Deciding to refuse cardiac catheterization.

Posted , 9 users are following.

After doing the best I can to ferret out the risks vs benefits of cardiac catheterization.  92% of my brain says, "No."  That niggling 8% is a real pain.

I am female.  I am over 60.  I have not had a myocardial infarction, (that they're telling me about anyway).  I have some stress wall hypertrophy, but that's pretty much it.  If I could get the physicians/cardiologists, to give me better evidence of need for such an invasive procedure, I might consider it...however...

I know me.  Just having the procedure would be psychologically, and, therefore, physically, ruinous.  I think I understand - but who can understand this really - that choosing not to have the catheterization, and whatever may happen as a result, means I might sign out quite unexpected.  But is this a better way to live?  I think so.

I have not felt "well" for at 7 years.  (I'll spare you the ailments).  However, I don't get colds, flu (no vaccinations)...I don't have hypertension.  I'm told I have angina, but I am convinced that the post-meal sensations I get are due to gastric/diaphragm...more on that order of things.  I don't have frank chest "pain."

I'm figuring that it will be a complete craps shoot to refuse the catheterization, but I am 100% certain, that there is a better chance of me surviving an invasive procedure if I don't die before I have it, then lending myself to what looks like a never-ending routine of invasive procedures.

What I'm currently hoping for, but have been unable to get, is a cardiologist who will agree to fully monitor me; one who truly understands the various medications available and who would find one that is best suited for this particular body, and who considers cardiac catheterization, et al, a last resort, rather than a first.  (Nice fantasy).

So far, I've had the general practitioner I see, attempt to scare the hell out of me without telling me on what evidence he was doing so.  (I would change to another GP if there was another one around).  That kind of tactic is not only useless, but demoralizing.  When it comes to "heart," demoralization can, without a doubt, lead to "heart trouble."

It's all a quandry.

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi.

​My heart goes out to you so to speak, it must be very frustrating for you, and 7 years is a very long time, i am not aware of what cardiac catherization entails so will be reading up on that, as i do have issues and confuse with all of the medical jargen espcially with my case

​good look and try to get some other consultant to look at you

• Posted

Thank you.  The medical jargon is worth studying.  On the other hand, despite what everyone says about patients being better informed, and participating in our own health care - when it comes down to it, using even the correct name for a body part seems to intimidate them. 

With so many electronic devices available now, it is really easy to record all visits with a physician.  (I don't own any such devices, but most people seem to).  Thank you for your good wishes, and I share good wishes with you.

• Posted

forgive me, i just read cardiac catherization and i have had that done

​and to be honest it should not cause you to much discomfort, as i had three stents fitted last year after a heart attack, there were a lot of niggles and to be honest one of my arteries is narrowing again. and i maybe heading for a bypass

but the cardiac catherization​ is not so bad and you are awake so and no pain with that, there is after effects with a pressure bracelet if they go through your wrist, cant comment on the groin, it really depends on your heart beat and where they can access the best

• Posted

Thank you.  I am sorry you had the heart attack.  I hope that the narrowing artery can be let be - if it is true that, yes, arteries narrow with age, and the body often compensates.  That's what I've read, anyway.  On the other hand.. there are five fingers.  All health to you.
  • Posted

I am a sixty plus woman with hypertrophic cardiomyapathy and take 25 mg of beta blocker which seems to control my symptoms pretty well of shortness of breath. They want me to go for tests and,then the talk is either the one where they remove the heart and scrape the plaque off and return the heart or the other invasive thing they do which is blasting the heart and then I am wondering where the plaque goes 

I have made an appt with my GP to go over the last tests and I want to know how much it has or is progressing. If it has not I will not even go to my appt in Toronto Hosp. There are things worse than death and I refuse to take the chance of being a handicapped person. 

• Posted

Hi Dianne

I agree with your decision. We have become a society that believes we have to rely on medical intervention. We have a 'duty of care' to ourselves and believe that we should all be allowed to take a bit of responsibility for our health cares instead of giving ourselves over 100% to the medical fraternity without being given a hard time about the treatment everyone else thinks is right for us. We have tests, receive a diagnosis and their recommendations and then the rest is up to us to decide the route we wish to take.

Take your beta blockers, eat nutritionally, and be happy. Chuck out of your life everything that doesnt sit well with you and enjoy it. Thats a really good prescription to my mind.Exercise a little (put your music on and jiggle around). Dont touch low-fat stuff (too much added sugar) eat food like eggs which are brilliant for us etc. Enjoy life. Thats my opinion.

• Posted

Well I am glad someone gets where I am coming from.  I had just had a battery of tests done in one hospital and now they want me to go to Toronto which is a HUGE stress on its own being a three hour drive in traffic and do the same tests over again. I said to the doc well why would that be and he said well they like their own tests. Yeah ok

I am 125 pounds, do not smoke, do not drink and I like your input about just enjoying my life. The cardiomyapathy does not do much to slow me down. I cannot climb mountains but that was not on my bucket list anyways   When the health care people speak they seem to say well you HAVE to do this and HAVe to do that but ultimately the decision is with me

There are worse ways to die that a heart attack and my other concern is IF they want to do surgery by removing the heart and scraping the plaque build up off it and then they put the heart back in - what about stroke etc

So I have an appt booked with my own local doc a week before I am supposed to be in Toronto and I have some questions for her

I sure want to know what progress there has been in my condition since they diagnosed it four years ago and the other Doc told me I slipped thru the cracks and something should have been done then but I was missed so makes me wonder that here I am almost five years later

I do the beta blocker faithfully as I know it is helping the heart beat a litle easier 

I am getting close to retirement and actually we have our business sold and this is the last sseason for us so I would like to see it through and sure dont want to be running back and forth to Toronto for teswts that have already been done so they know what the situation is

Just upsets me so much and as I say the drive to Toronto would probably put me over the edge even with someone else driving

So thank you kathy for your input and will see what the doc has to say on the 11th of May and that will help with my decision on the 20th trip

But honestly have to say would I do the surgery anyways? I am not so sure I would so why go thru all the tests ????

Sure a lot on my mind and thank you for responding

• Posted

It all sure ain't easy is it.  I know nothing of the procedures you describe.  I wonder if you are taking medication other than the beta blocker for the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.  In any event... may you be all well.
    • Posted

If only one didn't become frightened, or have pain.  But important to live whie living.  Jiggling is the best exercise.
  • Posted

Well it is a big question. No I am only taking Beta blocker and it seems to hold the,shortness of breath

i have already had the tests done in one hosp and now they want them done in another hosp

i am going to check with my doctor as to,how much progress there has been between 2012 when I was diagnosed and now and see,how fast it is progressing. I guess if it's progressing too quickly I have NO choice

• Posted

I hope you get sorted out , it's a real worried day after day and getting no where fast, I'm am also waiting tests , I do not even know what type of test as the consultants are simply writing to each other, it's been going on for 4 months and I was hoping to be back to work but I'm in a catch 22 situation with that, my artery LAD is narrowing again after Stent just before it

I think I'm heading for another in or a bypass but not so sure if I can have keyhole surgery or not , I believe it's the criteria has to be right for that

Well it's a year today since I had heart attack and the consultants words are still ringing in my ears

He said Leslie you have had a small heart attack but you are in good condition considering and a fit young man , I have put three stents in and there is no reason why you can't live a normal life so just push it to the back of your mind and don't let it take over your life , from day 1 to day 365

I felt no better been back in hospital 3 times =1 suspected heart attack 6 weeks later =2 re investigation angio gram 6 months apart

= 3 echocardiogram 3 months ago

I have explained my angina has changed getting worse and been using 6 times more GTN spray than they say is right dosage , I have been in again to re investigate erratic heart beat as they suspected AF

With low and high heart rates during the night only with a rate of =30 Low And worst case scenario during the night 155 in one occasion but mainly 42 to 68 , never heard anymore since last angiogram no mention about erratic heartbeat only the comments on doctor letter of revasculization

Sorry for rambling in so frustrated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.