Depressed and wondering when I would regain my normal routine

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I am 45 years old. I am experiencing excruciating pain after post surgery of my ankle 1/26/2018. My ankle was dislocated/ fractured. The doctor installed screws and plates in order to fuse my ankle bones. When I extend my legs upright, my toes and the buttom of my foot becomes numb and painful. Walking to the bathroom with crutches is tough. During the day, I usually sit all day with my foot elevated. I just can't wait until I recover. When I discharged from the hospital, I was gulping down pain medications to the point I developed multiple bad reaction of acid reflux. Thank heavens,I am down to one tylenol a day, which is awesome. I am just in a depressive state of mind because I can't do simple tasks such as preparing my own meals or cleaning my own house. My family help out to a certain point, which I am grateful for. I just hate depending on others for help. I am planning on ordering the knee scooter, which hopefully works out for me.

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, hang I. There. I had ORIF surgery to my left ankle January 2. I fell down my garage stairs Christmas Day.  I have a plate and 7 screws. After the first 2 weeks the pain got considerably better. The biggest complaint is if I have my foot down for more than an hour it swells up and gets very uncomfortable. After 2 weeks post op I had a hard cast put on.I get very claustrophobic and sometimes especially when leg swells up it drives me crazy. Tomorrow I go to drs and hopefully will be get a removable boot. You’re lucky you can do crutches. I am not that coordinated and have been using a walker cause I am afraid I’ll fall on crutches. I’ve been NWB for 7 weeks and i’m hoping tomorrow the dr will start letting me put some weight on my foot. Maybe I can try crutches then. 

It helps to read everyone’s experience and to see that a lot of what I’m going this normal. It’s a long haul and it can get very discouraging and depressing. I am 60 yrs old and I know that sometimes age makes a difference. Also I was a smoker. The dr scared the hell out of me about the affects of smoking and ankle surgey and all the complications with infection s and healing . So I quit cold turkey 6 days before surgery, I hope it was enough time to make a difference, I Just pray that  tomorrow the X-ray will show that bone is healing correctly. 

I hope your pain is lessening. Hang in there!

• Posted

Good Afternoon Gail3780

I am so sorry that you have to encounter falling on Christmas. Next Christmas attempt to spend a glorious time spending time with family. I fell on 1/25/2017 down the stairs at my house. I don't wear shoes in my house at all so I am usually bear footed or I'll have socks on. For hear on out, I will be wearing skid free socks for now on. Luckily on that day, I hadn't suffered any life threatening injuries. Normally, I am always home alone, however on that day, I had visitors so I was thankful for that.

As far as putting weight on your leg, I can't wait. I know I will be terrified when my doctor grants me the ok to walk. I wonder how the surgery or the impact of the fall will affect my life, but I am praying that everything goes well.

When you start using crutches. You will have to get accustomed using them. I notice my upper body has become firmer so using crutches have some benefits. Take care time while using crutches.

Good luck😊

• Posted

Hi Yolander06542,

looks like you are exactly one month behind me. Thank God you were not home alone. I was lucky my husband was home at the time of my fall too. I did it at 5am Christmas morning. I was going down garage stairs and missed the last step. So we got got to go to the ER and my husband got me back home in time for our 20 plus guests. Needless to say  I stayed upstairs in bed. You take your feet for granted. I will never do that again. It has been a long 7 weeks. I went to the dr today and I graduated to a removable boot. I was scared about putting weight on  my foot. I read so many horror stories online. I haven’t walked too much today just from dr office, to the car and them  to home.  It is definitely going to take time but it was’t as bad as I thought  putting weight on it. The boot however is awful. I hope I can get use to it.  So for today I am Just enjoying have a free leg with no cast or boot. I am having a marathon watching Scandal😊. Did you have a plate and pins put in?  It’s a very weird feeling. My dr told me that 2 of the long screws with come out around 3 months  or once all healed.  

You said you are usually home alone that has to be hard. My husband and I both retired a year ago so I have him home to help with cooking and laundry etc. This was not how we planned our retirement. My dad who lived with us got very sick a year ago. Christmas  and passed away 2 mths after I retired,  I’m hope 2018 is  enter year. 

Well hang in there. I go to PT Wednesday. I think I’ll wait till then to try masters crutches. My biggest fear is falling again. Fingers crossed🙏🏻

• Posted

Good Morning, Gail37806

I am so sorry your father passed away, and now you have to deal with your injury. I promise you, life will get better. Since I developed my injury, I go through a lot of sad moments, I came with a solution to dissipate my stress level. I listen to music and watch movies. Do you enjoy listeninv to music? I also burn aroma candles.

I hope all goes well with you when you go to P.T. Just take your time and don't over exert yourself.

I know exactly what your are talking about when you heard horror stories about the boots. The boot feels like it wears a ton.

• Posted

Good afternoon Yolander06542,

thanks for your encouraging words. It does help hearing everyone’s stories and knowing what I’m going through is normal. I’ve had some bouts of depression through all this. I try to stay busy reading, watching movies and I fo like to listen to music and does help keep my mind off of things p. I guess in a way it’s better to go through this now in the winter than summer. Hopefully we will be well on our way by the time the good weather comes.  

Do you know when you’ll be able to start putting weight on your foot.

• Posted

Good afternoon

I am so thankful you and I don't have to deal with all the plights of not walking. I just want to enjoy my summer and work on nursing my ankle back to health. I have a plethora of discoloration, which I despised.I'm going to start applying cocoa butter to my skin or African shea butter.

So far, I can't bear weight until the March 7, 2018. I think I am going to cry when my doctor tells me I can walk. Have a great day 😊

• Posted

Hi,

i started using a moisturizer on my leg and just in one day I noticed a big difference. I’ve heard of Shea butter but not African. Maybe I’ll try that. 

March7 will be here before you know it. We’re you ever in a plaster cast. Are you in  the boot now! Today I could only wear the boot for about an hr. I look forward to PT evaluation tomorrow. I hope I’m not supposed to wear it all day. I didn’t think to ask dr cause I didn’t think it was going to be a problem, it feels like it’s 100 pounds and the bottom is a rocker. 

Hang in there!

• Posted

Hello

Yes, I am wearing a boot, which feels like it weighs a ton. You are wearing your boot for one hr, that's wonderful. I on the other hand, have been wearing my boot 24hrs. Anytime, I remove the boot, my foot swells and become numb. Also, I feel pain as well. I even have to wear the boot while I am sleeping. I spray my boot with lysol and wipe my boot down. Your question regarding the splint, yes I wore a splint up until last Friday. Both devices are annoying. Have a goodnight. Hope everything goes well with you at P.T tomorrow.

• Posted

What kind of moisturizer you are using on your skin? I was told cocoa butter and African Shea butter does wonders for the skin. It's a little sticky, but it works.

• Posted

Good Afternoon,

I can't imagine wearing a boot 24 hrs.  So you never did have a hard cast?  I'm not sure what's worse hard cast or boot.  Hang in there you're almost 1 month in hopefully you will have less and less swelling and pain.

PT went better than I expected.  this was just for the evaluation but i felt hopeful.  I thought I was supposed to be walking more and therapist said to walk as much as I can but not over do it.  Boot not as bad today.  

When of you go back to dr?  I hope you're having a good day!

• Posted

I feel your pain I'm too struggling with asking people to do stuff for me all the time, it's also putting a strain on my marriage 

• Posted

HI Samantha, 

?Don't be ashamed to ask for help! Its needed and if anyone questions you show them your surgery papers. These surgeries are nothing to sneeze at and you need help to do things. Help you bath and so on.  If your husband is that put out tell him to go have the surgery and see what he can do on his own. Sorry but I despise people who think this surgery is Nothing. My husband asked me one day what was wrong with me. How come I looked so down and out and didn't really want to participate in the things he was doing at the moment. And I started to cry and told him "You try doing this" Is not easy to go from going all the time to not... I told him it was very isolating at times.  He has been a huge support, love and all around my shoulder for over a year now, but he finally got it when I said that to him. Now I get massages on my feet nightly! *which you should be having when you can* with oils and lotion. The touch is wonderful for your circulation and the scar needs it. He cooks and cleans and laundry. And again, just support. 

Good luck to you! I'm sure he is helping you.... and I do know it can get frustrating to be with "us" injured! smile 

Rose

• Posted

Sounds a lovely bloke, are u still suffering after a year? I need to be better asap I want to get back to work and exercising 😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.