Decision on op

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I have a number of fibroids and cysts - growing but all benign and have been recommended by my Consultant to have a total hysterectomy with ovaries out too.

Deciding whether to have the operation and whether to have ovaries out. The thought of being out of action and recoving for such a long time, with menopause seems a huge undertaking. Should I live with the symptoms and leave it?

I have had cancer in the past so its a big deal to have surgery but also a big deal physchologically to see my distended stomach everyday. 

Don't know what to do.

Anyone been in a similar position?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I was in your shoes 2 weks ago. 

I had the surgery, total hysterectomy removing cervix, uterus, tubes and leaving ovaries in place. In addition my OB tightened my bladder.

Diagnosis: anemia, enlarged uterus, frequent urination, 10cm fibroid and pelvic & lower back pressure. 

I was fearing so many things: inactive work status, recovery time, fear of removing uterus that would make me less of a women, menopause, lack of sex drive.

Recovery is good and steady. No regrets with my decision!

Surgery date 5/18/16, disharge from hospital 5/19/16, off all meds 4 days after surgery, no spotting or bleeding, up and about paying attention to body, when to stop and when to push.

I'm 48 years old with 4 children and 3 grand children. Active in construction and labor, which I believe played a big part in my recovery. I believe my physically active lifestyle prepared my body to recover at a good pace.

Again, NO regrets! This is a decision only you know will be the right one. Mine was based on my health, keeping my lifestyle, and being a strong role model for my family. 

I don't know if this helps you but tap in and we can chat further if you want.

WE are all made different but still unite as one

• Posted

Thank you for your comments. It seems such a serious operation if I can manage the symptons, but by the same token it seems silly to keep on managing when it coule be sorted out...
    • Posted

Sancho this surgery is no longer considered as serious or in medical terms it's not major surgery unlike pelvic floor prolapse surgery for instance. It's more commonly performed laparoscopically which means you don't have a large abdominal scar or vaginally. Your decision is what bits to leave behind and only you can do that.
    • Posted

Hi matron you have never said a truer word the hystorectomy recovery was far easier than this A&P.

i have been so emotinol after this operation it s unbaliverbel, now starting to feel a little better at six week, it is a long recovery

• Posted

Thank you Gillian. As you have experienced both you absolutely understand. Pelvic floor repair is traumatic at times because of the pain and the long recovery time x
    • Posted

Well wishes and prayers your way.

Signing out and gonna hit the waves here in beautifual Hawaii. 

Aloha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.