Depresión over this sickness

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I also have this horrible disease. I was diagnose about 7 years ago, only then I had no symptoms. I was told not to worry since most people don't ever know they have it and don't develop symptoms. So, I did not worry, a year ago I landed in the hospital with the most horrible pain, and I was told it was the diverticula, I was having a full blown attack. Since I been in and out of the hospital. And now, I get so depressed over the fact that the disease progress so much. Will I ever feel healthy again? Seems that I have mild episodes so often. An full blown every few months. I eat only was allow, I cut everything that hurts me. I just don't know if I will ever be the same person I was a year ago.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I doubt you will. I too have suffered for many years being hospitalized twice. What triggers a flair up I don't think I'll ever know. Since I have had so many attacks and now eliminating skins too I am basically on a soft diet. My consult with a surgeon now helped my fear of surgery. He told me it's up to me. Said I'm in a good position (no flare up at the moment) if I want elective surgery. He said fiber fiber fiber. Water water water and more water. I'm trying what he suggested. Taking Metamucil! Says it's the best! I don't eat steak. I had one last night. We'll see.

• Posted

I ended in the hospital wensday night, the trigger was constipation. I must start the Metamucil. I drink water, although i should drink more. I also eliminated red meats from my diet. And red beans, and white rice. I have always like wheat bread better than white, so I'm good there. I am Hispanic so, tomates is the hardes to quit. But I only cook with the pulp of the tomato, yet I'm not sure if that's enough. I heard that some people have a better tolerance toward certain foods and other don't. The pain has not subside yet, though is bareble. Taking my meds and hoping the weekend rest help me get better. I have not eaten solids in a week. I'm starting to feel weak. What to eat in this stage of a flare up?

I finally was able to get rid of the constipation, so that should help with the pain.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about your hospital trip. I usually just have albran and chicken soup when my stomach goes off but then I go the other way can't get of the loo. I have mabevarine 3 times before meals and I have albran in a morning. I don't eat red meat salad tomatoes chocolate only bananas no other fruit

• Posted

Cucumbers too and watch bananas thrybtoo have lots of seeds. I never thought those were seeds in the center of a banana but yep! I know add bananas to my seed list.ugggh
    • Posted

Metamucil comes in capsules. I take 5 a day. It really does help! Read the instructions. I can't drink the liquid but I do drink lots of water.

• Posted

It is a fiber supplement. It comes in powder or capsules. I take the capsules. Take a fiber supplement and drink lots of water. I mean lots. You'll see a difference.

• Posted

Thank you. I had a toast of wheat bread and a soft egg. I was not hungry, but I was having hunger pain at the top my stomach. I am now afraid I choose the wrong food. I am feeling better today, but I am always in fear of the pain. I am so glad there is a group of people out there that understand what it is to have diverticulosis. Thank all for your comments, and experiences.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.