Depression

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi im new to this site , started taking citalopram yesterday.

My partner has left me after 5 years for another woman, also im having

a terrible time at work, manager is hateful and critisizes my every move,

also dropped my hours to 20 a week but piled more work on.

just struggling to cope, went to doctor yesterday and broke down in tears,i feel so alone, dont think i will ever get over the relationship break up,havent text him for 2 weeks now, was so close but held myself back, im hoping in the long run, i will get over him and hoping the tablets will help.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey rachel83454 

Sorry to hear you've been having a rough time. Things will get better just wait and see! I've been taking citalopram for 4weeks now and even though I've had many side effects I've also started seeing the benefit too. I'm taking them for anxiety,  and recently I've been having some good days (which I thought would never happen). I know it might not seem it at the moment but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Did your doctor suggest talk therapy as well? Letting it all out could be a weight off your shoulders.

All the best to you

• Posted

Hi Ashleigh

Do you think they could take a few weeks to kick in?been on them since thursdaylast week and still feel really down.

The doctor gave me a number to ringto talk to someone, but i would rather counselling face to face.My heart is completley broken in two,i feel a total idiot for being cheated on and lied to. I havent contacted him now for 2 weeks and i am determined not to,its really hard,buti know i have got todo this for myown sake and for my pride,im hoping and praying this gets easier. xxxxxxxxxxxx  

• Posted

Hi Rachel

just wondering if you are getting on ok with your medication.

have you started off on 10mg for a week & are you then moving up to 20mg?

i was fine on the 10mg but had a few restless nights on the 20mg's - it does settle down  though (when your serotonin  levels out) and you should start noticing a difference by the 2-3 weeks.

Besides medication, you can help your body by eating healthy foods if you can. Anxiety drains your vitamins, so worth nibbling on a few cashew nuts every day and also worth eating more fish every week. Omega-3 is really great for your brain. 

Also treat yourself to an evening bath every night if you can make the time - really important for you to build relaxation into your day & start investing some time on yourself. You deserve it (and you'll feel much better for it)

sleep well

xx

• Posted

rachel you have made the most important step, i had a nervous breakdown due to bullying in work and had to go the docs and show him the cuts on my arms and thighs but i was desperate they gave me help in one form and the tablets were a no no they put me on citalopram and after weeks i felt better more the real me and i went back to work fronted the bully out i was shaking like hell but she did this to me with horrid things like the silent treatment just for sticking up for young members of staff she was bullying we worked in a busy restuarant and when she cooked i would always have to wait extra long for things to be put on to cook it was a nightmare she was moved and i was so pleased and then about six months later got this pain in my leg took all my holidays had it checked out so many times and eventually had to give up my job in the september sadly as i loved it,i was seeing a lovely man had been for 3 years i am a single parent with 2 grown boys they were not long out of their teens then and bugger me i had a heart attack at the age of 45 in the january i texted my man or so i thought and you know whats coming the bastard dumped me with a text so i have been where you are and practically wrote the book KEEP GOING GIRL and do not text it gets better after the raw hurting stops take the pills i call them my magic pills as when you are back to your old normal thinking straight self you will wonder what all the fuss was about sending you my best wishes and hugs too this time well done xxxxx
    • Posted

hi,

wow poor you !you have really been through it, bless you.

the problem i have in work is that my manager in my office is best friends with the owner of the company, he thinks the world of her so cant even complain, really looking toget out of there asap, but need to build up my confidence as they are touching rock bottomat the moment - totally!. it has been two weeks since i text my bastard ex, and all he did was laugh at me and gave me abuse, so i vowed that day that was the last time and havent text since. some days i just want to text him, but when that feeling arises i just busy myself,bloody difficult. went to the doctor last wk and just broke down in tears, he offered me a sick note but declined, im going to try and face that bitch of a manager tomorrow, been off for a week, i dont want to show her i am weak because she willlove that,

big hugs  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

do not buckle under her pressure ride it out you are strong enough she wants you in tears thats her only power you buck up girl you can do it best of luck let me know how it went hugs sadsack xxxxxx
  • Posted

Rachel I'm sorry to hear of yr dilemma, men ..... Anyway enough about that

ive been on citalapram for years because I have fibromyalgia I also had a heap of stress trying to cope with my pain, depression and full time carer for my elderly mum. I got up to 40mg a day at one point,  it does help I'm certain of it, my mum passed away six months ago and I was hoping my stress levels would lower, but unfortunately my pain hasn't I am now on 20mg and if I forget it for a day or two boy do I know it, they aren't addictive don't think that but they certainly keep things under control. I have no intention of reducing it anymore. I have all the good advice the ladies have given you and I can only endorse all of it, when yr at the bottom there is only one place to go and that is up. Try some exercises or a nice walk any positive because that gets your adrenalin going which releases happy hormones in you. Have a career change maybe, at the end of the day the most important person is you and you deserve the best, I wish you well and don't forget a lot of people of here feel for you...best wishes Angela

• Posted

you are so right angela forget one dose and it sucks big time very sorry for your loss that will never ease only feel easier with time hugs sadsack

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.