Dental work

Posted , 10 users are following.

Good morning,

I am going on 6 months from my TKR. I had a crown break and the dentist said he has to pull the teeth because it cannot be saved. I am scared to have it pulled because my knee is not completely healed. The dentist said I will be okay as long as I take the antibiotics. Had anyone else had to have dental work before their knee or knees healed?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lynn

I had dental work done 4 weeks after my TKR i had a tooth broke i had a injection in my gum and i didn't have any antibiotics

my dentist told me they weren't necessary

in the last six months i have had two more removed and i have been fine

a little more gummy but fine lol.

• Posted

Thanks Johnny, you all have put me somewhat at ease.  I am scared of the dentist anyway.😃😃

• Posted

Hi Lynn -- I had dental work 4 months after my TKR. I had to take ant-biotics prescribed by my dentist. Everything was fine. So as long as you talk to your dentist before and informed him/her about your TKR you will be fine.  Many dentists prescribed the antibiotics just to be on the safe side. I rather take then than not to.  Good luck. J-21370
  • Posted

My surgeon says - any dental work, any infection in your body, any cat scratches - get on the antibiotics for the rest of  my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.