Dentist dread

Posted , 8 users are following.

Here we go the dreaded day is almost here - I've had toothache on and off for months and finally plucked up courage to make an appointment a few weeks ago, felt sick and dizzy as dentist told me one needs to come out ( big back one) and two deep fillings needed. Having had horrible experiences in the past with teeth pulled out with not enough anaesthetic and totally freaking out with panic attack from previous dentist put me off for life - but I can't avoid this now as toothache almost all the time and can't keep taking painkillers, so can't keep making excuses to cancel appointments, so am booked in tomorrow. Absoloutley totally terrified of the pain just the thought of going makes my heart thump and feel fight or flight mode kicking in already - anyone got any advice on how to get through this please, can't go on much longer in pain but scared at same time, someone please tell me it will be ok, thanks x

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lou! Good luck! Just think positive thoughts! And breathe! Rescue remedy! Remember to raise your hand to say enough! Regards Amanda
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, thank you very much for message - getting nearer and dreading it, stomach doing flip flops and quite shaky. The Resue Remedy you are talking about where can I get it from do you know ? I finish work at 12 tomorrow and my appointments at half past - there is a Boots right opposite the dentist do you think I could get it there and will it have time to work ? Really stressing out now and I have to go, nearly the weekend and can't put up with another weekend of pain making me miserable xx
    • Posted

Just had a look and see they do sell it in Boots and you put drops in your drink- I will definatly get some, anything gs worth a go xx
  • Posted

We're thinking of you, Lou, holding your hand ! Let us know.
    • Posted

Hi Anne - am back from dentist now with a seriously numb face and slight jaw ache that's all !! I was an absoloute nervous wreck from the second I got in there and I have to say it was fine, he talked me through everything he had to do and the nurse held my hand, kept reassuring me - I didnt feel a thing not even the injections and he gave me plenty. In actual fact I didn't have an extraction he managed to save it put a liner in and deep filling, I felt nothing at all - but I have more to come, three more fillings and the first one next Thursday. I got myself into such a state over nothing, he told the needles are so advanced these days you shouldn't feel them and I didnt! The thought of it all was a million times worse than doing it - no it's not nice and I'm not looking forward to going back but am not filled with sheer terror about it as I know I have a brilliant dentist and I trust him now, phew ! Worse thing is the numb face - thanks for getting me through it everyone xx
  • Posted

Hi, Lou. Glad you're back in the land of the living !! and the worst is over. It sounds as if you had the right approach, and the right staff to see you through it. Keep remembering how kind they were - how well practised and professional. Well done, you.
  • Posted

Hi Lou! Well done you! You've made it ! Now just rest and focus on the positive! Regards Amanda
    • Posted

Thank you Amanda I feel very silly for being such a wreck over it and worrying so much, its awful being such a worrier but nobody enjoys goi g to the dentist, it's over for now until next week, face and jaw aching a lot but that's the first bit over and hopefully the next time won't be so bad either - I will sleep well tonight I think and I do feel a little tiny bit proud of myself ! Thank you very much for all kind words xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.