Depression because of pain, any pain solutions?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am fearful, every time I urinate. Some have mentioned pain medication. What would help in terms of pain medication , without drying out, which just makes the LS worse. Any suggestions? Also urine is making inflammation worse. Anyone dealing with fissures. I would also like to know of any barrier topicals to keep the urine off the skin.  Thank you

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try lidocaine gel,which is available from your doctor,or can be bought over the counter from a chemist,they may have to order it in for you,I find this very good,I am waiting to have a bladder stretch because it's is one of the things lichens cause narrowing of the bladder,maybe this is what you need,hope the lidocaine helps,before I got this gel,I was at my wits end,take care,thinking of you Cynthia,I know what you are going through x x xEdwina 
    • Posted

thank you, edwina. it helps to know that others can relate. It is hard for other people to remain tolerant of someone in this much pain. I admit, I am no fun to be around, which makes me feel very guilty, and even think less of myself. Have you put the lidocaine gel on an open fissure or cut in that area?I do have the gel, but have not tried.Used briefly in doctor office when I thought I was going to get a biopsy, but then it was not done.Thank you  so much for your concern and suggestion.
  • Posted

Cynthia, have you looked at your diet? People that are in a lot of pain often need to take drastic measures I think, and so I would consider going dairy free first to see if that helps and then Gluten free if you do not see any improvement.
    • Posted

Thank -you.  I have done this to an extent. I am not interested in sugar anymore, very little dairy, gluten I need to work on. I could certainly do better.I need to find some lubrication,as I am post menopausal, and the dryness is a big factor for me. I need to have more protection on that area. If that is possible, the urine wouldnot burn as much. Has anyone tried hormonal therapy, or a product called Replens, which is over the counter? I used to use it before the LS, but wonder if anyone has experience using it with the LS.
    • Posted

I am always lubricated.  I use coconut oil or just plain old Lube, and I find as long as I remember to spray myself with a little bit of water with a pinch of Bic Soda added I feel better, and then I always put on the lubrication afterwards.  Never ever let yourself be dry down there, and especially more so before you go to bed.
    • Posted

Thank you. Do you mean k-y jelly or what do you mean by Lube?I am going to try your baking soda remedy.I never thoughtof coconut oil. It doesnot burn?
    • Posted

Not K-Y jelly, Cynthia. It's water-based. Use anything heavy and oily. Plain ol' Vaseline is fine. Or food grade coconut oil (it's solid like shortening) from the health food store. And drink lots of water so your urine isn't concentrated.

I have had a fissure more or less a third of the time for decades, but they're much shallower and not painful after 18 months of treatment with Dermovate. My gynae just switched me to Protopic (tacrolimus) ointment.

• Posted

Cynthia, you will be fine using Coconut oil,  Emu oil, or Vaseline.  I have lots of allergies so thats why I sometimes use Lube, but you really do need something that will stay on for a while and not slide off..if you look online you can easily find these products and order them at home, in fact its better to have a couple of different ones to use and alternate them.  Coconut oil doesnt burn, I find it smells quite strong but I still use it with no problems.  
    • Posted

I so agree.  If i shower in morning and every evening and use Cetaphil, a gentle emollient cleaner, and then coconut oil i am very comfortable.  If i try to go without either at either time i get inflamed.  It is so importan  to stay lubricated and I love coconut oil and it took some persuading from these nice ladies to make me try it.  But the area must be kept free of urine and lubricated with a gentle product.
  • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear you are having such a rotten time. I have used Replens but didn't think it was much help.  I used Epaderm, it's looks a bit like goose fat, but doesn't smell. It's easy to apply and keeps you well lubricated. Rinse with water after every 'wee' and reapply the Epaderm, it's not as runny as the oils, and stays in place, if you add a touch of water to the Edaderm it can also be used to wash said area .

hope this is of help. x

• Posted

Hi Lorna, Do you use the Epaderm cream or ointment? I have looked it up online, and would have to order. I think it is used for many skin issues, but cannot find info to say it is safe for mucous membrane areas. Thanks, Cynthia
    • Posted

Hi Cynthia

I  bought a small tub of the Ointment to try and as it was very successful, I then got a very large tub on prescription. I have 2 pages of info which I received a couple of years ago which I could photocopy and email to you if you wish. It's all about LS and how to make day to day more comfortable. Use of steroid, Epaderm, Emu oil, UTI and self examination etc.

Regards Lorna 

• Posted

Hi Lorna, What ointment did you get?Yes, I would like the information.How do I get you my contact info?    Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Cynthia 

I use Dermovate steroid ointment and Epaderm ointment as a barrier

For the other info, ​do you have an email address?

• Posted

Hi Lorna, Others are also recommending Epaderm. That would be helpful for lubrication, and to protect cuts, in that area?I have an e-mail of course, but How to get it to you? I tried to put it in the reply, but it is being moderated. Some of the ladies in this discussion talk about sending a private message. Do you know how to do this? If anyone does, please advise me.   Cynthia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.