Depressed and stressed

Posted , 13 users are following.

I broke my ankle 19/08/16 had surgery on 20/08/16 then I had to give birth to my son 24/08/16.

It was 3 weeks yesterday since my op and I've been so down because I haven't been able to walk and obviously with a newborn it's been really stressful.

Doc originally said two weeks non weight bearing then hopefully a boot. I have a follow up tomorrow so I just want to know if it's likely il get a boot?

I just feel like I'm never going to get better and missing out on so much with my newborn and my eldest starts her new school and I need to go back to work 😰

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mandy, I broke my ankle on the 11.08.16 so one month in, I am weight bearing, whilst still in my cast I am putting between 50 - 100 % weight on my injured foot depending on how it feels still using crutches but getting around well now, I had ORIF surgery on the 12.08.16 plate and 11 screws broke Tib and fib at ankle. I have very little if no pain but it does ache when I have been walking so I elevate for a few hours and all is well again. 

I can stand unaided and stand at a sink without aid. Hope you heal quickly.

There are others out there the same as you, when I went for a new cast and X-ray 1 week after my op there was a young lady who had done exactly the same as me I day before me she to was pregnant and at the time had 3 weeks to go before her baby was due, so she will of just had her baby to. 

It will get better, all the best Connor

• Posted

Thank you hoping tomorrow brings some news when I have hospital
  • Posted

Mandy,

Yours is one of the sadest stories I've seen on this site.  Mine was a dislocation with 3 breaks.  My surgery entailed screws and a plate.  I was non weight bearing for essentially 10 weeks receiving a boot after 6 weeks.  I am now 22 weeks and all is well.  I used a knee scooter to get around and it was a godsend.  For most of us on this site it has been a long process.  It is difficult both mentally and phsically.  When you start physical therapy things really begin to improve.  My best to you in your recovery.  Let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

Hey Mandy congrats on your new born...i kno the feeling depressed and stressed out things will get better with time i promise you .Just try to keep your mind off of it..I broke my fob and tib i have to have surgery 6 screws and some plates i went straight into a boot i never had a cast..my 3 wrrk my doc said i can put a lil weight but im at 6 weeks now i can walk w/o crutches i just have a limp and i dont put all my weight on it ..wish u the best
    • Posted

Thank you at least I have him to take my mind of this ankle!

Wow I wonder why some people get a boot and some have a cast? Hopefully my recovery is as quick as yours!

• Posted

Hi many

Take it one day at a time. You will heal and then your life will burst with busy work. You will participate on life.

I can't say I know what you are going through, but I can say I am deep in depression as well. I am here if you need to vent.

God bless and keep you!!

Theresa

• Posted

Mandy,  I am so very sorry- I cannot begin to imagine what you must be going through.  I can only imagine how sad you must feel.  I am so sorry but can assure you that it does- and will get better.  I only pray you have a lot of support at home right now.

What I have found is that all doctors tend to have differing opinions on the care.  I broke my right ankle (bemalleolar fx) in 2 places on July 24th, had surgery on the 27th, had a soft cast for 2 weeks, hard cast for 5 weeks (which I am getting off on Tuesday!!) and was told that I will then have a boot for 6 weeks at which time I will be able to start wt bearing.  I have been out of work for 7 weeks- and was told by MD that I would be out at least 3 mos.  BUT, with that being said, I am older (59) though was very active- walking, swimming, hiking, kayaking... so this has been extrememly difficult- emotionally and physically.    But please do know that all MDs are different and I am sure age and other things play a factor.

It will get better for sure. It is a tough injury and can take awhile to heal entirely. I am sure you have been reading the forum and it just varies...

You CAN do this!  and again- it will get better.... please keep us posted on how your followup goes tomorrow.

Jan

• Posted

Hi Mandi,

I am so sorry to here of your injury, especially with your newborn. It give you an idea of my timeframes. I broke my ankle July 6th, Then had surgury on July 19th. 9 screws and a plate. I was put in a splint cast, then a boot and became weight bearing on Aug. 25th. I have been walking for 2.5 weeks and the past week is by far the best. So I'm walking more decent 7-8 weeks after surgury. The first week of walking At week 5.5 weeks out was stiff and hard.

• Posted

My experience is that if you did not stay off it you will get a lecture instead of a boot. You waited until the end to mention the older child and him or her starting school. That I feel is the crux of your problem. The newborn just eats and sleeps. Plan one on one time with your older child, at home. They just need you to be there.

• Posted

Thanks I've not put any weight on it for 3 weeks

• Posted

Mandy,

As a mom of a toddler and a preschooler and a person recovering from ankle surgery, my heart goes out to you. I think the third week after giving birth was a low point for my baby blues, and I'm so sorry that you're going through that while also experiencing the stress and depressed feelings associated with being non weight bearing. You are right, your baby is a huge blessing, but it's okay to feel depressed even at this happy time. Don't ever feel guilty for being sad as so much of the way you are feeling is probably influenced by your hormones. Here's my timeline so you can compare: Surgery was August 1, I went into a hard cast 1 week later on August 8 (still non weight bearing), then a walking boot on August 22. After the 22nd, I started physical therapy and I started working on walking. My mood improved dramatically at that point. Two things that helped me walk again were this thing called an even up that you put on your other shoe to make that side as tall as the walking boot, and a walker (like for elderly people). The crutches just didn't help me get used to walking the way the walker did. I went back to the dr on Sept 9, and I am now in only a nylon ankle brace and I am walking everywhere, doing stairs and I feel very, very normal. Three weeks ago, I never would've believed I'd get here. You will get here too. This is temporary and it will be over sooner than you think. Hang in there! You are one tough mama and your baby will know that one day. Big hugs from one mom to another!

• Posted

Hi lo50465,

Your story is giving me hope! I'm still in the boot after four months from TAR. Most life altering experience. Plaques, bolts, pins holding my foot together. Three surgeries and as a single mom it has been rough. Daughter just started High School and has always seen me strong. It is been a complete challenge. I'm glad you are doing bettersmile thanks for sharingsmile Monika

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.