Decision on op

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I have a number of fibroids and cysts - growing but all benign and have been recommended by my Consultant to have a total hysterectomy with ovaries out too.

Deciding whether to have the operation and whether to have ovaries out. The thought of being out of action and recoving for such a long time, with menopause seems a huge undertaking. Should I live with the symptoms and leave it?

I have had cancer in the past so its a big deal to have surgery but also a big deal physchologically to see my distended stomach everyday. 

Don't know what to do.

Anyone been in a similar position?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Sancho you don't say how old you are because obviously that would make a difference to my response to you. 
  • Posted

hi there sancho,

​i suppose its all according to how old you are and whether you have children or not, as you havnt said.

​im 49. Had all my children when i was younger, so it was a no brainer for me, i had cysts and a massive fibroid and suffered for years, but u can say now it was the best decision i made, i had my op abdominally and everything removed in january, i am now fighting fit, i was ok and felt normal after about 12 weeks, but everyone is different. As for menopause im not to bad, just night sweats really but not to bad. Other ladies may say different , but i do believe most feel the same.Any other questions dont hesitate to ask            

• Posted

Hi, Thank you for that. I am 48, not had children and not planning to. (Had issues conceiving in the past.) My large fibriod is around a small melon size and the Consultant said it isn't considered that large but will grow.

During that 12 weeks - did you do nothing - no work, no home work/house work - exercise? Or were you able to move around and do bits of things?

• Posted

I went back to work after six week also light house work from three week, driving from six but bear in mind I had it done vaginaly
    • Posted

hi i didnt do much the first 4 weeks apart from move around the house. No housework at all in that time and i didnt do any vacuuming for 6 weejs you have to give yourself chance to heal so you dont have complications later. After about 8 weeks i improved massively, but people are different and recover at different rates. It also depends on how fit you are before surgery and weather you are at a good weight
  • Posted

Hi, I was 48 last year when I had my hystorectomy I also had polyps I didn't have overies removed and I am in the change currently taking HRT that has helped, I had it done vaginal so the recovery was a lot better than a cut on your tummy, the operation isn't as bad as it used to be but you are still waight restricted.

Unfortunately for me I then had a prolaps and had to have further surgery.

has the doc give you some options on how it can be done?

you are very young and the polyps will grow love I know nothing about fibroids matron will help with that.

• Posted

He has said I can probably do it keyhole so a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. Aparently the ecovery is easier from that as the cuts are less invasive.

The thought of being at home for 4 - 6 weeks and not be able to do anything fills me with horror. 

• Posted

I would say you will get quality of life back.

i would think the way the surgery as been offered is better than a cut, matron will respond.

first two week I was tired but once you get the pain management right it is a lot better it took me three days to get a balance.

week three I felt a lot better and worked from my iPad week 4 much better, then 5/6 were formality to make sure I was right, if there is one peice of advice I would give you is do NOT lift anything heavy for 12 week and slowly build up the waight baring x

good luck

• Posted

Hi Sancho

I am now into my 11 week , I had a full hysterectomy robotically via abdomen. I came home after 2 days stayed in bed for about a week , did no house work but just pottered about at home , went to work after 6 weeks and back at gym this week not lifting weights though X I am cold turkey menopause , do suffer from night sweats though but a lot happier in myself , free of pain , I am also 48 X

Good luck

• Posted

Hi

i am 44 and had large painful fibroids. The periods never ended and were so heavy, I was always in the bathroom. I had a vaginal partial hysterectomy, they left my ovaries. Best decision I ever made. It is freedom!

• Posted

Hi Marketa,

Mine are shorter but are really heavy and painful - I can't really wear tampons anymore as they are painful and I bleed through them. 

Did the Consultant say why she/he wanted to leave the ovaries?

What was your recovery time? Do you work? If so, how long were you off?

• Posted

I was off 6weeks. But really 4 would have been enough. I kept my ovaries so I wouldnt go into menapause over night. My surgeon told me my symptoms that I found so difficult to live with were just the beginning and it would have gotten s lot worse. So glad I did it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.