Depression, anger and LOTS of crying

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am 5 weeks post op TKR. My doctor didn't prescribe physical therapy, simply sent me home with 6 exercises to do 3 times a day and I do them every day. My leg is still very stiff, I have only as much ROM as I did when I left the hospital. I feel like my doctor doesn't care. When I call the office with a question I am given the impression that I am "bothering them". My depression has spiraled out of control, I am angry all the time, sometimes hostile and lashing out. Then there is the crying. I cry all the time, every day. I don't have a support system, live in a remote area and am alone 95 percent of the day. Someone please tell me this Will get better, that I am not losing my mind. I simply want my life back.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I understand what you're going through. I did in home therapy twice a week and I did exercises on my own. I had pain and swelling and my knee was stiff and hard to bend. I was very discouraged with my progress and I was depressed and cried a lot. But by the eighth week or so I started feeling better and was walking better. It will one year on May 9th. I Took a trip to New Orleans in November and did really well. I hope this helps a bit.

• Posted

Hi, please don't despair. I had very limited ROM for weeks and weeks. I am now 12 months post TKR and now have 70-73 Degrees ROM. I had lots of pain and emotion as fitness was my life.

It is a long road but keep doing those excerises everyday but do not overdo it or you will cause additional swelling.

Keep your chin up.

• Posted

My brother has had both knees replaced and told me I was pushing myself too hard, my expectations too high of myself. He also told me that in a year I would wake up and the pain would be gone but I have my very own built in barometer lol, that 3-4 days in advance I would know when the weather was going to change. That's really when it gets stiff and hurts the most. Everyone on here has been wonderful. Thank you all for helping get through last week.

• Posted

Ya gotta give up ALL expectations. That's not easy. I completely rehabbed a hip replacement in six weeks total. Therapy pool and gym 5 hours a day, six days a week. Pushed myself and got it done. I EXPECTED the knee to be the same...WRONG!!!!!

Completely different experience. The early pain was nutz, the ROM work was intense, got sciatica at 5 weeks, "balloon knee" when I pushed too hard, then spinal stenosis at 8 months. Had to get past that fusion before I could finish the knee rehab.

But at three years post-op, it's like it never happened...except for kneeling on concrete, tile or hardwood floors. Don't do that... Recovery is a long, slow journey. Your brain is your worst enemy. Use your ears instead and listen to what the knee is telling you...

• Posted

HI! I Have a similar situation. I had TKR and then 9 months later had my C4-C7 fused together and had to stop my TKR therapy. i have been miserable for a long time and feel i have fallen back into such pain that i wont get my knee working again. How long did it take to recover from the the spinal stenosis so you could get back to the knee? I am glad to hear there is someone else like me and hope that i will be back to normal some day.

• Posted

OMG!!! Me too!!! Eight months after the TKR...spinal stenosis at L2/L3...could barely walk and had to put the rehab on hold. Didn't get the fusion for four months. Was feeling better, like getting back to the TKR work when my lower back started really aching me. Stopped the rehab. Needed a decompressive laminectomy a few months later because the fusion worked TOO WELL!!! There was so much bone growth that it started pressing on a lot of surrounding nerves. Still not 100% 3 years post TKR but working on it...

Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF) for the stenosis...

• Posted

WOW That looks like a lot of hardware. I need a picture of mine... i was 5 months post surgery and went back to my family doctor and said something is just not right, I cant walk and it doesnt seem to be coming from my knee. We had both a MRI on my neck and my lumbar spine and found i was so severe with the cervical spine that i needed surgery as soon as possible. There is also some stenosis in my lumbar spine but we cant look at that right now, 2 major surgery's in a 9 month period is all they will do right now... I have a hard time walking but i think this is from my nerve being pinched for so long that its taking a long time for the feelings to come back in my lower legs.

I am driving my husband crazy because he was hoping for a faster recovery and it has been one thing after another. Just wondering if you had been in an accident or if you just had age, arthritis , or something cause your situation.

• Posted

I have a TLIF fusion (rails and screws, posterior entry) of L3 to S1. When I got stenosis at L2/L3, my doc told me that he could rip out all the hardware and TLIF fuse me from L2 to S1. 12 days in the hospital, 6 months in a brace, 4 months rehab...OR...

Use the lateral (go in from your side) LLIF method. One overnight in the hospital, no brace, no rehab. Yeah...I think I'll do that one. Immediate relief. It was like magic. Except I grew too much bone and he needed to go back in and clear that out.

Go to YouTube and search for "Globus LLIF" to see the basic technique and then "Globus Calibur" or "Globus RISE" to see how the device expands (like a car jack) to open the space between the vertebrae. This relieves stenosis by opening up the foraminal canals pinching those nerves. Amazing op.

Hardware? THIS IS HARDWARE!!!

• Posted

I am sorry to hear how depressed you are feeling! A knee replacement is a major op and is very painful! Have you been back to the hospital for physio? The excercises should increase as the weeks pass until the 6th week when things should be much easier! Do you use ice every 2 hours? The mental state after any op is usually low and only you can get yourself out of this trough! You say you are by yourself for 95% of the day, I am assuming someone returns late in the day and is there overnight?

I had my second TKR two weeks ago. My husband had to go away 2 days ago for 2 weeks! I have filled the fridge with ready meals and as soon as I get out of bed I put the local radio on which is my friend for the day until the evening when I put the tv on.

Puzzles and colouring also help keep me sane in the day. I am not in a remote place so can walk out on my crutches and I will see life!

You will get over this it does get easier I had my other leg done this time last year. Although it still aches sometimes Idont have the excruciating pain I used to get.

You are nearly at the 6 week point now and should be able to drive again soon. Once you can reconnect with your life you will feel mentally better!

Be aware that some pain meds can give you feelings of depression!

Take care you are nearly there!

• Posted

i truly feel for you..... i would guess that probably 80% of us going through this felt exactly the same .....i certainly did ! This is perfectly normal. Although my husband cared for me, i felt so alone. If i got some strange twinge or ache or something usual, there was no one to ask if this was normal, thats why this site is brilliant ! whatever you experience, someone else has had it too or even worse. If you were told your op was a success then it WILL get better, but it does take time. In the beginning i kept thinking, what have i done to myself? ,but I'm so glad i had it done.....I'm pain free in that knee! a year on & now Im looking forward to my other knee being done. Hope this has helped in some small way, there's always someone on the other end of a question! Good luck !

• Posted

I can empathise with how difficult it must be living in a remote area with little support, but don't stress about not having physiotherapy yet. Many have it at an early stage with negative effects. I'm 8 weeks post TKR. I came home with 6 exercises to do 3 times daily. Some of them were agonising to do and I ended just doing what I could, stopping if it got beyond uncomfortable and gradually building up. My ROM stayed pretty static too. I started a post operative physio class at 6 weeks, just once weekly for 6 weeks, and it has gradually improved. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he was very pleased with progress, said my ROM was excellent and wound looked great. He reassured me that the pain, stiffness, swelling, clunks and clicks were all,things he would expect at this stage and for up to 6 months. I was told beforehand that recovery from TKR is long and painful. It comes in 3 stages, at 6 weeks, 12 weeks and a year, but all recoveries are different. Think of it as a marathon. We all start on the same line, but we don't finish at the same time. Some of us will fall down and have to pick ourselves up again. Some will go off course and find they have to,retrace their steps. It's not always a straight line. At 5 weeks you are only 1/10 of the way to full recovery. There are 2 types of exercise, those that help you regain ROM and strengthening exercises. At this stage it's mainly rest, ice and elevation to keep the swelling down that will increase your ROM. You really don't need to do much more than short walks, light domestic duties, heel slides and knee hangs. I think my ROM stayed the same for the first 6 weeks, but there has been significant improvement in the past 2 weeks. It will get better. Are you keeping on top of your pain? I think you should try to speak or see your GP and ask about physio and maybe for something to help with your depression. This is a hard and painful recovery, but you will get through it. Take care and be kind to yourself.

• Posted

I am sending you positive vibes & prayers. My first knee was two yrs ago and i cried over insignificant things.You are not alone. I asked myself repeatedly why i would do this to myself then would remind myself the pain i was in before the surgery. I'm getting my second one done in May. It's terrible that your Doctor is so apathetic. Please don't loose hope. Listen to some great music and do puzzles. This will be just a memory soon! We all care about you! Your Doctor should be ashamed. Pray

• Posted

presumably you are not in England. so sorry you are feeling so low and unsupported. It is definitely a rough ride for weeks and months. i had individual physio for a few sessions and now attend a weekly knee clinic where physios help us do more exercises. We also had a very comprehensive manual to go with the op which sets out a series of 7 exercises to be done 4 times a day. keep strong you will get through this x

• Posted

You need to call your doctors office and demand a script for PT. My doctor prescribed 4 weeks of home therapy and 9 weeks of of outpatient PT. It is important to get your ROM before scar tissue forms. The depression is real and I had a support system. I cried for months and i assure you that it will get better with time, it took about 8-10 weeks before I felt human again. This board is very helpful as we have been through this and can give support. No one understands unless they have been through it.

Sending prayers for your recovery.

Barb

• Posted

Stiffness goes away gradually over time all by itself. Takes 12-18 months. Normal. So is the depression, but for this, just know that it's actually a Jedi Mind Trick and almost always occurs in body part replacement patients...

Post Op Depression

It's a condition all the docs know about but never mention...ever. Once you know what it really is, you kick it out the back door. Done. Be strong and know you can beat it.

• Posted

Thats do true about post op depression! I was told about it when I had heart surgery because it can be a big problem, then I had quite extensive rehab twice a week and a home visit from a shrink to see if I was okay or dangerously depressed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.