Depressed, anxious and stuck in a rut. What do I do?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 21 years old and over the past month my depression and anxiety have developed to the point where I am no longer coping. Every morning I wake up and my heart pounds and my entire body burns at the thought of climbing the huge mountain that is the day ahead of me.

Before it got so bad I had to drop out of college and move home because of acute depression and I thought having nothing to do and being at home with my parents and girlfriend would make life easier and I would be happier. This kind of worked for a while but the novelty quickley wore off and I found myself completely bored everyday with no motivation or desire to do any of the things I used to love doing. As if I abused all the nice things in life to make myself happy and ended up over doing it. My girlfriend also recently moved away for good which effected everything. Thoughts such as the fact that I will never enjoy life again constantly roam around in my head leading to frequent panic attacks. This panic has made it impossible to even think about functioning like a normal human, such as getting a job and new hobbies and getting my life back seems so overwhelming and the depression makes me not want to anyway. I dont see the point and I cant see it making me any happier.

If im this anxious doing nothing at all what would I be like with responsibilities ? But at the same time without any responsibilites its like I invite my mental illness into my head to stay there from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. It is the scariest thing I have ever experienced because there is no cause for it as I am literally doing nothing, and without a cause I cant control it.

I have no life plan and no idea what lies ahead of me and I feel like im stuck in a rut, Im going crazy at home with nothing to do but being trapped in my own head all day and I dont enjoy any of the distractions I used to, but at the same time whenever I try to move out and start a new life, or even think about getting a job, I feel lonely, depressed and pressured. It feels like its not possible for me to get back on my own two feet because I cant even cope in the current position I'm in at home.

It feels like I have run out of options and nowhere left to turn, which has made the anxiety and depression impossible to cope with. Like I have no escape and the rest of my life will be empty.

I have been on 10mg of citalopram for about 5 weeks and I'm seeing a psychologist weekly.

Has anyone had any simular experiences? Any advice or help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading- Luke.

4 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So I just came across your post and it completely described my current situation... ive always had depression and have dealt with it okay but the last six months or so I've had severe anxiety and the two combined has essentially rendered me useless. I was wondering if you learned any helpful suggestions or insight into dealing with it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.