Depressed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ok, I am 4 1/2 weeks post op, I have had a few hic ups along this road to recovery.

I had such a good day yesterday with very little discomfort from the days activities ..I did some yard work without any problems I was careful not to bend used my cane and tried not to over do and rested when needed.

Which brings me to today , I am not doing well at all I managed to get a session of my exercises done with a little push of (i can do this) .

Why do I feel like I'm going backwards today. Like it's only 2 weeks ??

This is so frustrating I take 3 steps forward to take 2 back..

My legs throbs not only my operative leg but my other leg as well.

Please tell me this is normal for I am getting very stressed over not having 2 days in a row of feeling like I want to get active.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know the feeling Terrie sounds just like what I'm going thru my good leg hurts so bad with a dull sharp pain that I can barely walk on it but the operated leg does good I went to PT today and all he did was stenghing exercises on operated leg so IDK what is going on. Hope all goes well with you just take it easy and rest.

• Posted

Hello Terrie

I feel exactly the same.  I am 16 days post surgery, my good leg feels as though it will spontaneously combust and has barbed wire being pulled through it!  I seem to take two steps forward and one back.  I feel as though I have plateaued with my recovery despite doing all my physio.  My mental health is currently not good and I question if I have done the right thing in having surgery.

On a positive note, I have not taken any painkillers today and haven't noticed any difference in pain.  

My thigh muscles are sore especially on good leg and I get a few twinges in lower back.

I keep telling myself it will get better, and I know it is still very early days for me.  Oh, a good night's sleep would be lovely, I have a special pillow coming tomorrow so I can sleep on my side...

Best of luck

Curt x

• Posted

I also wonder if I should have gotten it done at moments when the pain of the Goin and thigh are just to achy to even walk to the restroom.

Today is definitely one of those days.

Being only 4 1/2 weeks post op I am told all of what I am experiencing is normal & each individual is different when it comes to healing from THR.

I use a lot of ice and take acetaminophen before I hope to bed along with a sleep aid it helps me the next morning to get up and get going.

Hope you find a answer to your discomfort. . Good luck.

• Posted

Hi teresa,

My PT guy is amazing, (cute to boot to) lol. Well anyway he has been working on my non surgical leg and also my operative one . I follow at home with thsee exercises and try to push threw .

He told me that if my non surgical leg doesn't feel any better this week I should go see my surgeon and ask about a cortisone injection into the bursa which is very inflamed.

And also keep ice on it as much as possible. . Moist hot heat is wonderful also..

Feel better and keep movin..

• Posted

hi terrie, 

so sorry to hear this .... like others already mentioned, it is normal ... not pleasan and discouraging, but normal ...

In a previous post you mentioned having pain in your groin ... 

you are still early in recovering from major surgery - you are doing really good and are eager to just move on ...

unfortunately your body is not in agreement yet - gardening might have been too much, even though you were very careful to keep the restrictions ...

to keep the body balanced is challenging - 

I think that it is okay to have some set backs - our body is letting us know that we are overdoing something while we are trying to do more ...

so listen to your body and come here any time okay ... rest when needed and please be gentle with your self ....

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Terrie this is normal to feel down and depressed i did too. You are in

early stage and you are still heeling. Go for short walk, read some books. Mostly listen your body ,rest when you need the body will tell you. You are doing fine. Depression will pass. Trust me i did feel same 3 steps forward and two steps back but will get better,

Hug Madla💗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.