Depression and frustration are setting in for me.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Im 8 1/2 weeks out of tkr and still have a lot of swelling and my knee feels like it's stuffed with about a million cotton balls.  Im in PT three times a week, using heat and lots of ice and am back to the pool this week with exercises especially with my ham strings.  I attended my first big outing last night and came home with a very stiff knee and more swelling.  I've been off pain Meds for about a week.  I'm beginning to regret the surgery and just want a life again.  I've read through the discussions but when will this end?  I'm scheduled for a major trip in October and wonder if I'll be up for it.  I'm 73 years old.  Thank you for reading this and for any suggestions you might have.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was so similar to what you're describing Judith after my first TKR, so I can really relate.  Coupled with probably not given a lot of info before your TKR the worry takes off all on its own.  Don't be too concerned about the pain meds - take one if you feel you need to.

Please don't regret the surgery, it's a long process and really you are quite new in the process.  Don't worry, it will improve. When you get your life back I can promise you it will be much better than it was before.  I had one probably pretty much when you did and I'm focussing on doing the things I haven't been able to do for nearly 40 years - like dance classes, long distance walks and I get super excited about being able to do that soon.  So try and focus on what you want to achieve in your life too and it will take away from the thought of the surgery.

Please let us know how you are going.

• Posted

Hi Judith, I'm just over 12 weeks and beleive me the difference in the way I feel now to the way I felt at 81/2 weeks is amazing. You sound like your doing the right things and you will feel better soon you may still get stiffness but that's normal

and it can take a year to feel normal again. I'm sure you will be fine for your trip in October you will find you get better every week. I'm going in my first trip in October as well. Take care.

• Posted

Hang in there Judith! You are only 8 1/2 weeks post-op....it can take 6mths to a year for full recovery. Some people are lucky and are better sooner. I'm 8mths post. I have occasional pain on the inner part of my knee, but most times I am fine. I know that this time last year, I was in excruciating pain, and had to wear a brace to walk. You will get there. Keep doing your exercises, it will come!!

• Posted

This is Judith....going into 11 weeks next Tuesday.  I am finally beginning to feel better and actually have had 2 nights in a row of fairly good sleep...only up 3 times!

Im back into my water aerobics class and can tell you all that this has helped so very much!   This forum has been a life saver for me and I just wanted to thank you all for your information, time and thoughfullness in your replies.  My ham strings are still very tight, but I'm working on them.  My knee still feels like it's stuffed with cotton balls but each week it improves a bit.  For those of you reading this for the first time...take your pain pills and have tons of patience!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.