Depression after THR

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm only 10 days out from THR. But this morning I just started crying for no reason! I'm always on the go and knowing I can't do much with this 90 degree thing is already getting to me. I have started to walk unassisted but it is hard when my new hip side leg is longer thand the other. Pulling lots of muscles trying to walk with out a limp.

Patients I do lack!

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There's no logic to our crying when you look back, having come out the other side. I can remember crying because my husband questioned why I wanted to comb my hair before going in the shower and didn't pass my comb to me the minute I asked. I also cried my eyes out when I struggled to put my own knickers on without help and then found they were back to front. And then there were all those times when I'd had a worse than usual night or when the pain was worse than the day before...

Don't beat yourself up about it because it will pass.

Safe healing to you.

Steph x

• Posted

Thank you! I never cry for nothing so it was strange for me to bust out in tears all bye my self.
  • Posted

Lorena, I was the same three weeks in watching a Christmas move (had. Y op in November 15) absolutely bawled my eyes out couldn't stop, just cried and cried, mentioned it to my physio she said it was normal so your not depressed it's all part of the roller coaster you are now on.

good luck 

suexx

• Posted

They didn't tell me about the healing process! More information needs to be given.

I like to ride roller coasters not this one.

• Posted

You will get all the information you need from this wonderful family Hun, just ask and we will answer

sue

• Posted

Hi Lorrena, 

I am at day 20 now after THR. I can honestly say that after the first couple of days in hospital which were not good, every day has seen a little improvement. I made a decision that everything I expended energy for during this time would be all about getting well, so fuelling my body with the optimum nutrition to help it to heal, doing exactly what the physio told me to do, no more and no less, listening to my body and resting whenever it tells me to, and having a good cry if I felt I needed to. Much better to get those tears out, I find I'm laughing more now, doing a bit more every day. Best thing is hardly any painkillers, much less pain than I had pre op, and the certainty that this will continue to improve. Be kind to yourself, you're worth it! Speedy recovery to us all xxx

• Posted

Hi lorrena, oh boy I do remember those days, barely able to move and still in pain and crying like a baby! I think the depression hits many of us after THR, and is very frustrating wanting to do things and not being able to. Ten days post op is still very very early in the recovery process. Remember to take it easy and don't overdo it. Many told me also when I tried to get ahead of my recovery that it takes time and you will start noticing improvements it is just a slow process. Wishing you a wonderful recovery....,.Barb

• Posted

Barb,

Thanks for understanding! They did not tell me what to expect at all! I don't know if I'm doing enough or to much. I was a non stop person who now sits in the big 90 degree all day. Really hard for a overly active person.

• Posted

I know exactly what you are saying lorrena, many of us were unprepared as far as knowing what to expect. When the reality sets in it hits you like a ton of bricks! I am so happy I found this site and will be much better prepared for my next hip replacement. For us who have always been on the go and use to doing things, keeping busy, working etc....it is really rough. I am so use to taking care of everyone else, and it was really hard for me to adjust to the fact that someone had to do for me. Hope that you are feeling better today, and people on here are great so any questions you might have I am sure someone has experienced it. Hope you have a wonderful evening....Barb
    • Posted

Barb,

This site is wonderful! I'm so happy I found it !

Looking forward to having kind helpful people who are good through the same thing help me though this too!

Feeling better today, thanks for asking!

Lorrena

• Posted

Hi lorrena, 

warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies where we share our personal stories and experiences - well, great responses already - you are definitely not alone -

This is a roller coaster ride, not only physically but also emotionally and spiritually - Confrontation with our self , in my case, my self - Feeling dependent and forced to do things with restrictions and getting tired when oing the simplest of things -

resising these feelings and emotions are counter-productive darling - It is what it is, better to accept and go with it -

I believe in the boy-mind connection - your body has a part forcefully removed - she is mounring her loss ... muscles, tendons severed,, and new hardware has been put in - banged in, actually .... Now your body needs to heal, and accept the new parts as well - 

this has been quite traumatic so crying is a huge release - and ... sometimes old repressed emotions finally make their way out - 

so let it flow -- it is healing on so many levels ---

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Lorrena! You are in good company! We have all experienced the torrent of tears and roller coaster of emotions after THR. I am 10 weeks post op from lthr and fracture repair; posterior. It has been hard. After seeing my surgeon yesterday, I am finally able to use a cane and start physical therapy next week. He and I had quite a discussion surrounding this very thing; the depression, feelings of isolation, fear and helplessness that so many of us must confront.  I am trained as a trauma therapist. Because of what I had to say to him, quite unexpectedly, he wants to refer his patients to me. I believe that many would do better if the mental health issues which arise and which most are unprepared for were addressed in the home, particularly during early recovery. I am wondering if help like this might be something that you or anyone else on this forum would take advantage of? There are absolutely no services like that where I live. My surgeon obviously knows that these issues come up but up until now, had nothing to offer his patients. I would so appreciate feedback from you and all of my friends on the forum ! Once I'm better, I have accepted this position with him. Blessings.  Cindy

• Posted

What a great outcome for you and for your surgeon's patients! Just super.

• Posted

What an opportunity that could be, Cindy.  And good on the surgeon for seeing the need for that kind of service.  

Just off the top of my head right now, I'm thinking of the information session my surgeon had.  (Where I am in Victoria, BC, Canada, we have an organization called Rebalance.  All the surgeons are house there.  The physios are there. Offices for splints and orthotics.  I think it is really well done.) Once you have your surgery day, you have an information meeting with people having hip surgery within a month of you.  All sorts of things are presented -- length of stay in hospital, medications, how to get in the car, etc., etc.  

I think there was nothing on the emotional side of surgery.  Nothing about how you might feel -- the depression and tears and fears and worries, etc.  If other places have a similar organization, this might be the place to start.  Let people know that depression can be a factor.  Isolation can be huge.  Etc. etc.     Maybe then more about the supports in place for this (though I"m not sure we have any.....but perhaps you could be part of that).

Just to be told that these feelings are normal and maybe expected could be such a help to patients.

Good luck with this and it will be interesting to read on here the other ideas.

Hugs,

Leslie

• Posted

Hi,

I have no idea what to expect as I had THR 11 days ago. A couple days ago I just found myself crying as I was eating breakfast. I so happy I found this site all the feed back is great!

• Posted

Hi Cindy and Leslie ---

you are so lucky !!!!  I don't think there is anything like that here in Holland or at least not in my surroundings - Dutch people are tough - grin and bear it and move on - 

I have lived in Los Angeles for 34 years (been back in Holland for 2 years) and was part of a "living with a chronic illness" program from a big HMO as a volunteer/presentor - participants were ex-patients recovering from major surgery and how to deal with physical and especially emotional aspects of recovery - As a volunteer I had patients assigned to me who could also call me when needed - 

Good luck - I think it is a wonderful initiative and sorely needed - 

there is still a big stigma on emotional inbalance - to take away feelings of shame is a great start -

big warm hug and please keep us posted 

renee

• Posted

hi cindy, 

see my previous response - 

Wow, one on one ?  

Even in these days people are still apprehensive to admit that they have emotional (let alone mental health) issues and need help - 

I think it is a wonderful of your surgeon to refer them to you, should you decide to take his offer - 

I would definitely taken this opportunity to get help-

One practical question : how about the payment? 

I am asking this because some alternative (complimentary) treatment was suggested to me but I had to pay 60 Euros per session and I couldn't  afford it ... 

I am so exited for you --you'd be perfect for it 

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee! Thank you for the feedback. The payment would be pretty minimal. As much as an insurance co-pay. The idea obviously didn't arise as a get rich quick scheme but instead as a much needed service for those that are left in shock and isolation after such a traumatic blow to the body. I was soooooo unprepared for the aftermath and in retrospect; what a frightening experience the first 2 months were for me. Although the surgery is so well worth it, people should not have to go through this alone. Even individuals that do have caregivers can feel isolated and alone. I know for myself, I had many people in my home trying to help but who were absolutely clueless ( through no fault of their own). Everyone's experience will be different, but, I believe that the option should still be available. Blessings.  Cindy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.