Depressed and wondering when I would regain my normal routine

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I am 45 years old. I am experiencing excruciating pain after post surgery of my ankle 1/26/2018. My ankle was dislocated/ fractured. The doctor installed screws and plates in order to fuse my ankle bones. When I extend my legs upright, my toes and the buttom of my foot becomes numb and painful. Walking to the bathroom with crutches is tough. During the day, I usually sit all day with my foot elevated. I just can't wait until I recover. When I discharged from the hospital, I was gulping down pain medications to the point I developed multiple bad reaction of acid reflux. Thank heavens,I am down to one tylenol a day, which is awesome. I am just in a depressive state of mind because I can't do simple tasks such as preparing my own meals or cleaning my own house. My family help out to a certain point, which I am grateful for. I just hate depending on others for help. I am planning on ordering the knee scooter, which hopefully works out for me.

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The knee scooter will give you SO much independence and a bit of your sanity back. 

I’m 30, I had an ORIF surgery on 1/23/18. I fractured my tibia and fibula - I had a plate with 7 screws down the plate with an 8th screw fusing the tibia and fibula. I just had my sutures removed today and am in a hard cast for the next 4 weeks and then off to a walking boot. 

My 4th and 5th toes are numb down to about my ankle - my surgeon mentioned today my sural nerve may be acting up because the nerve runs through your calf and the surgery was a trauma to it. 

My surgery was on a Tuesday and by Friday I was norco free and just sticking to the Tylenol. I had a busy weekend this past and am back to norcos at bed time. 

My surgeon suggested I continue to take the Tylenol through the day since nsaids help reduce swelling. Maybe you should try that? Have you been icing? I’ve found the icing every hour for 20 minutes helps immensely. Frozen vegetables cover and go through my cast. Otherwise, I stick an ice pack behind my knee. 

Hope this helps!

• Posted

I had surgery on 1/27/2018, and the first week was hell. My legs were swollen. My calf was so tender, I cried everytime I had to walk to the bathroom. I haven't been icing, but I will try icing tonight. Have a good night. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

A wheelchair is handy because you can carry things. If you use a walker, use a cloth bag on the side. Knee scooter, I would be curious as to how that works out. I've been in this mess since August 20th. Once I was actually walking the doctor took a plate out and I went backwards. This is definitely a life changer. Lost my job after 38 years because I couldn't work.

• Posted

Carol48255, I am so sorry you lost your job of 38 years.Maybe, you can work at home, have you suggested that? I am worried about not being able to perform at work as well. My job consists of transferring and transporting patients in and out of chairs. I hope my ankle would have the strength to sustain weight, without any complications. I have plans to pursue another career, maybe real estate or nursing. I am just curious, why you decided to remove your plates? Thank you for taking the opportunity to reply for my post. Have a great day. Feel better!
  • Posted

Hang in there! It gets better I PROMISE!! I had a few gloomy days when I realized I couldn't even get up to grab myself a glass of water without help from someone. This too shall pass. Right now sitting with your foot prop'd up is the best thing you can do for that healing bone of yours. Don't rush it. Enjoy your time off. I had to force myself into thinking of all of the good things that were now happening inside of me while I was healing instead of worrying about what I wasn't able to do. It gets stressful but the house work will still be there when you are back on your feet. Now is not the time to fret about those things. Let your family help. I sent my hubby out to buy two cases of bottled water and I set them right next to my chair, that way when I wanted water I could grab it myself! I set a little table right next to me that held everything I needed within an arms reach and even filled a basket with snacks. Use this time to drink lots of milk, eats lots of protein, start wiggling your hurt foot (the numbness eventually goes away but takes time), rest, and do something you like....I read a book. Take care of YOU. And become friends with your injured foot. Massage it, and love on it. Its the best thing you can do.

• Posted

Thank you, Sandra76190 for your encouraging advice. I do have to focus on my ankle and get the rest my body requires to heal. I will setup a table with everything I need. Thank you! Have a great day.
  • Posted

Dear Yolander0,

What you are experiencing is normal. You are in the very early stages of recovery and this is probably the most difficult time for everyone who experiences an ankle fracture. The pain and depression do get better, but being immobile and NWB is very difficult. As those of us who have been through this can attest, healing takes time, the pain will change in intensity and location but gradually lessen, and the depression will lift as you become more mobile. It just takes time. I suffered a trimalleolar fracture on 9/7/2017 and was 80% recovered by the end of December. At one point, I was positive I would never walk again! I think it probably take about a year to get back to normal.  And, I just got rid of my knee scooter. I think you will find the knee scooter very liberating. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you for replying to my post. I have the same thoughts of not having the ability to walk again. I wiggle my toes to maintain blood circulation and I attempt to do simple leg exercises. Did you had plates and screws attach to your ankle? I am fear of walking with screws attach to my ankle bones when I get better. Before I was injured, I would workout three days of week on the treadmill and on the bicycle. I hope I will be able to workout without any restrictions. When I get to that stage of healing, then I will consult my doctor.Have a great day. Thank you for the encouraging reply.
    • Posted

Yes, I have two plates and 6-8 screws. They do bother me sometimes, but I think it is just knowing they are there. They do not really hurt at this point. I have been riding a stationary bicycle and walking on a treadmill for some time at physical therapy, so you should be fine with those activities once you heal enough. I have actually found that being more rather than less physically active once I was FWB sped up the healing process and kept my ankle limber. You are one day closer to being better!
    • Posted

Thank you. I am so excited to hear some good news. I will have the ability to workout when I heal, hooray! Thank you for replying to my post. Have a great day, stay strong.
  • Posted

Hi Yolander,

So sorry for all your pain and angst. Such a tough time you are going through. What is great about this forum is everyone is at different levels of recuperation, so lots of advice coming in for you. 

Everyone is right, Rest and elevate. Ice, Ice and more ice! 

If you get a scooter get yourself a basket to hold your things and a cushion for your knee to rest on. Life saver!

You will feel all sorts of pain as you go through your recovery.  All normal. 

Trust me or the many on this forum, you will know when its not normal. 

And do NOT hesitate to ask for help!! If they are there use them. Cry with them. And you will cry. I even cry at my 13th week recovery!! I get down and out and so on. All normal... give yourself happy thoughts to get you through ... and sleep! It helps! 

Good luck! 

Rose

• Posted

Thank you, rose71920 for responding to my post. I never tried ice on my splint,However, I have used ice packs when I was hospitalized. Upon discharge, I hadn't used any ice or hot treatments, but I will listen to your advice and use ice. How long should I apply the ice? I'll definitely ask my husband and my 13 years old daughter for help without hesitating. My husband is exhausted, and he complains at times. He's also stressed as well. I told him I will get better. My daughter coping with the ordeal well. She loves making me a cup of tea. Have a great day, Rose.

• Posted

Your welcome Yolander, 

?    That is so sweet of your daughter making your tea for you. Anything she can do is a great help! Even brushing your hair... pampering goes a long way , I feel. You should have your hubby massage your feet too, when he can get to them and when you can tolerate it. It helps so much to have that touch and that lotion or oil on the scar.

Just keep icing a few times a day. For however long you need it. Like I said I am 13 weeks out of surgery and every once in a while I still feel like I want the ice on my ankle. And it feels good.

I only did one heat treatment. That felt nice also. 

Your husband will be fine. Its a lot of stress going through injury/ surgery. Remember you are the one going through it but he is , too. My husband has been a love but some days I can see in his face that he is so over this. (or me) LOL  

I also have not been able to work because I was a retail manager.. on my feet over 9 hours a day. Can't do that. So I had to give up my position. Sad as it is...but one day we'll be back at it! I have faith! smile 

Best of luck!

Rose

• Posted

Rose71920, you just don't know, you made my day! I am reading silently on my cellphone,and I have been bursting in laughter. You are hilarious. My husband gave me look, like is she going nuts😂 I allowed him to read your post and he was dying laughing. As far as , my husband touching my foot, that's a No No! His hands are too rough. He attempted to rub my toes and he was hurting me. A couple of times, he bumped my foot accidentally" including my daughter. I was sitting on my couch a few days ago, my daughter sat right on top of my splint. I screamed like H! She felt horrible. I said, don't worry baby. It was an accident. For two days, I was in agony. I cried multiple times, but I couldn't allow her to see me that way. When it comes to my foot, I get frantic. As far as my hair, my daughter loves to braid my hair. I have natural course hair so she enjoys styling my medium length hair. I am going to be optimistic that we will succeed finding a job that is suitable for us. How long have you been married? Your husband isn't over you. Men just get irritated with us (women) at times. They still love us..

• Posted

Hey there!

Glad you got a chuckle out of my post! smile I love it here. I feel like everyone just gets it in the forum. 

I have been married for 18 years! Second time around! What the heck was I thinking?!? LOL  But 18 yrs is longer than the first guy so that is a plus! ha! 

Oh my... having someone hit my foot in the beginning.... lord let me say it was tearful! But like you , I held my tongue. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings that they hurt me more! 

Oh and you will get used to hubs rubbing your foot. Trust me. Doc is going to tell you to have him do it once you heal.  I never liked any one touch my feet but it feels so good after all that crap going on in there!

I think you have a while before you are on full weight bearing... so hang in there! 

?you'll know when you are strong enough to start doing things. Even then, don't be a super star! Take things slow. Seriously, I still walk very slow and within 35 to 45 mins I'm back in pain and I'm much further out than  you. 

Have a good night!

Rose smile 

• Posted

Good Morning, Rose 71920. Ok, I have been married twice myself. I don't dear want to go down that path again. I told my husband of 10 years, if him and I decided to get a divorce, I would never remarry. So far, he's been a wonderful husband. When I was hospitalized, he tried to place a bedpan under me. The nurse walked in the room, and laughed at him. He was repositioning the bedpan under my thigh 😂 He gets overwhelmed at times, but he's hanging in there.

As far as you walking 30-45 minutes and your in pain. Have you ever tried a pain patch? I hope you beable to conquer your pain odds. So far, I can't bear any weight to my rt leg, which is a nuisance. Today, I have an appt for the doctor to remove my sutures. I just can't wait to be walking around at least. I know healing is a process, and I must hang in there. Then, I will have my hubby rub my feet fir days. Have a great day. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Evening Yolander, 

I haven't tried a pain patch. My doc is quite all about movement , movement and more! The day my second cast came off I had my scooter and he came in the room and said... "Stand on that foot!" Whoa... I completely freaked out with a nervous chuckle! I said to him... "Doc... I'm scared!"  And he knew it. But he said MOVE that foot / walk when you can and do PT. 

I did get myself some resistant bands for home and love them! I got the low resistant one and the medium. Best thing ever to invest in! I can exercise it 4/5  times a day. Which is needed. I guess at this point I'm just ready to move on. 

Your hubs sounds like a riot.  I never want my hubby to put  a bed pan near me! LMAO.... lord I can just imagine what that would be like. No thanks! 

I give them a lot of credit for listening to us belly aching! LOL 

Rose

• Posted

Good Morning, Rose. I have the same fear as yourself. I wonder will I have the ability to tolerate walking a straight line or maybe I'll be wobbling all over the place. Yesterday, I graduated to wearing an orthropedic boot. When the nurse placed the boot on my foot, I was like, omg. The boot feels like it wears a ton. I felt so awkward. I am was thinking to myself, how on earth will I manage to sleep with the boots on. Ever since I had the slip and fall accident, I hadn't slept peacefully. Throughout the night, I toss and turn, which is annoying. I have to repositioned my body and pillows several times. How are you sleeping?

Rose, when I was packing my bags to leave the hospital, my husband asked me if I wanted to take the bedpan home. I said, no way! I won't be needing a bed pan anymore. I started chuckling at him. Then, he tossed the bed pan in the trash, and said, I'll just play basketball with this bed pan 😂

I will invest buying resistant bands as well. I'm going to check Amazon out. Have a wonderful weekend.

• Posted

Good Morning !

?I hope your weekend was good. Mine was Ok.  I am getting better with my sleeping. Going under for surgery 2 x's in 3 months had raised havoc with my sleep pattern, but I think I'm finally in a more normal routine now.  I was doing the pillow repositioning thing, too. (I think we all do or did!) Horrible! I wish I had invested in the wedge from Amazon, I think it would have made a huge difference. But have faith you'll get to that good sleep and exercise again soon enough. 

I recently went to the doc and I asked a ton of questions. Was told Six months is when you will know what and how much you can do from your surgery date.  That seems to be the time of good healing. Also to keep elevating and icing. 

Movement is very important as Im sure you have read here... Once your doc gives your the go ahead you have to put that weight down on it and walk, resistant bands and so on. I do the gas peddle movement a ton during the day , too.. .and he loved that. Said my movements are great. 

There is a women on this forum who gave a ton of advice. I believe her user name is KP but she was the one who said keep doing those gas peddle exercises! And they work! 

sounds like you have a good hubby there! smile 

Have a good day/week!

Rose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.