Depression,anxiety and confusion

Posted , 7 users are following.

Me again.Anyone else feel depressed about this situation.My husband is the type that wants to be busy all the time.With this new problem..well realtively new..the atrophy,I have anxiety every day I wake up not knowing if I will feel good enough to go to the store,out to eat,trips etc.He on the other hand wants to be constantly on the go.I still have not decided to take HRT yet,so thus the confusion.I am really scared I will make the wrong choice as what to do about the therapy as well.I have had 3 different doctor opinions so far and that is depressing as it only confused me more,plus all the money its costing.Guess I could use some encourageing words.Thanks.I thought I sailed through menopause and it was over,didnt even know about atrophy..what a surprise and not a good one!

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi:  I am like your husband, go go go, but when I am having an "episode", uti and pain, it knocks me down so I know what you are talking about.  Also the depression is real, when I feel good I know how bad I feel when the pain starts.  I am taking the HRT cream, after 4 years I would take poison if it helped,, but even the HRT doesn't work all the time.  Also took 3 doctors to get a diagnosis but no answers.  good luck, this is a good place to talk to others
    • Posted

Thank you nancy.Good to know we arent alone.
  • Posted

Lee, I'm so sorry this is getting to you so much.  Just try and look on it as a blip that once it's sorted out, you can go on to thoroughly enjoy your life again.  And it WILL be sorted out.  I didn't know I had atrophy until very recently, purely because no-one had told me!  I understand where you're coming from.  My husband braked sharply a couple of times within two days and that made me sore, and he really didn't appreciate the problem, but there are so many solutions and it's just a case of finding the right one for you.  It might be trial and error, but each time you try something that doesn't work, look on it as a positive - that's one thing that you can rule out, but there are SO many other options to try!   I think doctors will be like midwives - when you have your children each midwife tells you to do a different thing and it gets confusing until you work out what's best for you.  So get as much advice as you can, write down your options and research them all online and then work through them, so you have a plan.  That will make you feel in control of the situation and also help:-)  I hope this might have lifted your spirits a bit:-)))))
  • Posted

Hi Chris,, your positive message to Lee made me realize it could be worse.  Its like entering a dark cave and when it subsides the light comes in.  We all need to keep up the hope
    • Posted

All I want for the new year is to get this under control.Wouldnt that be great.
    • Posted

I know it's so easy to get dragged down with stuff like this when we can't see the wood for the trees and can't imagine a way forward, but that way is there - it's just that we've not seen it yet:-))))  I just think this group is so great that we can learn from other's experiences too, but you also need to keep in mind that you might find something that others don't know about so be able to pass on new ideas as well:-))))
  • Posted

Hi Lee, I had never heard of Vaginal Atrophy till I got it a year ago either. No mention of it in women's magazines or anything. I told Doc I had never heard of it and asked how come there was never any mention of it. She said because its embarrassing. But its no more embarrassing than periods etc are. Anyway it was a big shock to me, I can tell you.

I will try and cut this short. Since a year ago, without seeing the side effects listed, I was first on GYNEST (HRT) and then Vagifem (HRT). Neither sorts of HRT did much to help my symptoms. Soreness and wanting to wee all the time. But looking back, they probably stopped any UTI's. I stopped using the HRT early August and wasn't too bad till about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've had 4 UTI's one after the other so 4 lots of antibiotics. I take my last capsule at 8pm tonight. Scared that by tomorrow the infection will have returned. So I've got 2 choices. A) Start using the Ovestin HRT but that's got strokes listed in the side effects and mum recently died of a severe stroke so obviously I'm scared of that option.

And

B) D Mannose. This is a natural option that is meant to be great for UTI'S, either preventing them or getting rid of the UTI'S if you have already got one. Only problem is its really expensive.

I am going to try the D Mannose before I look at HRT again, even if it is expensive. If it works I will be able to ditch both the antibiotics and the HRT and that will be great. Then I would just have to use Replens up inside to keep me lubricated and help with the soreness.

And yes I am depressed and utterly fed up of it. Like you I wake up wondering how I will feel and will I be able to cope, will I be able to do this, that and the other. It's costing a load of money too like you say. Really really sick of it. So you are definitely not on your own with all this. At least by coming here we know we are not alone with all this.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply..must be ao many women going through this.I dont know why more attn isnt given to it in magazines etc
  • Posted

Dear lee12629,

Try not to get too down and miserable-but it isn't easy. It is  a horrible thing. My sex life is no more-I have no supportive doctor, "he " still believe its just nature and I must accept it-of course thats a mans point of view.I don't think he would accept it so easily.HRT does have bad side effects. You don't want to ditch one set of problems and get another. I can only suggest you get onto using topical HRT , and pessaries to prevent the atrophy getting worse. It will help, and isn't  absorbed systemically like the other HRT. I do not know if you are in U.K or U.S.A, Please don't feel sad all alone-we are all here to help each other through lifes bad patches and we all understand xxxxx

• Posted

I really don't want to worry anyone unnecessarily but vagifem IS absorbed systemically.  Yes, the amount is lower than oral HRT, but if you look on vagifem's site there are warnings that should be taken seriously.  I know some will still feel the need to use it, but the decision should be taken based on the information available that doctors don't tell you.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply..nice to have such nice people to help.
  • Posted

Hi Lee, and ladies , I can empathize with your pligh , I too have had a weekend of pain and discomfort ,the dreaded stinging and general awfulness associated with this condition. I am on Vagifem which is working ok 'up there' it's just 'down there' that's the problem now , my doctor has advised  Ovestin for two weeks to use externally , I'm now nearing my first week and I'm praying it will work , I'm finding sitting and walking quite uncomfortable.

I' m wondering if all else fails would oral Hrt be the answer ? Has anyone got any comments , has anyone experience of this form of Hrt for tackling  this particular problem ?  it seems a last resort but I would like to have an emergency plan 

• Posted

Jools, have you tried organic coconut oil?  If you do, don't do what I did and slathered it on because it went through clothing, but just try a little.  I'm also trying hydramol now just out of interest to see what works best.  But before I had surgery I was using loads of vagisil but then when I realised what was in it, decided to try something less 'chemical' and the coconut oil did work.  I know some women on HRT do also need to use an internal moisturiser as well.
    • Posted

Hi Lee , yes Ovestin is an Hrt cream , I found it too painful to use externally for now , so an using E45 , finding that quite mild and soothing 
    • Posted

Let us know how you like the hydromol..id have to order that,im in the US.Is it alot like vaseline?
    • Posted

It's just an emollient cream , used to treat skin conditions , dr said it was gentle enough 

• Posted

The consistency is like vaseline, but you can mix it with warm water and use it instead of soap on delicate areas as well.  I've not tried that though because I'm happy with the prohydrate vagisil product that I started using a couple of weeks ago, in the shower.  If you want to hang on for a bit, I'll try it for a few more days and let you know what I make of it?
    • Posted

Hi Lee:  I am in the U.S. too... don't know where to order it so my daughter who is in the UK is bringing me some in December.  Where are you, can ask her to bring an extra and mail it to you.
    • Posted

Very sweet of you,but i will just order it if you think its worth useing..let me know ok?Thanks again:-)
    • Posted

I've contacted the company that makes it today because I just got a bit worried.  I KNOW that people can write anything on the internet and I had read on a few places that it was fine for internal use, but when I looked at the ingredients, to double check if it was OK for use with my pessary I found it was oil based (although some sites - NOT the actually company, said it was water based) and then found it was petroleum jelly based and some sites are saying this shouldn't be used internally for a whole variety of reasons, so I thought it best to ask Hydromol and I will come back and post when I get a reply from them:-)
    • Posted

Hi Lee:  well looks like I am experiencing another UTI... discouraging... goes a few months then back again.   
    • Posted

Nancy, if you've had this more than once, is the doctor sending off a sample to culture it to find out WHAT bacteria it is?  Because that's their guidelines, that they should do that.  Then they should give you the appropriate antibiotic to treat that particular bacteria.
    • Posted

Hi Nancy,im so sorry you arent feeling well.I do hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hi chris. thanks. Dr cultures. Has been E. coli n bacterial

In the past. Just so discouraging because no matter what I do the most I can go is three or four months and back it comes last time it took three anabiotic's to get the right one the sad part is I seem to be getting resistant to many of the antibiotics… I haven't gone yet to do the culture will go tomorrow

• Posted

Thanks Lee. It's always discouraging when I get the first feel of another bladder infection… Doing everything I can but it just seems to find its way back every few months
    • Posted

Nancy, did  you see that Mail article I posted the other day?  That mentioned e.coli and resistance to various bacteria.    I hope they can give you something that will clear it.  I know Shirley's having success with the D Mannose, but it is expensive.  Take care of yourself.
    • Posted

I have tried the D Mannose and it worked for awhile.. everything does, then the infections come from who knows where.... I did see the article... its a mystery each time... hoping this runs its course quickly..
    • Posted

thanks Lee.   this website is such a help, to talk to people who know what it is like to go thru this.... 
    • Posted

Oh that must be so frustrating!  I hope this one is under control quickly - do keep us updated.  We'll be thinking of you!
    • Posted

You are all the best on this website... the kind words and encouragement help so much.
    • Posted

Yes the D Mannose has worked for me. Very expensive though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.