Dementia fears! Need reassurance.

Posted , 10 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I hope you are all feeling ok today. My anxiety has reached new limits today and I'm in a tunnel of fears.

I'm 50 with irregular periods and many other peri symptoms for last few years including depression, anxiety, sleep disturbance (insomnia, sweats, nightmares, numbness, waking with a fright thinking there are noises when there aren't!), IBS, fatigue, dizziness, brain fog, mood swings. The mood swings have got worse the last few weeks - frequent crying, agitation, rage. I don't know whether I'm coming or going and neither do my family!

I've worried about dementia before but today I read about Lewy Body Dementia (LBD), apparently Robin Williams had it, and so many of my symptoms above can be early signs. I felt sick with fear when I read it. It doesn't help that the fatigue, dizziness and brain fog is really bad today. I'm just convincing myself that all these peri symptoms are adding up to something more serious. I'm sorry but I can't stop ruminating in anxiety and even that I'm interpreting as a sign of dementia or seriious mental disorder because I just can't seem to control my anxiety and emotions right now. Any words of wisdom or comfort would be greatly appreciated.

Thank goodness we all have each other to turn to, love and hugs to every one of you on this journey.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi ruthie, ah bless you i was feeling the same as you and very same symptoms  yesturday  , i read on this site that a lady had very same meno problems and took magnesium and starflower oil and after not  to long she felt a lot better , i went out today and got magnesium i already use starflower oil so took first thing this morning , now this evening i feel slightly calmer lets see what the next few days bring, why dont you try this if you havent already ,please stay in touch would love to know how you are doing take care

karen x

• Posted

Thanks Karen, I haven't taken magnesium for a while so I think I will try it again. I just don't feel myself a lot of the time and feel so unsure of myself. The anxiety just takes on a life of its own.
  • Posted

Ruthie, I had all these symptoms and stuck it out for as long as I could......but I've now given in and gone on evorel conti HRT patches. I'm 9 weeks in and although last week my consultant wanted to change my patches to evorel sequi (where I would get a bleed every 4 weeks) I'm glad to say I think things are finally settling down. Anxiety attacks were my worst symptom, especially around 4am - 6am, but this morning I woke once at 5am, bathroom break, and then woke again at 8.25am! Only thing I've done different since last Friday is that I've started taking a 10mg amitriptyline tablet at night as I also suffer from fribromyalgia. And, I've also only drunk decafinated tea and coffee up until 5pm and then lemon and ginger tea after that time. Not sure whether it's just coincidence, but I definitel y feel a bit better.

I was adamant at start of menopause that I wouldn't take HRT.....but I've felt like I'm going insane for last two months and wouldn't wish the feelings on my worst enemy. That'll teach me! 

I also google my symptoms......and when you feel as poorly and as strange as we do you can often convince yourself you've got every ailment under the sun!  Only thing I was definite I hadn't got was being pregnant.......thank god! Take care. 

• Posted

I'm definitely not pregnant either Pam! I used to have a high sex drive but not anymore sad

That's interesting about the amitriptyline - I've been on a low dose for the last two weekS for IBS and chronic abdo and back pain. It's made me groggy and I think it's made the dreams worse but I'm sticking with it. Has it helped you?

Do you still get a bleed with your HRT patches? I would try HRT if I thought it would help but I think I'm scared it might make me feel worse as I hear mixed reviews.

• Posted

Don't currently get a bleed with my evorel conti patches, but if I change to evorel sequi I'll get a bleed every four weeks. But my last normal period was June 2014.......so I'm non too keen on starting with a monthly again.HRT has definitely helped me but it's each to their own. Amitriptyline is helping too! 

Sex drive........at this rate I'm going to be a born again virgin lol!

• Posted

I hope you feel better soon Ruthie. Maybe your doc. can prescribe you some anti anxiety meds. to help you. I don't think I have Luey dimentia but it sounds really scary.
  • Posted

Hi, I went through exactly all the things you talk about, including a huge fear of dementia earlier this year.  I was in perimenopause, and now I've been menopausal proper since early Spring, and about mid-summer, my symptons, which had been so appalling I was admitted to a mental health unit twice - mainly because I was suicidal because of the panic and anxiety - suddenly the symptoms just went away.

I have a history of depression anyway, and still suffer from this, but not as badly as before.  I do feel I'm past the worst.  Honestlly - what you are feeling is most likely down to very significant hormonal changes, which will settle down soon.

• Posted

Thank you Ruthie. That's very comforting to hear. I'm hanging in there. Taking my B12 & D vitamins. So think it helps a lot with the dizziness and fatigue. Also taking probiotics to help with my digestive issues. Seems to help s bit too. Exercising and eating a little healthier too. I only go to the gym once a week though cause I need to keep up my strength and try to build up my muscles. It's hard though. I feel so less energetic st the gym than I used to. For awhile I thought I had MS or something like that too. I guess I don't though.

Anyway thanks for your encouraging words. Hoping to get through all this crap soon. Although I think its only 2 years I've been in the peri phase, and this year was the worst ever.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your story and encouragement Ursula. It sounds like you have really been through it, especially with the anxiety and depression. What great news that it has disappeared. Did you use HRT or antidepressants? Or did it just settle on its own? So pleased you are feeling better.
    • Posted

Hi Ursulauc62

yiu have just made me feel so much better, my anxiety as been through the roof today, like Ruthie I google and I know it's the worst thing in the world to do, because all it's doing is feeding the anxiety, but when you start with all the problems it's hard not to. 

Bit it's fantastic to hear that you have got better, it really as given me hope that this will not last forever, I have only been in peri about 18 months,so I know I've along way to go, it just perked me right up. thank you 😄😄😄

• Posted

Hi Ruthie,

I was on HRT for a while, but was still getting the anxiety with it. I stopped it after a few months, because I was putting on weight and getting alot of acne, which can happen with HRT.  I do take anti-depressants, which I started again in the Spring, - fluoxetine/prozac, 40mg a day. I also take vitamin B12, magnesium, vitamin D and calcium, folic acid and Omega 3 fish oil tablets, and eat very healthily - which can be really boring at times, but I think it does help. I get hardly any hot flushes, which I'm quite suprised but very pleased about. I was getting them for the first half of this year quite badly.  I dont drink alcohol, which I know is also boring, but I have had a drink problem, and I think it also minimises menopause symptoms not to drink.

• Posted

Hi, thanks - I'm glad to help. I really wish I had come across this forum myself earlier this year, as I think it might have helped me to know alot of us go through the same things!
    • Posted

Thanks Ursula. I take supplements and alcohol free too. No HRT. You have given me hope, thank you 😊
    • Posted

We are not alone.. The anxiety is so depleting and it's a daily chore to soldier on!
    • Posted

I've been on probiotic for my acid reflux as well, never had any digestive issues before.  Oh I hate this.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.