Debating SCS- Senza Nevro HF10 system or the Boston Scientific system

Posted , 24 users are following.

I now need to decide which SCS system I want to have implanted. I underswtand the Senza Nevro HF10 is relatively new in the USA and the Boston Scientific has been around a long time. I have had lower back pain and leg pain for many many years. Three spine surgeries have not reduced the constant pain I am in. I'm so tired of all the narcotic pain meds and wanting off of all of them. Please comment so as to help me make my decision. Which device shall I choose? Thank you for your time.

2 likes, 95 replies

95 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

RFA is radio frequency ablation - it's burning the nerves.  They try it after a successful nerve block.  It's my first one.  I have one doctor who I trust more than all the other doctors and he says NO do not get the Boston Scientific.  I think I will call him and try to get his opinion on the Nevro.  I don't go to him any more because of my new insurance, but I think he wou ld be willing to give me his opinion.  When I find out, I'll let you know.

• Posted

I have tried the RFA and it worked for eight days.  I was very excited about it and was incredibly optimistic.   I even planned a ski trip in January.  sad  it only worked a short time Primarily due to the steroid injections I believe, They only last a week or so.    My nerves are entrapped by scar tissue from previous surgeries in several places and were difficult to see and pinpoint. My pain doctor was actually more excited about the Nevro HF10 but I was and still am afraid of implanting anything in my body let alone having to charge it every night.   On the RFA I  was told that it could last for four to six months but that was not the case.   Prior to that I tried monthly service injections in my pain doctors office 
  • Posted

Sorry about that I am new here and that message just sent on its own.   I meant monthly steroid injections.   I started those in July and did them monthly through November but they lasted three days, 3/30 days a month of pain relief didn't work for me.  However, I am so sick of the Percocet haze, I love my job, and I really want to get back to work, soon.   I have low back pain in L4 and L5 and also abdominal nerve pain that's where the entrapped nerve is located.   For me now it is either SCA or another surgery. sad. I almost died in August 2014 due to a botched surgery and as a single mom with four kids, one in college, and an exhusband out of the picture completely I need to conquer this pain.   I have tried to search high and low for the negatives for this Nevro hf10 procedure and I have found next to nothing except in this thread!   Most of what I have found are positive reviews posted by the company! That makes me very nervous.  sad.  Never a good sign. I am scheduled for the trial starting on jan 19 I want to find out as much as I can before then.

• Posted

kim, your message is greatly appreciated. That nevro hf10 is relatively new in the United States so there is not a lot of data on it yet. It does not have that shocking burning biting feelings that the other SCS systems have because it is high frequency. Regarding charging, I understand it takes approximately 30 minutes per day holding still next to an external unit for that amount of time. Unless it burns or hurts I don't see charging to be a problem. Is there a way you and I can stay in contact? You are scheduled for the test on the 19th correct? I am currently scheduled for the real deal on the 25th of January. That will happen unless I change my mind during this discovery process. Kilee
    • Posted

Kilee,

The charge times depends on what frequency you are on too, the higher the more time, the longest for me was an hour, but I forgot to do the night before lol but usually 15-20 mins I was running like 13 mins a night, for me it didn't work, but everyone is different, so please I have the book on it and if you need any information I will be glad to help, just because I'm difficult doesn't mean it won't work for you! Stay positive !!

Cindy ( Cynthia)

• Posted

Cynthia. Could you please mention the book name? Is it available on Amazon? 
  • Posted

Sure kilee, I just joined this forum, I don't want to post my email address on here or phone number, how do we do that? I can tell you more of what I have discovered 
    • Posted

Kim, the representative said these don't burn. Some other companies have/ had burning issues and some or all didn't have a temperature control. The temp on these according to him is 100.5 degrees with a monitor for temperature control. That is during charging.
    • Posted

I was referring to the "NERVO HF10" SCS system.
  • Posted

I emailed you directly kilee did you get it?   How did you get a direct contact at the Nevro company? A rep there? I am currently really questioning my decision to try this out now.     What do you know about never being able to wear tight pants or jeans again?  How big is this implant?   If you have to charge it does it need to be on the flat stomach I have worked so hard to have?   I am too young to have an implant that only blocks the pain impulses and my nerve damage is going to progress and I will be blissfully unaware however in a year or so that permanent nerve damage will be even more permanent!  I'm reconsidering finding a peripheral nerve surgeon anywhere in the country at Mayo or Johns Hopkins or something, the original plan I came up with was to get the Nevro hf 10 while I researched surgeons to fix the issue and buy myself a year to do the research to find the very best person, but now I think that I might want to skip to Nevro HF10 after reading about it on here, I might want to go straight to the surgeon?! 
    • Posted

Kim, I have been talking with a representative who did the test with me. I am told that the device is implanted above a person's pant line so it should not be an issue with clothing. I understand it's implanted in one's back on the right or left side. I think the charging unit could be in one chair and one could just sit against it for that petiod of time.
    • Posted

Kilee,

Make sure they go high enough I can't wear jeans cuz it rubs on the battery and pushes on it, so for me I wish I ask for the belly backside is hard to do, and I really don't have much back there lol so it is a bother to me.

Good luck

Cindy

• Posted

As far as the battery implant goes. I have a medtronic scs, and the battery is on the right side of my back, above the pant line, and I don't have any problems with it.  But mine only has to be charged once every 3 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.