dee61180

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

i had been on antidepressant meds for many many years, the last one being Prozac. on 15th Feb a psychiatrist stopped 20mg of Prozac and immediately started me on 15mg Mirtazapine . Took for 20 days. During this time my dear brother died. I hit the bottle to try and cope with my loss and I stopped the Mirtazapine at the same time worried about taking alcohol with these. I didnt go back on Mirtazapine at all. I have been without meds for around 3 months and I am experiencing very unpleasant withdrawal. I stopped the Mirtazapine cold turkey. Although I was only on Mirt for 20 days would one expect such withdrawal.

Any comment or view would be so appreciated. I FEEL SO ISOLATED. THANK YOU?

dee61180

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am so very sorry for your loss. It seems unlikely that your withdrawal is from Mirtazapine because you were at a low dose for such a short time, and more likely that your symptoms are from other events (the grief of your brothers death, withdrawal from Prozac, coping using alcohol consumption, etc.). It may be a good time to talk with a professional and develop a plan to heal from all of it, which may or may not include an anti-depressant. If you can make progress without prescription drugs, that would be ideal. However, sometimes those drugs are needed to pull us back up to the surface so that we can learn to swim again.

• Posted

rubbish! i had terrible withdrawal after 8 days! everyone is different!

• Posted

tend to agree with you, as you have to look at the whole picture, not the latest event in isolation. someone on an anti depressant for a period of time (for a reason), switches to a new one for a few weeks, presumably as a result of a worsening condition, then stops anti depressants all together and goes through a bad time. theres no period of recovery, to allow the person to deal with/come to terms and manage the issues, that led to them being prescribed meds in the first instance. sorry, if this sounds cold hearted. its unlikely the withdrawal is from the mirt itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.