Depression - poem

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,I've recently started writing poems as a way of helping with my depression.

So anyway here's one of my poems,hope you like,I've never shown anyone other than my counsellor before.

Your mind is working overtime,you wish you could stop these thoughts

If only you could find a way,if only you'd been taught.

Take each day as it comes,take each step as you see them

As the Latin say 'carpe diem'

Life doesn't always turn out the way you'd hoped it'd go

Your feeling weak,insecure or just generally low

But there's always a way out,you just need to seek

Pick yourself up,be strong,stand on your own two feet

Everyone in life have their ups and downs

Your certainly not alone

Life's never as bad as you may think

Nothing is set in stone

Don't let yourself be brought down by sadness nor hate

You can change things if you try,you can decide your own fate

So if you're feeling alone or just a little sad

Don't dwell on what you haven't got

And think of the things you have!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I haven't started my counselling yet, I'm still on the waiting list. I do see a lady from the cmht once a month though and it's kind of like a counselling session.

I'm glad that writing your poems helps you, i know that it certainly helped me, especially at a time when i had nobody to talk to about my problems.

• Posted

Hi sunset x

I hope you get to see a counsellor soon its one of the best things I've done it took me a long time to build up

the courage to go and see someone as I'm really shy and lack confidence but I'm really glad I did it as it helps to have someone to talk to.

Donna x

• Posted

Thanks Donna,

I've been waiting quite a while now sad I did have a choice to go to a group cbt session but I decided I would prefer to wait for one-to-one counselling, I didn't feel comfortable about going to the group thing. It's ok though I knew I would have to wait. Sometimes I wonder whether it will be worth me going, and whether I will find it helpful, and that I feel much better anyway with the medication I'm taking. Will just have to see how I feel when it comes to the time.

xx

• Posted

I also was offered group therapy but it wasn't for me,I knew I wouldn't be able to speak up in a group so it would have been a waste of time.

I also found one to one really scary but as each session comes and goes it becomes that little bit easier and I'm lucky to have such a nice counsellor,he is great.

Its good that you're feeling better now but when the opportunity arises I would say go for it!

Even if you just try it the once,after all what have you got to lose? smile

Donna x

• Posted

Yeah guess I am nervous about it aswell, I've been having the appointments with the lady from the cmht but I don't really feel that I've found it that helpful. My next one was in a couple of weeks, but just had a letter today saying they've had to rearrange it to May, so got a while to wait for my next one now. I just feel like I'm wasting their time when I'm going but not really finding it that helpful. I never talk about anything unless I'm asked, I never really know what to say so I only answer the questions she asks me. Yeah I think I would at least try the counselling once, if I can be brave enough. X
  • Posted

Just heard a professional colleague talk about Resilence and it got me thinking - I would not call this poetry (I can't claim to have Donna's talent :-))

Resilence have you ever heard of such a thing

The ability to bend but not break

Once buried under the weight of depression

But now out, up and about again

Resilence can be true or false

Resilence is not about life being a bed of roses

But undertsanding that it is okay to fall and to get back up again

Resilence is false if hidden behind pretence

The denial that nothing is wrong, the lie that I am always strong

Resilence is not about the abscence of fear

but the refusal to submit to fear

Yes I might fail if I try

But I am going to try anyway

It might not be now, or tomorrow but someday soon

I shall be free of the shadows that haunt me

the cords that bind me will become loose and eventually fall off

As I take baby steps, wading through the waters into the light.

• Posted

On my first counselling session I stood outside too nervous to go in,I nearly walked away but I'd phoned a friend and she persuaded me to go in which I did and it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated,don't get me wrong I was scared,didn't talk to much,he did most of the talking but even just to listen to his advice was helpful,every week I open up that little bit more,there's one big issue I have which he knows of but doesn't know the details,imscared to say and he doesn't push it but as I'm getting more confident now I'm hoping I can have the courage to talk about it.

So again I'd say try it! It might be scary at first but for me it's helped not only with my depression but also with my confidence.

Donna xx

• Posted

Hi Bella x

That is really good smile of course its poetry,

Poetry doesn't have to ryhme,that's just my way

I think that is great! probably much better than mine

Well done smile

Donna xx

• Posted

Thanks Donna xx
  • Posted

smile Thanks Donna xx you are amazing!
  • Posted

Aww,not sure about amazing but thank you smile No thanks needed,was just my honest opinion.You should write some more!

Here's a little poem I wrote in bed last night-

I had an ok day today,was good,I managed a smile

But this feeling didn't extend to tonight,it only lasted a little while.

I thought that maybe things would change but all alas,alack

As soon as I feel I could be happy the sadness comes flooding back.

But I will keep on fighting,I'll keep on pushing through

It's the only way I know how,it's what I have to do.

So I'll end this poem now before saying goodnight

As I'm going to need all my strength for tomorrow's fight.

• Posted

Wonderful poems. Thank you for sharing them with us. I can only agree with what everybody else has said. I have written poems myself at times in the past to help me get some distance between me and the experience. I know it helps and you have reminded me how helpful it is. You have inspired me to try using it again. The poems don't have to be 'good' they just have to be real, and yours are. Thank you again.
  • Posted

Thank you atho?

It is a really good way of getting things off your chest and no you're right its not a case of them being of good quality it's just what helps you through the day be it poems,music or whatever it may be we all need something to help take away or at least lessen the pain xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.