Decision on op

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I have a number of fibroids and cysts - growing but all benign and have been recommended by my Consultant to have a total hysterectomy with ovaries out too.

Deciding whether to have the operation and whether to have ovaries out. The thought of being out of action and recoving for such a long time, with menopause seems a huge undertaking. Should I live with the symptoms and leave it?

I have had cancer in the past so its a big deal to have surgery but also a big deal physchologically to see my distended stomach everyday. 

Don't know what to do.

Anyone been in a similar position?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

For some years now gynaecologists have been keen to remove the ovaries of women approaching menopause age to prevent any risk of ovarian cancer (this is in the UK I can't speak for other countries) which is hard to detect and diagnose. Often by the time it has been diagnosed there is evidence of secondaries. There is something else to consider if you have a total hysterectomy (removal of uterus and cervix) as apposed to a partial hysterectomy where the cervix is left in place but I will send you a personal message regarding that. Sometimes gynaecologists leave a small piece of ovarian tissue which can still produce hormones so you don't immediately suffer menopausal symptoms however this may not give long lasting relief.
    • Posted

Hi Matron,

Yes, it was the risk of Ovarian Cancer that he has mentioned. 

Looking at my notes he has not concluded if the Cervix should come out or not. I will ask. Def Uterus and Ovaries as mentioned. 

Will await your personal message.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi, I'm curious how you know the cyst is benign. They thought mine was benign until they did a biopsy and found it wasn't...the hysterectomy is not so bad. If you have an a abdominal cut and everything removed you will be very uncomfortable for the first five days or so. Slowly you get your life back. Just take it easy. After mine I could swim in 6 weeks and I am in my 60' s. My second surgery was a check for additional cancer in the lymph nodes. They were clear but I would think long and hard as the side effects of lymph surgery really knocked me down and almost out. I wish I hadn't. I felt OK after the hysterectomy. Now, 8 weeks after my staging, I'm still physically debilitated. But it will get better. Mind over matter, determination, will, attitude are all very important. Time to heal and acceptance are your best friends.
    • Posted

HI,

Thank you for your comments.

I have had a range of scans and the positioning and the blood flow etc do not show anything to worry about - hence the comment about it being benign. 

Dorry to hear that your lymph surgery has knocked you for 6. I hope you start to feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi. I had mine taken at age 39. Ovaries, cervix and womb. It was a year ago this week. I was unable to do much for 2 weeks but little bits more each day and back at work at 6 weeks. Was best thing I did and I am on hrt which ok is a bit of a pain but not really and stops symptoms of menopause. So far I'm very positive about the whole thing... saying that I struggled making the decision and worried an lot before hand but thay is natural too. Good luck with your decision
    • Posted

Thanks. Goof to hear that the HRT is working well for you. 
  • Posted

Hi There!  I did not have fibroids, but did have cyst and an unexplained history of chronic pelvic  I was told I had adenomyosis and that having a hysterectomy would give me back my life.  I thought I had done my homework and knew what to expect. Sadly the hysterectomy has destroyed my life.  I did not have adenomysosis and am actually in worse pain since the surgery.  I have dealt with numbness, sexual dysfunction, bladder issues,and now severe adhesions throughout my pelvic area all from the surgery.  My ovaries are adhered to my bowels and surgical cuff which causes pain and then when they are cysting the pain is worse. I am now facing a second surgery.

I don't tell you these things to talk you out of the surgery.  It might be your best bet of being rif of your pain, but please do not take it as a cure all.  Some women come out fine, but there are hundreds, thousands of women who do not. Women seeking hysterectomy are not told of all the possibilties and it is very played up that everything turns out just fine.  This is not true. In my opinion unless it is cancer related I will not ever let a family member or friend go through with this surgery.  I am not kidding when I say it has destroyed my life.  I am not able to function even close to what I could physically before the surgery, let alone the financial, emotional, and family toll it has taken.  Please seek expert counsel, do your online research, ask questions just like you are here, pray, meditate, whatever it might be.  Be prepared for the best, but know there are two sides.

Best wishes to you and happy health!

• Posted

Hello

Really sorry you are still suffering, I guess we're all different so react differently too X I wish you better and hope you find peace

Take care

• Posted

What you describe Onthespot has not helped you but I would definitely dispute you figures of hundreds and thousands of women being affected by this surgery. I don't know where you live ie which country but the figures you talk about do not relate to the UK and since I read your post I have checked that with gynaecologists and some Urogynaecologists I know. Having worked in gynae I know of the positive, life changing outcomes following this surgery.
    • Posted

I saw you posted on another one of my replies as well.  I didn't believe it either until I started looking into my sympotms and issues following surgery, symptoms that were not present prior to surgery.  I though I had done my homework in research, asking questions, visiting with other women who had had this same procedure.  Yes, most had a good outcome so far in that research, but what I found when specifcally looking afterwards was heartbreaking,  Women still in pain, misdiagnosed, nerve damage, not feeling like a woman, emotional distress, horomone issues, sexual dysfunctions, adhesions, etc.  I could go on, but I don't think you would want to hear or believe.

I do not wish what we some of us women are going through on anyone, honestly, I am very happy for those who get their life back or have a better one.  Please respect though that some of us, more than you realize, are left in worst shape.  Perhaps our bodies didn't respond well, we were misdiagnosed, or in my case told" you will feel like a brand new woman".  Well I am a brand new woman and not in a good way.

We do not have the same type of healthcare here apparently.  Sounds like I should have visited your home.

Hoping all get well who need comfort.

• Posted

I do respect some women have problems but they also need to look at the gynaecologists who have performed the surgery. I don't know whether you are in the UK or not but the failure rate here is extremely low and I want to reassure women that it's rare in my country to have problems. Anyone who does it is rectified where possible because gynaecology and urogynaecology surgery in particular is closely monitored. Your claim that thousands of women have problems is exaggerated.
    • Posted

I'm from Beautiful Hawaii 😎

My OB/GYN is a great man who's also my General practitioner since 1988.

If I didn't mention in my original post it was a successful vaginal hysterectomy.

Don't get me wrong, I was freaked out of my mind!

My trust, faith, and prayer before entering the OR with my doctor helped me to let it go.

• Posted

I I don't think I've responded to you but if I have apologies. If you read what I do on my account you'll understand that I know exactly what I'm talking about dear.
    • Posted

I'm not questioning your "input" honey. Just jotting dowewn MY PERSONAL experience. nothing more.

• Posted

And your experience is extremely rare in fact so rare it would be unusual for another woman to have the same experience honey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.