Debilitating fatigue and lack of motivation before cycle

Posted , 25 users are following.

Is anyone here struggling with severe fatigue and zero motivation to do anything before ;your cycle? I am due for my cycle in about a week and I am dealing with crippling fatigue, and absolutely no desire to do anything. I have a ton of housework, laundry and things to be done but I can't even think straight, I am so tired. This is not like me at all. I am a neat freak about my house and I could care less that dishes need to be done, and laundry needs folding. 

I felt good the past few days and thought I was getting back to being somewhat human and myself, then this peri starts rearing its ugly head. Its almost as if I only get a few decent days a month. 

Is anybody battling the fatigue and lack of motivation like this? 

2 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I get this also. I am about a week before my period start and I start feeling exhausted. Like one thing to do a day seems like too much. I yawn alot and feel so fatigued.
  • Posted

Oh yes, that's me. I sleep through my alarm at least once the week before my period, I walk around like something out of the living dead, I even struggled to do homework with my youngest tonight. Like you I like order,neatness and cleanliness around the house but the week before and the first couple of days I just cannot be bothered. Then around day 3 I feel a sense of calm and normality wash over me,that usually lasts until around ovulation then I start to feel yuk again. Such joy isn't it!! X
  • Posted

Marisa and Donna, thank you for replying. Not that I am happy others deal with this, but it helps to know I am not the only going thru this peri symptom as well. Its just the most unbearable fatigue. The lack of motivation and fatigue makes you wonder if you are going thru a depressive episode. I tried B-12 and it did nothing for me today. I think sleep and rest are the only thing that will make me feel better. Can't wait until this ends. 
  • Posted

Hi Snowbell,

I was like that, I was rarely out of the kitchen and always tidying etc.

Then I got this awful crashing fatigue.

At the time I didn't know it was peri but yes I used to have a good week then go downhill probably for 3.

My husband is good and ended up doing a lot more than his fair share of the house work.

He's not as obsessive about it as I was and it pains me to look at what I would have done previously.

It seems to be about pacing yourself when it's really bad and I know if I'm not feeling so bad I can get on with a bit.

I'm on HRT now and I'm pleased to say I seem to be achieving more these days than I was 6 months ago. Even so I'm still not as full of energy as I was before peri.

• Posted

Zigangie,

What kind of HRT are you taking? I may need to ask for some. This has been so debilitating. Between the fatigue, lack of motivation, anxiety, depression and a hundread other symptoms, I just need some relief. 

• Posted

You are most welcome,

Hope you have the same god results if you try it that I have had.

• Posted

I know what you mean. I struggle with fatigue too right before my cycle. My cycle is due this coming week and I am just plain tired. I don't want to do anything.
  • Posted

Yes... and when I feel like this, I don't want to do anything at all.  My home is always a bit messy, never used to be like that, and I feel sloppy and careless as a result.  I was doing really well yesterday but have crashed completely today.
  • Posted

Jamie and Elizabeth, 

It seems like we are all running around the same cycle timeframe and can most definitely relate to one another. Boy, is this fatigue the pits though. I would usually be so ashamed of how my home looks, but since peri hit, I really don't care. How terrible is that? I am also supposed to be getting my house ready to put up for sale soon and move to a condo while it is selling. I can't even think about packing or doing the extra work needed right now. The only positive thing is it being vacant while on the market. At least I won't have to clean it and that will be one less worry. 

• Posted

I know what you mean. I've been really lazy. Just laying around. I suppose to be spring cleaning, but I just don't have the motivation.
    • Posted

If it makes you feel any better, I left the clothes in the dryer on extra time just to avoid folding them. I think I may have shrunk the cotton shirts a size from doing that and to be honest, I dont even care. I'll go get new ones when I feel better. As I sit here writing, they are now getting wrinkled in the dryer from just sitting and yet again, I dont have any motivation to do anything about it.  I just want to lie on the couch with my laptop. Oh and don't get me started on the ravaging hunger and craving for chocolate right now. I went from zero appetite just a few weeks ago to can't stop eating and craving foods. Oh my. This is a crazy thing to be going thru. 
    • Posted

Oh my goodness, we are living parallel lives!  I'm too embarrassed to say how much chocolate I've eaten this weekend and hope the pants I put in the dryer yesterday didn't shrink too much.  Definitely on same cycle!  Scary!
    • Posted

Jamie, I was going to do that, too.  Didn't happen.  I miss my old self.
    • Posted

Oh yea, I have a craving for some cake. But right now I'm going through a bad spell of gas. This just gets on my nerves.
    • Posted

I miss my old self too. I look around and feel like everybody is fairing along just fine and I'm always looking around anxious, scared of what's going to happen to me next. Trying to go out and act like nothing is wrong just in an effort to be normal. When Im far from normal. At least thats how I feel. I know peri/meno is not a disease. But I just don't feel well.
    • Posted

So true, Jamie... it feels like a disease at times, doesn't it?
    • Posted

Me too Jamie. I look out my window, I live next to a public parking lot, and see people going about their lives and think they are out there doing life while I sit at home feeling crummy.
    • Posted

Hormones can play a dirty trick on you. I have a good week or two but I know it's coming back. What keeps me going is knowing that these symptoms will eventually decrease and some will completely go away and I will be ok. I won't be the old me because this is a change, but I will feel good again.
    • Posted

I think I got over that feeling, also found out some ladies I know have had it bad enough to be suicidal, but said nothing at the time.

I felt so jealous of my daughters and their zest and energy for a while.

But sitting in my car one day I watched a lady my age approach and thought she looks happy but as she got closer she gave me a kind of look, I don't know rolled her eyes sort of, and I thought you know she probably feels much the same and maybe women have seen me out shopping and thought she's coping OK.

This happened before I started HRT and began to feel better.

I really think it's a subject that is avoided and should be discussed more, it's almost as if women are embarrassed by admitting they are having a rough time.

My youngest daughter always made me laugh 'what's wrong mum, are you having the time of your life? '

• Posted

Thanks I will try to remember this will pass someday. I wish I could be more positive like that. I'be been in severe depression since last summer and it's just wearing me out on every level. Plus I don't have much support so I am feeling the results of a lifetime of isolating myself. When I get better I am going to try and cultivate friendships more. I've been much of a loner all my life. I also thought I can take care of myself and of all things didn't think about peri symptoms knocking me down.
    • Posted

True I'm comparing people's outside to my inside. That's funny about the lady giving you that look.
    • Posted

I get it. I was always a outgoing independent person. This peri thing really through me for a loop. This wasn't expected and surely not this early in age. I had so many symptoms since I was 35 and didn't even realize it. But since the harder of thing has come about, I have drastically changed without notice. It took one person to tell me that they were really scared for me. I had lost weight so rapidly, I was going to the ER every other day. I was barely eating. I had no appetite worrying about what was wrong with me, and my anxiety was horrible. Now I'm not magically back to the way I was, but as time goes by I'm a little better. Enough doctors basically telling me I'm a depressed hypochondriac was enough to make me tackle this head on. The symptoms come and go so I don't feel bad all the time but when I do I try to distract myself. The hardest one is the doom and gloom and the heart palps for me. It's hard to shake the negative thoughts and the palps can be extremely freightening. It's still going to take me more time to deal with these but again I'm better than I was. I just sit down and tell myself over and over again that I will be ok.
    • Posted

Hi Jamie,

I think such a relief to find this site and realise that you are not alone and don't have some awful disease going on really helps a lot too. It was just such a lonely time for me, I've just recommended a friend take a look at this and menopause matters on Facebook.

These days if I'm a around ladies of the same age I bring it up in a while and so many just seem to suffer in silence or worse they think, as I did it's just them being funny.

I did have a little of the hormonal rage for a while after my second child and remember thinking then good grief, this really isn't me.

I had barely visited a doctor in my life except for birth control and having babies. Then I was there every week for a few years.

• Posted

Now that was me. I only went for having babies or if I really needed to which I didn't. A few months ago I practically lived in the ER. I do think if I had kept up with regular docs visits when I was in my mid 30's I would have known a little more. I had so many changes and I really thought it was pms and normal. I would have taken a little better care of myself. I was burning the candle at both ends, eating all the not so good things in an abundance, and drinking wine and I was addicted to pepsi. I should have been drinking more water, better eating habits, and taken a good woman's mutivitamin. This stuff hit me hard at 38 but I'm glad it was no serious illness and I still have a chance to take better care of myself. This site was the best thing that happened to me. It really helped me to get a better understanding and to know that I am not alone. I was really becoming an anxiety driven lunatic. I've never felt so isolated. I tucked myself away so I wasn't worrying everyone else with how I was I feeling. I felt that when I tried to explain no one was listening or thinking that I was crazy. No one else around me was acting the way I was. Until I started telling my family about this site and the things I have discovered they have started opening up more about what they expierenced and I had no idea that they were suffering. I saw my mom suffering but she never saw a doctor and just toughed it out. She had no idea of perimenopause so she didn't know what she was going through. She just knew that after she had no cycles and hot flashes that she was in menopause. After me telling her about this site and the kind women thay have shared their expierences, knowledge, and support, she brought it to my attention that I was expierencing these symptoms a long time before I got to this point. If there was more research done on peri/meno, and some long term alternatives for woman suffering, it would be better to cope with. I know that it is a natural transition but it should be taken more seriously. The good thing is this site and some other articles I've come across, have reassured me that I will get through it and being a little more kind to my body through some lifestyle changes can make a difference. I hate the way I feel at times, but I refuse to let it take me completely down. I have good days and bad days but on the bad days I tell myself constantly that it's temporary.
    • Posted

I agree 100% Jamie. Without this site , I honestly don't know what I would have done. I have not ever seen so many doctors in this past 8 months than in all my life. I don't think it helped my doc putting me on massive doses of progesterone cream when I wasn't low to begin with and my estrogen we declining. I really think that made things worse. Thank you to everyone on here for the support you provide to others when they are hurting and need comfort . This forum is so necessary and needed. I'm glad I have it.
    • Posted

Docs are trained and some are exceptional in their profession, but they are human and make mistakes. They don't know everything but won't tell you that. It's hit or miss with them at times too. You just have to find what works for you. I'm slowly learning that. I was having some dizzy spells and the doc said you may need magnesium. Well after the blood work up my magnesium was fine. I had a great level. I'm realizing that when the hormones fluctuate, you are going to get what you are going to get. I just try to manage.
    • Posted

That's the best advice, just try to manage the best you can. It's very hard but we have seemed to get thru so far. I keep telling myself I can do it. Gotta give yourself the pep talk sometimes.
    • Posted

I  definitely   have  to   share  my  experience   about  this  crazy  abnormal  cycle  I   go   threw  I  feel  I   got  hit  with  tons   of   bricks  soon    sleepy   no   energy   to   get  anything   done  it's  a   nightmare  I   can't   even   function  like   a   normal  human...body aches  soo  fatigued   tired  beyond  words...I  just  want  stay    in    bed   it's   very   sad   sorry  for  the   woman   that   go  threw   this...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.