depression and Prostatitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I would like to ask if the members here with Prostatitis are suffering depression.

The reason I ask is because the surgery phoned and said that it was a symptom that goes with the disease and there was a counselling clinic and did I want to join.

After the call it made me think that I am and have been for a while ( maybe the lack of sleep wears one down) just wondering what others think.

regards

Howard.

0 likes, 18 replies

Report

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

    I have not heard that theory before but surely any long term illness will make many people depressed.

    Did you want to join their group? If you are not depressed before you go mixing with those who are will either make you depressed or happy that you are not as bad as they are.

    When I went to cardio rehab I found that nearly all had much less serious conditions and simpler procedures than I had been through but while all but one was younger than me they all acted much older and were much less able.   

    Report
  • Posted

    no chance of me joining any group telling strangers my life story.derek
    Report
  • Posted

    I just googled and got the following.

    re:  57% of the chronic prostatitis patients produced generally unelevated MMPI profiles, whereas the remaining 43% fell into two groups with distinct patterns of distress. The results indicate depression and psychosocial distress are common among chronic prostatitis patients, calling for careful evaluation and attention to psychological symptoms.

    Report
    • Posted

      I had to Google MMPI.

      My previous GP went on an Autogenic Therapy training course, I think partly for his own benefit but then gave up being a GP to devote himself to it. It possibly would help prostatitis patients.

      Report
  • Posted

    Me and my Black Dog have just climbed down from a perfectly good Suspension Bridge to answer this...!

    In all seriousness though Howard,  I believe it is a not uncommon feature of this illness.  Which for a variety of reasons, some obvious,  others not,   impacts on general health and self esteem,  Presumably,  learning more in this area couldn't hurt ?

    There would seem to be nothing to lose in attending the Clinic, even in a noncommittal frame of mind. 

    Good luck with it all.

    regards

    dudley

    Report
    • Posted

      I was brought up believing that my great grandfather Felix was found dead at the bottom of Salisbury Crags in Edinburgh. No one seemed to know if the had been blown over, pushed or jumped.

      I eventually had contact with a helpful person in the Scottish records office who got me a copy of his death certificate and the procurator fiscals report that it was suicide. I had to translate, felo de se on the death certificate. 

      Latin for "felon of himself", an archaic legal term meaning suicide. Evidently at one time I you were a suicide you were secretly buried at a cross roads with a stake through your heart! Your family were not entitled to inherit. 

      It did actually turn out that it was the son of  Felix with the same name who had died.

      Report
    • Posted

      A tragic but interesting story derek, such a shame that a person can be so trobled as to take their life. My nephew was 21 and into glue sniffing Etc.

      before that he was a very bright lad with 5 "O" levels, to cut a long story short he was not seen for 4 day's ( it was a very hot Summer )the person that lived in the bed sit next to him complained about a very bad smell, they broke down the bed sit door and found he had hung himself, they could only identify him by the tattoos as the body was so badly decomposed.

      ( I wonder what makes people do those things ?, maybe the topic of a new discussion. )

      kind regards

      Howard

      Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up