Definite Cure for Blepharitis

Posted , 21 users are following.

I am a long term sufferer of blepharitis and dry eye syndrome, recently while researching for treatment updates I stumble across a post by lynda79. The same post is on a few forums and she has figured out that a product called "wet ones" that contain an ingredient Benzethonium Chloride are a cure for blepharitis are a cure. Simple as that, it only takes 3.5 months of use as mentioned by other posters.

So as I am looking at the posts and checking out the profiles of the people who are making these statements about the mericle cure such as eileen64 UK, jenny_74 and the aptly titled Honjon..... I had a good think about things and today as I was going in to Sainsburys (A shopping centre) in the UK, I noticed a big advertised container on the way in offering free "wet ones" wipes.. Now I am no albert einstien or warren buffett and I dont like making predictions but I am a natural sceptic and my bull**** dector has all ways been quite good. I smell bull**** in the worst of a way and if you people just look at the comments these people are making and the replies and name dropping in thier posts you will sense something odd too.

I think we are dealing with a bunch of company promoting charlatans and i for one am not prepaired to put that stuff near my eyelids

0 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I totally agree with you.  This product is not for the eyes and so many of these people on this forum have had to stop using it because it is so drying to the lids.  This product should not be used, and shame on the ones who are promoting it if it is in fact - being used for advertising.  What a terrible thing to do to Blephritis sufferers.

We suffer enough with this chronic disease and need to get good info through this forum. 

• Posted

When I found out I had blepharitis, I searched the Internet just like you looking for info on this annoying condition.  I can't afford expensive drops or ointments that the doctor wanted to perscribe and really I didn't know what the long term effects would be for those either.  When I found info on the wet wipes I also was skeptical.  I tried them out of desperation because I couldn't stand it anymore and I'm happy I did.  my last eye Drs appt proved to me that wet ones work.  No more blepharitis he said GONE. I told him about using wet ones.  I thought he would yell at me and say I was crazy but instead he said YES wet ones they work but not for everybody because they don't get down deep into the lash line. But they worked for me  And my eyes are fine no ill effects from using them.  You can click my name and see all my posts. I'm happy I found Linda and the other wet one users because blepharitis is horrible and now I can wear makeup again. 
  • Posted

Jake I agree.  I think though that Linda is talking about Wet Ones that are available in the US, which are slightly different.  However, the UK Wet Ones, tell you to keep them away from your eyes.

I can't use Hypromellose, I am allergic to them.  I used Liquifilm for years, until a few months ago, when  a new Registrar told me they are 'old fashioned'!  He prescribed Hyabak drops, which are preservative free and I too, use loads of them.  He also changed my Lacrilube that I was using at night, to VitA-POS.

Do you use a hot compress on your eyes too?

• Posted

Maybe you are right Mrsmop, It could be a genuine case and I don't like painting a doom and gloom picture on something that could possibly work for some people, but I as a long-term sufferer of blepharitis and dry eye syndrome (who has tried every product under the sun and read every forum) likes to question a claim that I  believe to be untrue.

I hold claims about a "total cure" with the height of suspicion, especially when the claimant and associated uses every chance to name the product and its benefits while ignoring the potential downside, I mean, if everyone just jumps on the words of someone who claims to have a cure do you not think its possible for large companies to see a vested interest in manuplitating the gullable. Please go back and read through the forum posts if you want to decide for yourself.

Saying all that, I have an interest in eyelid conditions, so much so that I recently started a company in the UK with an interest in this field also. I'm not afraid to admit it and we make our own eyelid warm compresses. Cure? - unfortunately not but an effective method to treat the condition and bring relief. One that I am not afraid to say I use also.

You wont find me on here bragging about a product or naming my product either. I am a blepharitis, dry eye syndrome sufferer first and I don't like to see people being taken advantage of as I have been conned for 10 years by so many ridiculous products, 90% of don't work. My main concern is that this all turns out to be a cheap publicity stunt!

• Posted

As ever, I agree!  And, there are different types of blepharitis and some years ago, when I went to the eye clinic, the nurses were telling me one thing and the doctors another, so I asked to see the Consultant, who explained minutely, how I should deal with my blepharitis and I seldom have a problem these days but, as you and I know, there is no cure, we just keep on top of it.

One thing that my Consultant did say, was to keep all creams etc away from my eyes, so no face creams, eye creams or make up.  He is right, of course.

• Posted

Ah Ha.....now your posts are explained.  You have a company that

is making a product for our misery!!!  You don't have to name it

for it to be made available for sale......Playtex doesn't need

to participate in "cheap publicity stunts"    GEEEZZZZZ

• Posted

Funny how you would jump to the rescue for playtex, wet ones.

Any more promotional BS ???

• Posted

I'm a y78 yo great grandma....I'm not jumping to anything.

Just trying to keep things fair. And actually I'm not funny over

anything to do with the bleph I was diagnosed with over 25 years ago

If you have a product tha twill help us bleph sufferes .....please let us

k now and we'll be happy to try it.....we're desperate.  For your info

I don't own any Platex stock

• Posted

faye, I tried the wet ones, and suffered no ill effects. It almost completely cured the blef, but i had to stop using them because of the accident with my right eye. I will probably use them again after I check out my eye next week. It's nice to know that this condition isn't permanent, there is help. Wish you the best,smile Dena
    • Posted

Faye I'm not here to promote any products and apologies to you or anyone who finds my comments unhelpful.

Providing you or they are a genuine sufferer of eyelid conditions whatever they may be.

I will however name products that I think are a complete waste of time and money, let's start with Spectrum Thea Blephasteam goggles. In my personal opinion, they are about as effective as putting your hands over your eyes for 10 minutes..

I encourage everyone to name and shame the most useless money rackets out there for the good of blepharitis sufferers.

• Posted

Hi Mrs Mop,

Do you also use a hot compress? I'm a mild suffered and trying to work out the best defence for me. I think you mentioned in another thread about a flannel dsoaked in hot water and a few drops of mild hand sanitiser? Could you substitute baby shampoo for the sanitiser?

Mark

• Posted

Hi Mark, I have only just seen your post, sorry.  The doctors usually say baby shampoo.  I use handwash only because I am allergic to chemicals in the baby shampoo.  I don't always use anything other than a hot flannel, which works just as well.

• Posted

I think it's interesting to note that my general doctor and ophtamologist prescribed to me a Tobradex ointment and eye drops that have the SAME active ingredient of Benzethonium Chloride in it, though in a much less concentration.  I'm pretty sure it was this ointment that saved me and is the only med I am still using - I can put it on at night and wake up with zero to little swelling or itch.

I did try the Wet Ones at first and was skeptical about them as well, but was willing to try anything when mine got really, really bad.   I asked my opthamologist about them and he said it would be fine to try, so I did. I'm not sure if it was the Wet Ones, the Tobradex, or any other combo of meds/methods that helped, though.

I live in the US, we have Wet Ones marketed and in stock everywhere, in almost every store, free at the doors of stores, and to purchase.  They are a household name. They are usually found in the baby aisles as many moms use them as antibacterial wipes in their diaper bags, cars, picnic baskets, etc...

Point is - it is such a large company that I doubt this is any type of promotion, unless the Wet ones in the UK are a completely different company than the US one.  

Just my thoughts...

• Posted

The ingredients appear to be different in the UK, from the US.  European legislation is different from the US

Benzethonium Chloride is a preservative used in a lot of ocular products.  I am allergic to it.

My Eye Clinic uses preservative free products to minimise additional problems.

And yes, large companies, look at Proctor & Gamble, for example, have to produce different varients for different countries.

I live in the UK

• Posted

I had an awful flare a while back.   My eye doc prescribed

Tobradex for me also....problem is he said I couldn't use

it over 7 days because it could cause glaucoma.   It only

helped briefly when my husband put them in my eyes.

Your doc mention glaucoma?

• Posted

Ashton, what is the parent name of the company who make the wipes?

The advertisement industry is incredibly diverse and complexed these days, companies with shareholders will stop at nothing to increase value for thier shareholders and increase the bottom line, especially big ones! Did anyone hear of GSK and bribing in china over the last few years? 

Indirect advertising is not uncommon these days and there is no difference between paying college educated highly trained people to suttely brag about a product or pay for search term advertisements through facebook etc.

Did you ever see how the health insurance companies in the US operate?. I am afraid to say any more incase they come looking for me and take me out lol....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.