Debilitating fatigue and lack of motivation before cycle

Posted , 25 users are following.

Is anyone here struggling with severe fatigue and zero motivation to do anything before ;your cycle? I am due for my cycle in about a week and I am dealing with crippling fatigue, and absolutely no desire to do anything. I have a ton of housework, laundry and things to be done but I can't even think straight, I am so tired. This is not like me at all. I am a neat freak about my house and I could care less that dishes need to be done, and laundry needs folding. 

I felt good the past few days and thought I was getting back to being somewhat human and myself, then this peri starts rearing its ugly head. Its almost as if I only get a few decent days a month. 

Is anybody battling the fatigue and lack of motivation like this? 

2 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just found this site and I need to say THANK YOU ALL for sharing. My heart....I could have written all of these posts! I am 50 and have known I was in peri for the past couple of years. I became very ill with Hashimotos and I think it was triggered by this version of hell, Peri.

Even tho I knew, doctors have been no help and every woman I know personally has never went through it as bad as I have it and ya 'll are having it. So it made me wonder what was else was wrong with me.

Between the Hashimotos, celiac disease, chronic anemia (which is probably from my celiac as I was just diagnosed with the celiac and my gut needs time to heal) vit d deficient and the fluctuation of these hormones....I really didnt know what was causing what. Its been maddening.

I too have all the symptoms ya 'll have shared. I'm so tired of not having my life. I have one good week...feel alive, laugh, joke, have energy and buzz around feeling human. Its such a blessing an happy time. But then its all gone for 3 weeks. Just gone!

I feel lazy and like a failure. I'm only 50 I should still be working and taking my dog on great adventures. THANK GOD my children are grown. I dont know how you mommas still raising do it!!😖 you are amazing WARRIORS??????.

I can not take hormone replacement due to cancer in family. But I'm going to try adding the b12. I already take D3, C, Magnesium, Iron, calcium and a thyroid med.

I'm sorry I have no tips for anyone....but I just wanted to say thank you oh so much for Shari g detailed testimonials. It has helped a huge amount!!!

As far as adding a couple symptoms my hair is thinning way too much, I itch and I think that's around my cycle. I'm eating everything but the house and have gained nearly 15 pounds in a few months!!!!! Its almost all in my stomach. Constipation is insane. A week and a half at times with no movement.

Has anyone ever noticed that their eyes look kind of funny around their cycle? They look sick and look smaller. I k ow that sounds crazy. But for my good week they look amazing and healthy.

• Posted

I have noticed something with my eyes! I hadn’t related it to my hormones, just thought I was looking a bit ruff, which also makes you feel worse 🙄 I’ll have to start paying closer attention! 

• Posted

I know this thread is a bit old, but I’ve seen that ladies still read it and post occasionally. I’m only 38 and am just starting to realize what’s happening to me, although I’ve been dealing with it for several years now. I have absolutely debilitating fatigue, and get so lethargic it’s like I’ve been drugged. I try to tell myself I need to get up and move, do SOMETHING, but I just can’t. Every time I see a dr. they try to throw antidepressants at me, which may work for some ppl, but it just makes me feel like a zombie. One dr. told me I just needed exercise and to eat healthy (I eat very healthy all the time and work manual labor for a living) I’ve tried  to do research and help myself, but there is so little information out there which is sad because so many women are suffering. I finally said no more antidepressants. About a year ago, with the brain fog, anxiety, and other symptoms I was able to get my dr. to put me on a stimulant, ADHD medication which has help tremendously! I’ve had my brain and energy back. However, after a year of being on it, I can feel a tolerance starting to build up and my old symptoms are starting to coming back, I guess that’s how I discovered this site. I’m trying to figure out something to help the situation while my brain is still operational. There’s a bit of hope knowing that this isn’t permanent, just sucks knowing it could last for so many years. 
  • Posted

This is really a reply to all, as I can relate to every story I’ve read here. This peri menopause is a beast that rears it’s head in so many ways. The worst part is how so many symptoms fall into other categories like allergies and depression. I too experience itching all over, especially at night. It often keeps me up until I chug Benadryl and knock myself out, but then there’s the awful Benadryl hangover. I’m on every supplement imaginable and take antidepressants. Not sure any of it makes a significant difference. Viscous cycle. I’m 42 and my hair has thinned so much I can pin it up w a small child’s bobby pin. I’ve had BHRT docs give me so much hope that progesterone and testosterone cream and pills would work, only to find I’ve spent years trying to get the “dosage right.” Recently had another doc tell me that during peri, hormone levels fluctuate so much that it’s like chasing a ghost to even get blood tests. The worst is the guilt you feel bc you know you should exercise but you’re too damn tired and beat down to do it. My house looks like a different persons, not mine. I struggle to get laundry done and clean bathrooms until once a month there’s a small beacon of hope and I feel like me again. I have maybe 5 days a month where I’m a machine and can do so much. I struggle with neck stiffness and pain too. Often leads to a headache. I’m no longer sure what the answer is. Every time I get a blood test I’m estrogen dominant, but biodentical hormones haven’t done the trick.  I’d settle for being at 50% of what I was before this health nightmare began. 
    • Posted

Your story sounds so similar to mine. Bio identical progesterone did nothing to help me. Tried it twice, different doses and I ended up over medicated. I'm now 50 and this Peri has me completely laid out of the couch. Depressed, exhausted, craving chocolate, guilt, and crying for this to end. It doesn't help that I have a preschooler that needs constant attention. When I read these posts it makes me feel less crazy. I just don't know what to do.

• Posted

There has to be some relief. Progesterone made me really sleepy and had heart palpitations and testosterone, even in small amounts, made me feel like I had pms and wanted to cry. Yes, I have kids too- which only adds tremendously to the guilt of feeling like I’m  half a mom or that I’m missing out on so much. That makes me even sadder.  I sincerely hope you find relief soon. I agree this page validates what I’m feeling and lessens the thoughts that I’m crazy and this is in my head. 
  • Posted

Yes. Mostly for me its lack of motivation. I work from home and I am naturally self motivated type A personality. ..I sell antique diamond rings and I LOVE my job...normally. 

When I am not motivated to do my job its usually part of what I would describe as mild depression ... before a period and can occur anytime two weeks leading up to it. Sadly my cycles are all over the place so I never know for sure where I am in any given cycle. This makes symptoms more frightening as its not until I have a show that I can make sense of how I have been feeling the last week or more. 

Its a feeling of sadness and lack of motivation and enjoyment in things I normally love to do that being my work. 

It comes and goes xxx

• Posted

Just a suggestion because I know we’re all a little desperate, my friend had to take take birth control for a different matter and it  coincidentally helped her hormonal symptoms quite a bit.
    • Posted

That’s a great suggestion. I thought about it bc I used to be on birth control pills but stopped after kids and tubes tied. I know I felt better on it than I ever have since. Worth a try!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.