Depressed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ok, I am 4 1/2 weeks post op, I have had a few hic ups along this road to recovery.

I had such a good day yesterday with very little discomfort from the days activities ..I did some yard work without any problems I was careful not to bend used my cane and tried not to over do and rested when needed.

Which brings me to today , I am not doing well at all I managed to get a session of my exercises done with a little push of (i can do this) .

Why do I feel like I'm going backwards today. Like it's only 2 weeks ??

This is so frustrating I take 3 steps forward to take 2 back..

My legs throbs not only my operative leg but my other leg as well.

Please tell me this is normal for I am getting very stressed over not having 2 days in a row of feeling like I want to get active.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I can appreciate how frustrating this is for you but for some people it is par for the course.

You need to listen to and work with your body. I suggest that if possible you ice wherever you have throbbing.

Good luck

Richard

• Posted

Oh Terrie

Sorry to hear you are feeling down today. You do tend to get days like this so please don't despair. It really is a long recovery and you can only progress at your body's pace. Don't be too hard on yourself slow down chill out have a glass of wine or some chocolate or both!

Take care Julie

• Posted

I am no expert because I am only 12 days in but even in that time it seems like I am experiencing  the same thing.. two steps forward.. two back .. three forward, one back.. It is a slow recovery and the physio is boring ... arleady.  Today i went to my first physio and she asked me when my knee surgery was.  She said my knee was 'absoulutely horrible'. I quote. And I just had a hip replacement.  My legs feel totally uneven. All of this is really baffling and only time will tell.

• Posted

Does this sound like incompetence to you/ ? I am not sure why you think I need another PT .. but please let me know what I should look for .. I was pretty shocked by the news as well. But perhaps my gait is that bad that it confused her.
  • Posted

Hi Terrie, sorry you are feeling fed up at the moment. Recovery from a hip op seems to be like this, some good days, and some frustrating ones. Two steps forward, and one step back. The early days are also very tiring, and I think that also affects our mood.

Take it very steadily, as the weeks go by, we gradually feel better. I agree with Julie, have a treat!

Wishing you all the best, Judith

• Posted

Hi judith, question of the day, while I was changing into my PJ'S for the night my husband noticed a rather large bruse on my right side of my stomach by my hip which is the side of THR . It's has been the sharp shooting pain that I've been talking about.

Has this happen to others ?

• Posted

hi terrie, 

the bruise could be from the surgeons grip to forcefully dislocate the hip joint ...

I had bruise/ print of hand on back of my thigh which was noticed by home nurse .. I would have it checked though, just to have peace of mind - better safe than sorry, we always say here 

angel blessings

• Posted

Hi Terrie: 

I am 4 mos post op .   Some days i feel like my thigh and groin pain are gone, then the next day its bad.  Yesterday was the first day i pulled weeds, trimmed my lawn and cleaned up the yard .  Today everything hurts,  My arms, butt thigh.  I think when i walk too much or do a lot of activity, i feel it the next day.  I take one tylenol a couple times a day.  I keep hearing after 6 mos to a year you should feel fine.  We'll see.  I also have calcification where the surgery was in my thigh muscle which causes stiffness in the joint.  Hope this helps you.   

• Posted

This definitely is the norm!! Especially for the first 6 months. Our bodies are adjusting to doing things it may not have been able to do prior to surgery. Even with great care the body will still retaliate. Get some rest, ice if need be. It can be frustrating but it's all part of the recovery. Listen to your body it will let you know!! Best of luck to you!! LD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.