Dentist dread

Posted , 8 users are following.

Here we go the dreaded day is almost here - I've had toothache on and off for months and finally plucked up courage to make an appointment a few weeks ago, felt sick and dizzy as dentist told me one needs to come out ( big back one) and two deep fillings needed. Having had horrible experiences in the past with teeth pulled out with not enough anaesthetic and totally freaking out with panic attack from previous dentist put me off for life - but I can't avoid this now as toothache almost all the time and can't keep taking painkillers, so can't keep making excuses to cancel appointments, so am booked in tomorrow. Absoloutley totally terrified of the pain just the thought of going makes my heart thump and feel fight or flight mode kicking in already - anyone got any advice on how to get through this please, can't go on much longer in pain but scared at same time, someone please tell me it will be ok, thanks x

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ohhh you poor thing, but we both know it will be absolutely ok.  I hadn't been to the dentist in about 5 years and went a few months ago and was amazed how painlesss it was, things have came a long, long way.  Breathe deeply and focus on anything but your teeth.  Good luck!!
    • Posted

oh wow, did you really feel nothing ? I was thinking of everything to get through it, one of my daughters suggested downloading some music to my phone and taking my headphones with me, but I'm already making excuses for that in my head thinking it won't be loud enough to drown out the drilling and I will still feel the vibration, and if I go through with the extraction I'm already making excuses for myself in case it won't stop bleeding and then mad panic, this is just so stupid - don't know what I'm gonna do, my daughters both go regularly with no probs so what's wrong with me, maybe as you get older fear increases especially after a bad time x thanks for advise x
  • Posted

Hey

Ask yourself what your worried about going to the dentist, is it the pain? If so you should feel much as they will numb that area and I'm sure uv already been in a huge amount of pain with your tooth so what's the difference, once it's done you can stop worrying about it and move on with your life. I had a c section a few months ago (was wide awake) and never felt a thing, it's amazing pain control nowadays.

Good luck you will be fine

• Posted

Thanks, I know you're right really - I had a wide awake c section aswell a long time ago and never felt a thing but that was when I was young!!! But I had an evil dentist that took two teeth out without giving me enough anaesthetic despite my screaming at him, he lost his patience with me and the nurse held me down, ( evil cow ! ) so vivid memories. Also my mother had her jaw broken years ago by another butcher and the memories of that are horrific. I don't really want to go down the route of having it done in hospital because I have a fear of them aswell due to recent surgery, Uugghh its a vicious circle and I.m quite pathetic !
  • Posted

I'm horribly dentist phobic,miso big (((hugs))) to you. My GP suggested diazepam an hour before my appointment. You will get through this. I promise.x
    • Posted

Miso??? That should be so.
    • Posted

Yes never thought of that - but I have to drive there and back nobody to take me so I can't do that, do you know what I'm already trying to think of any excuse no to go there, tempted to cancel again from fear of acting like a total freak and making a fool of myself AGAIN ! - oh for gods sake I just wish I had a full set of implants so that I would never have to go again, I would rather have a baby and that's saying something, my first was 10 lbs ! I would honestly rather do that again that go through this, pathetic I know x
  • Posted

Hi Lou, I understand your fears as I have felt this same way too, and although most dentists are more compassionate these days I still have things I do to help assure the best experience. I start by looking at their reviews through a dental search, and will look for those who are described as compassionate, and other positive attributes. I also tend to look for female dentists, and even a specialized children's dentist who would take very fearful adults. Before any dentist extraction, I always tell the dentist how very afraid I am due to past experiences of not enough anesthetic, and want to be absolutely sure that more will be given if needed. I have found that female dentists are very sensitized to this, and would even consider rescheduling to book with a sensitized female. Also there are Dentists that advertize their dental work is near pain free, and these are dentists that will make sure you don't feel the anything but the anesthetic. I also found that Oral surgeons who do difficult extractions are much more efficient, experienced, knowledgeable and sensitized to many important issues. I ALWAYS remind the nurse and dentist of how extremely afraid I am, and plead with them to make sure I am numb. I found that dentists that mainly do lower income populations, were my very least choices. Personally I did not favor the laughing gas, due to my extreme anxiety and panic exp and feeling as I lost control of my mind so to speak, and unable to take control of the experience if needed, absolutely petrifying for me not to be able to communicate my experience during this procedure.but some can tolerate this. Dentists have come far in compassion as others have shared too, but its important I believe to do your research on the dentists, and oral surgeons, as well as making sure they have NO problem at ANYTIME during an extraction to making sure you are numbed completely!!!! Finally, i do ask for an antibiotic prior to having an infected tooth extracted if they do not offer this as well as after to clear painful infection and to prevent infection from spreading from the root to neighboring teeth. Compassion is key, and most have truly come far with this in making sure the extraction itself is pain free. You should never feel the extraction itself, and most dentists will be attuned to this especially if you are assured by them, and make this need very clear. I hope this helps you in some way to take some control of your experience Lou. It will be okay..and you can help to make it so.♥♥♥
    • Posted

Thank you very much Cheria your advice is much appreciated- I actually did do some research before I went for my first check and his reviews were very good I must say, there was not one bad report, I said to the receptionist I was nervous she said " oh don't worry he's lovely" so I thought they all say that been there done that ! but he was very nice and too x Rays and explained what needed to be done, he's very young and does seem sympathetic so in all honesty I just think it's ME having to get a grip and trusting him not to hurt me, it is a nightmare because there's no way out of it I have to deal with it, like I said before I would rather have a baby I really would and that's the most dreadful pain in the world - hubby just doesn't understand just tells me not to be so silly it will be ok, he always says that as he's the most relaxed layed back person in the world and never worries about anything but he can't be with me tomorrow- so I am just going to have to deal with it, your very kind finding the time to reassure me and I will try to remember everything you said, I will report back tomorrow and let you know how it went and how pathetic my behaviour will be ( probably ) ! Xx
    • Posted

OMG five hours to go - heart racing like mad already, GOT to do this, will report back later dreading this 😱
  • Posted

I too had dreadful experiences at the dentist many years age, took me a long time to pluck up the courage to go again. Still terrified but it's never as bad as I think it will be. Tell the dentist you have a phobia, they have special training these days for phobic patients. Just concentrate on how great it will be not to be in pain. good luck 
  • Posted

I've had a fear of dentists ever since a child, and I'm 72. I get Diazepam from my GP specially for this and it's wonderful. I hope the visit goes better than you could have imagined, and that before your next visit you get chance to explain to your doctor. Maybe even your dentist would agree with this. Thinking of you today, Lou.
    • Posted

Thank you Ann I would get something but I have to drive there on my own so I can't do that, but am pleased you have found an answer, thanks x
  • Posted

Good morning Lou! Poor you! I feel for you! Have you tried rescue remedy? Also if the dentist is good you need to explain how terrified you are! And ask him or tell him that if you raise your hand he needs to stop! Have you considered asking him to refer you into hospital for the tooth to be taken out under a knock out? Keep us posted! Regards Amanda
    • Posted

Thanks Amanda - just got back from work and walking up the path home dreading it thinking next time I walk down the path I'll be going to the dentist! so silly I know - yes the dentist did say he could put me on the list for hospital anaesthesia BUT there is a three month waiting list ( other phobics too ) and I had major surgery eighteen months ago and have recently been discharged and am so done with hospitals, although they were wonderful it's the smell and sight of hospital gowns that sets me off all over again - I do t know, one way or another I have got to do this and stop being so pathetic, why do we have to go through this barbaric thing, flipping nightmare - yes will keep you posted provided I don't have a panic attack and chicken out AGAIN xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.