Debilitating fatigue and lack of motivation before cycle

Posted , 25 users are following.

Is anyone here struggling with severe fatigue and zero motivation to do anything before ;your cycle? I am due for my cycle in about a week and I am dealing with crippling fatigue, and absolutely no desire to do anything. I have a ton of housework, laundry and things to be done but I can't even think straight, I am so tired. This is not like me at all. I am a neat freak about my house and I could care less that dishes need to be done, and laundry needs folding. 

I felt good the past few days and thought I was getting back to being somewhat human and myself, then this peri starts rearing its ugly head. Its almost as if I only get a few decent days a month. 

Is anybody battling the fatigue and lack of motivation like this? 

2 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes I am same with no motivation and can hardly do anything even basics like making food for myself. I'm on day two of continuous BC but that's not helping either as the symptoms are still present. I used to get one ok week after my period but now I don't even have that with peri. I'm 46 and can't imagine being like this til after menopause.
    • Posted

Im so sorry CC, I can totally sympathize with you. I certainly hope it gets better for all of us. I feel so lazy. I just want to cry thinking this could go on for so long. How unfair. 
    • Posted

Same here.  This isn't who I am.  My boss treats me like I've lost my mind.  Something needs to give.
    • Posted

I didn't know anything about it being peri and thought I must have some horrible disease.

In the early days always arguing with my husband trying to tell him this just wasn't me at all.

We had only met and married two years before it all began so he really did feel I had worked my butt off to 'catch' him and was actually just a lazy bitch.

He's a bit more chilled about it these days and I is pleased I look on this forum and try to help if I can.

I wish I could have shown him some of your comments on here years ago when it first started.

• Posted

Snowbell   I   sympathize  with  u  I  go  threw  hell  with  this  I  just  want  to   curl  up   and   stay   in   bedroom  hopefully  menapause   will   not  be   like  this....
  • Posted

Hi, I think its been awhile since anyone posted on here but Ive just found this site after googling "extreme fatigue before lperiod starts"

But this is what Ive been doing for years every day...seeking to find the answers to what is wrong with me. . Like alot of the posts here , Ive been thru countless dr's , inpatient treatment for depression and complete breakdowns..countless trips to ER with critically low blood pressure, dizziness, uti's and have lost everything. Literally everything. Im so grateful to have found this site. And many times, my father has said over the years that he wonders this may all be hormonal. I have been going through this for about 9 years!!

I have literally lost everything. Im 48 years old and now on disability??!!! Living with my father and gratefully have my youngest daughter back with me now. I am due to have a full hysterecomy June 1.

Any suggestions??

• Posted

Yes the fatigue is shocking to the point where even moving was a struggle. I found it was a whole body fatigue if that makes sense. Also the lack of motivation which for me was part of the depression that came with Peri was very hard to deal with. I am very self motivated and very structured about what I do each day and I remember wondering on one of my days off what would happen if I just did nothing, not even make the bed or clean up the kitchen. Think I ended up crying and doing to anyway. I'm on bio identical hormones now and the depression and fatigue has gone plus most of my other symptoms and I'm slowly feeling my motivation return. I had no idea what peri was going to be like. Until you experience some of the shocking symptoms yourself I don't think we can truly understand its impact. I have no idea where I'd be now if it wasn't for all the wonderful ladies on this forum.

• Posted

Hi,

I have just read your reply to snowbell1975 and though your response was to her, there were things you said that Id like to ask you about, if you dont mind?

Your response (says was 20 hours ago?) gave me a bit of hope and encouragement as I am pretty much at the very opposite end of the spectrum.

If you would, pls read my post above....Im new and it was my first post.

Ive only gotten feedback from one person and she actually responded in aprivate message. But as you and others have said how much this group has helped, I def can see how and thats just from the one response so far and then my reading your response to Snowbell1975.

Thank you!!

• Posted

Hi Ashley, please ask me anything. I'm very passionate about how much I believe our hormones shape who we are through our lives. I don't know everything but i know that for me my hormones control how I feel and act and how I deal with life. Iv always suffered mood problems with bouts of depression and crazy obsessive thinking. Iv used anti depressants a couple of times and been to psychologists and councelors which has helped when I can't cope but I know now that until I have my hormones balanced properly nothing else will fix the problem. Over the years I've known I get PMS but never realized that the rest of my issues are also due to hormone fluctuations. My mood swings took a turn for the worst through Peri and they nearly destroyed me. If it wasn't for this forum and my boyfriend thoughtfully pointing out that I was becoming unhinged I don't know what would have happened. My doctor is a genius and I now know I can't handle spikes in estrogen at all and when it rises it literally makes me crazy. The bios plus I take dim which helps control bad estrogen (not all estrogen is good) and after a few months of tweeking my bios I think its coming together. My doctor used my blood results plus my symptoms and my body type which told him I'm progesterone dominant to work out my BHRT. Women need a lot more education about our hormones but who can educate us when even our doctors don't understand. My boyfriend studied female hormones a few years ago and has taught me a lot too. I also tracked all my symptoms in detail for about 18 months using a phone app so I had good information when I went to see the doctor who is helping me. There are doctors out there but you have to search for them. I got lucky and I also won't quit till I sort this out. The physical stuff through Peri was bad but if I lose mind then there's nothing left.

I really hope this helps you and pleeeeease ask me anything. Was going to msg you privately but couldn't work out how.

• Posted

Hello, thx for your input : is hopegiving ;-)

what phone app do you usei am not a native english speaker so i dont really understand what you mean when you say "the bios plus i take dim..."

and ehat is BHRT? 

Thank you so much for the help! This peri is also making my life really hard... have been suffering from CFS symptoms for 5 years, now a bit better since a year and it seems that now this peri is knocking me down... 

• Posted

Hi...I'm on bio identical hormone replacement which is a natural hormone therapy and because my problem is high estrogen I take dim which is an anti estrogen to help bring my estrogen down. The phone app is called My Days where I record all my symptoms daily. Then my doctor uses my blood work plus my symptoms to work out what hormone replacement to give me. I'v been on bio identical hormones for 6 months now and they have given me my life back. They didnt fix me instantly, it took some time to get the levels right but I'm finally feeling good again. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi ladies.

Ive been feeling quite bad for a long time. Im 41 years old with 2 small children 6 and 2.

Ive always had pcos so have struggled with all the usual symptoms over the years especially moodiness.

It took me 10 years to have my first child after ivf and 2 late miscarriages.

I thought i had gone through the worst but over the last year or so things have gotten bad. Ive always had menorrhagia (v heavy menstrual bleeding) but it has now reached another level. I have to wear tenna pants with pads due to the flooding. The worst thing is not even the bleeding its the recovery process after! My hormones are like totally all over the place and I literally feel like im falling to bits mentally and physically!

The only relief I get is a specially made up chinese tonic which i boil and drink for about 2-3 days along with my b vitamins, d vitamins, ashwarghanda, shatavara and whatever else i think will bring relief! I also lay off sugar and gluten and try to nourish myself with greens and good veg.

Ive started to exercise more and that has helped too.

I just feel so out of synch most of the time and feel as if its almost impossible to achieve my goals.

Its so lonely feeling like such a wreck most of the time and no one understands. For years ive been going back and forth to the docs with this blood test and that only to tell me its my iron or my d vits. No one even considered perimenopause. Infact i never even new what it was until i googled my symptoms and started to find diff forums and sites with info!

Over the last few months or so my anxiety levels have risen terribly and i get palpitations. Ive also noticed that my skin is so itchy especially at bedtime. Ive been reading about progesterone as i think i have to much estrogen which is causing heavy periods. Ive read that progesterone can eliviate this. Does anyone have any experience with this? Im scared to just go off and start taking anything. I really wish i had a knowledgable practioner to guide me...Any suggestions ladies? I would be most grateful...xxx

• Posted

Hi, I feel exactly the same when it gets to having a week left of taking my contraceptive pill I start feeling so tired that even doing day to day stuff is a struggle. 
  • Posted

Im so glad im not alone here. Its so easy to feel isolated and alone feeling like this....I had been given a 3mth course of iron as they said my iron stores were low. But its wiping me out every mth. No energy..no motivation...irritable...frustrated...angry...impatient and weepy. Im not normally like tht. My periods are regular and I eat well. My hubby is so understanding. I actually force my self to get things done as they wldnt..my daughters 19 and not very helpful..i feel like i want to bury her under the patio sometimes..lol. Im glad i found this wee discussion x
  • Posted

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I woke up at 4:30am feeling buried under a pile off rocks. The fatigue I feel is unbelievable. I decided to Google it and stumbled across this post.

My husband had to help me off the bed to use the bathroom. I have had these symptoms since my 20's But each year it seems to get worse. I am 31 now and I have a 2 1/2 year old. I'm 4 days out from my period.

My symptoms start a week or 10 days before and get progressively worse till my period arrived then relief.

First I start out with loss of appetite then go to ravaging hunger. I work has to take good care of myself my family and son. I exercise about 4 - 5 days a week. I eat a vegetarian diet, no gluten or sugary drinks mostly water and tea. But when i start to feel like this exercising could almost kill me, I feel worse fatigue so bad that I cant even breathe on my own, horrible digestive problems excruciating stomach pain that I almost go to the ER ( please let me know if anyone gets bad digestive symptoms). I'm in a fog all day. My mood swings go from euphoric to anger to hysteria. Oh and the insomnia 3 days before my period it causes me to just want to end my life. I lay there wide awake staring at my husband sleep. Housework feels like a burden.

My hubby feels so bad for me. He is very helpful and shares much of the load.. makes tea in the middle of the night, feet rub, back run, gets the heating pad, a slew of OTC meds to help the nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, cravings. I feel terrible for him cause he gets tired too. All those symptoms take turns each month.. I don't know what I'm going to get. And if by any chance I end up not feeling fatigue one month then I know my period cramps are going to have me crawling to bed.

Forget how I look during this time. I don't think I'm bad looking but oh boy, I tell my husband I look like the joker' s cousin. Hair all over the place, face swollen, 10lbs of water, fat, bloating, ties look like pigs in a blanket. Lol its almost comical.

But I'm only 31! I'm interested in this HEY. But how can i get my doctor to take me seriously. Anyone know good doctor in the NC area? I'm willing to travel. I don't want to be like this if something can help. Once in a while my hubby will look and me and say you look like the girl I married. We grew up together. We both laugh and hug. It only last for a few days and the storm begins again. Back to Tea at 5am in the morning and sleepless nights.

So any help please would be great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.