Depression - poem

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,I've recently started writing poems as a way of helping with my depression.

So anyway here's one of my poems,hope you like,I've never shown anyone other than my counsellor before.

Your mind is working overtime,you wish you could stop these thoughts

If only you could find a way,if only you'd been taught.

Take each day as it comes,take each step as you see them

As the Latin say 'carpe diem'

Life doesn't always turn out the way you'd hoped it'd go

Your feeling weak,insecure or just generally low

But there's always a way out,you just need to seek

Pick yourself up,be strong,stand on your own two feet

Everyone in life have their ups and downs

Your certainly not alone

Life's never as bad as you may think

Nothing is set in stone

Don't let yourself be brought down by sadness nor hate

You can change things if you try,you can decide your own fate

So if you're feeling alone or just a little sad

Don't dwell on what you haven't got

And think of the things you have!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, it's Athol. I wasn't saying your poems aren't good, by the way, but I think there is something in putting those feelings and thoughts 'outside' of ourselves. By writing it down (or painting or music etc.) you have to think about your experience in a different way and you can look at it more as an observer of your situation rather than being so involved in it. By putting what is inside, outside, it creates a space between you and it.
  • Posted

Hi sorry athol,yes I know that's not what you were saying smile

I was just saying that it is a comfort for me,it's what helps me through the day

And yes I understand completely what you're saying and you're right! When I read my poems back it's almost like its written by someone else and I can try to disect the poem and its meaning therefore helping myself understand,if that makes sense? Ok here's one of my poems that in a way may kind of explain what I mean?

Today has been hard,been feeling really low,Had no one I could talk to and nowhere I could go

So I sit myself down,take out my pen,open my book and write a open again

I write down these thoughts and feelings of mine as I find it easier to express them through rhyme

You see,this book it's like my journal it helps fill an empty space and somehow as I'm writing the words fall into place

In a way its a comfort as I can read them back and see how tough the days can sometimes get for me

I can also see the changes that I need to make,where things started to go wrong,where I'm making my mistakes

So I will keep on writing poems for as long as I feel the need,until the sadness goes away and the happy me is freed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.