatica pain?  I recently had a sympathetic nerve block that helped my legs, so now they are doing the RFA. I actually have hope for that.  Then, I am going to ask them to do the SI Joint injection to see if that helps with my back pain.  Best of luck to you.  So sorry you are going through this.
    • Posted

Linda, your note to me is very very much appreciated. I did not know the Metatronic would not deal with lower back pain. That is where my greatest discomfort is on a constant basis. I deal with leg pain also. I have had 3 spine surgeries. Have had numerous injections with no good results. I am seeing a doctor now that does acupuncture. He has very renowned in this area but still no good results for me. I have seen chiropractors as well. Again thank you for your response, it helps me to make an informed decision. Kilee
    • Posted

Hi Kilee. The Nevro Senso HF10 is supposed to help with leg pain and back pain.  I have read some negative responses here though.  About 4 people have said it made their pain worse, and that the battery has to be recharged daily and that it burns.   However, I think only the people with bad experiences write about it, so there  may be lots of people with good experiences too.  I am supposed to get the Nevro Senso HF10 because I too have low back pain and leg pain, but I am going to try this sympathetic rfa first.  I went to acupuncture and had no response until the 20th time!  And then, I was totally relaxed!  Like drugged out!  I hit a road divider on the way home!  So keep up with the acupunture.  It might just take a while.  Good luck o you.rolleyes
    • Posted

Thanks again for your comments. I don't know about sympathetic rfa. I will study that.
    • Posted

FYI-- I noticed the 2 year range. I copied the following for you.

Benefits of radiofrequency ablation include:

Pain relief for up to 2 years[9][10][11][12][13][14][15]

Significant and longer lasting pain relief compared to steroid injections[13]

Low complication and morbidity rates[9][12][13][14][16]

Appreciable pain relief compared to surgery: Nearly half of back pain sufferers are not helped by surgery[15]

Greater range of motion[9][12][16]

Lower use of analgesics[9][12]

Improved quality of life[9]

Short recovery time

• Posted

Wow, thank you for this information.  I'm really kind of nervous because they haven't documented it right.  The first time that Dr. K did the block, he said he was doing L4. That injection helped my right foot quite a bit, but not my left leg. The next time I was there, Dr. K was off duty, so Dr. A did it.  There was no documentation about which Level they did the first time! I kept telling them it was L4, but no one would listen to me.  They finally called Dr. K at home, where he had no records, and he GUESSED L3. So the second time, they did L3 and it barely did anything to my right foot. But a few days later, my left leg wasn't hurting as much, but I don't know if it was from the block or not because it was about 4 days later.  I went back to the office and told them there was confusion abut the levels, and told them the Level 3 didn't help at all.  They told me well, they were going straight to the RFA anyway.  They wouldn't tell me which level. I called back in to the triage dept. and told them I would like another trial nerve block at L3 on the left and L4 on the right just to be sure, and they told me they were doing L3 on both sides.  I don't thiink they have the right levels.  So, I have decided to go back into the office again and this time demand to see the doctor because all I ever see at the office is the Physician Assistant.  So that's why I don't want to proceed until we get the right levels figured out.
    • Posted

Good for you Linda. It's your body and they need to account for what they are doing. And you need to be certain they are listening to you. You go girl! Kilee
    • Posted

I have had this done a few years back with zero success. I had just forgotten the name of the procedure until you cleared it up for me. Kilee
    • Posted

the RFA? Yes, I had about 30 injections that did zip.  So I want to make sure we have the right levels. But I called yesterday, and it will take a month to get into the doctor. I think I'll go ahead and make the appt even if it takes a month to get in. Thanks for talking to me about it. I really liked the info about the RFA that you sent mt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.