Depression, anger and LOTS of crying

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am 5 weeks post op TKR. My doctor didn't prescribe physical therapy, simply sent me home with 6 exercises to do 3 times a day and I do them every day. My leg is still very stiff, I have only as much ROM as I did when I left the hospital. I feel like my doctor doesn't care. When I call the office with a question I am given the impression that I am "bothering them". My depression has spiraled out of control, I am angry all the time, sometimes hostile and lashing out. Then there is the crying. I cry all the time, every day. I don't have a support system, live in a remote area and am alone 95 percent of the day. Someone please tell me this Will get better, that I am not losing my mind. I simply want my life back.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sherri...you will get your life back but it takes time. Some days it feels like you will never get better.....but it does. Im at almost 16 weeks and still recovering. You do need physio. I use a gym now and if i miss my knee seems to get stiffer. i binged watched Netflix, read books and played games on my ipad. There is light at the end of the tunnel. i find this forum very helpful.

• Posted

I could have written this. I left hospital with the same details. No physio, appointment in 12 months with surgeon. Suprisingly at 15 weeks are fine with a good knee. So you will be fine. Do you live in England. Just let it go, decide not to do anything, plan nothing, look after yourself, exercise , You will come though. Be thinking of you. Susane

• Posted

No, I am not in England. I moved from a small city in Louisiana to God-forsaken North Central Arkansas. I only need a year to financially and physically get back on my feet and I am packing a few important family memories, my miniature dachshund a few clothes and going back to civilization.

• Posted

SHERRI.....Its sounding like are ready to fight back. Good luck

• Posted

Five weeks is still early , I didnt do a lot for first 6-7 weeks because too painful , just slowly bent and straightened it , and at about 8 weeks suddenly a big improvement . Just keep doing what you are , some days I could move it better than others , straightening often the hardest , difficult for you alone , and not surprising you feel so down. The surgery is very debilitating . Good luck , you will improve , have you seen the surgeon fir post op visit yet ?

• Posted

I experienced the same thing. Cried all the time and had insomnia. That is normal with long bone surgery. it does go away as you heAL! I promise. They don't tell you about that part of the surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery. TKR surgery is not for sissies! I had both mine done at the same time. Two years out and life is good!

• Posted

problem is your GP doesn't know about knees. you need to contact the guy who did the operation. where do u live? i can hardly walk and its three years after the op. Its a major op which I was coerced into and believed it would all be better in six weeks. they're crafty these limb surgeons - they don't tell you the full story xx

• Posted

3 years??? Thats a lawsuit! Why cant you walk? That is certainly not the norm I havent heard of anyone on this forum who had that much trouble!

• Posted

i know - its shocking

i've been to see another consutant who did a further op about a year ago bty placing a button like object between the patella and prosthetic but mechanically im still walking all wonky and my knee is swollen again. i have a further appointment with him on april 16 and ive requested an xray. x

• Posted

You are not alone in your crying and pain. I had someone at the grocery store ask me who I was so mad at because i was in such pain and looked like I was ready to let loose...I felt the same way and some days still do now and I am 11 months post TKR. I often say i wish I had never had the surgery, but then I'll meet someone who promises it will be worth it. I ride a stationary bike for exercise just to keep the knee moving. then ICE any time you feel like it, it does help. Some days even that is hard. I had my knee cracked at 5 months to break up scar tissue hoping that would help and then a week later I had another issue pop up...I had an MRI show that my spinal cord was being pinched and had to have 4 of my neck vertebrae fussed together which I am now 6 weeks post surgery from that. Keep your chin up and keep moving the knee as much as you can. Everyone has a different outcome for rehab time.. Cry when you want and keep pushing.

You are not alone in feeling depressed and pain. Keep pushing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.